I have been studying many builds of Mike's great kit and I just wanted to give CABOUR the credit he deserves. His build has been my great inspiration throughout. Most everything from the bracing, to the screws have been inspired from his build. I hope I can do him some justice.
More depth added to the top engine plate. Drilled out a few pipes and added internal detail. Although not correct I wanted to add some type of photo etched grill to the main intakes on the front. Once touched up with some styrene, filler and painted carefully they, should look the part.
Wasn't too happy with the tubing on the landing bay sides. They didn't cast very well from the original. Decided to replace them with new Styrene rod. Tedious works trying to get the bends aligned and try to hide the cut resin below.
I have been quietly making progress. Cast and added additional track links to the rear upper engine area and also added the distinctive "Mickey Mouse Ear" antenna dishes. Also cleaned up and hollowed out a rear landing pod entrance, with additional scribbing. Will re-cast a couple and added the T strips.
I finished casting the landing bay entrances. Hollowed out.
I've been giving the landing bays some thought. I think I will go with a short box structure with the kit supplied decal back-lit. This will also feature the landing sequence lights. 12 Fibers per box linked to a sequencing board. Run from the same power source as the main lights. I am using a slat type sheet for the landing deck. With a careful wash it should be highlighted to resemble decking.
I created a tray type contraption to hold the electronics for the sequencing lights so they can be easily removed as a section. They are connected to the bay ends and simply insert into the bays themselves. This is all held together with a simple, "extra strong' pair of magnets. A real pain to get it lined up as the magnets together tend to shift the parts. After much fiddling I got them positioned. A nice tight fit.