Limited Run SaberBay DARKSABER season 3 finish now available (limited quantities) saberbay.com

EDIT: Sold.

Selling my complete unweathered kit with blade, chassis etc if anyone missed out and is looking for one. It’s in-hand, new in box and ready to ship. Can reach me on FB for quicker response.

Last edited:
Hopefully this video will help anyone with the LED and decal application. Sorry I'm a bit camera shy, this is 2 videos in one and I am unable to record more video at the moment due to a shop flood.

No need to apoligise for being camera shy, very well done and informative for others.... neat video mate :)

Wow, it's the first time I've looked at this thread only to realize the run has already ended.

I read on the first page that those who also wanted a hilt would be put on a list to purchase any available hilts? Are there plans for a future run, or is it over after the remaining hilts have been sold? I'd like to know if I completely missed chances, or if there's still hope haha.

Last edited:
Wow, it's the first time I've looked at this thread only to realize the run has already ended.

I read on the first page that those who also wanted a hilt would be put on a list to purchase any available hilts? Are there plans for a future run, or is it over after the remaining hilts have been sold? I'd like to know if I completely missed chances, or if there's still hope haha.
There is still hope
We have many units that the factory was re working one part for
They will not be offered until they are ready to ship and we have taken care of everyone else who has paid and waited for so long
If interested please email justin@saberbay.com

Hey guys! Any members on here who might be interested in doing an install commission on my saber and blade? I regret not opting for it in the beginning lol…

Really enjoyed working on this. After looking back at the prop shown during Celebration, I decided on higher contrast grips compared to my initial blackening. As an added bonus, the hilt feels much nicer in the hand with the softer polished grips.

I also ended up going with the solid blade, which I think captures the look from the show a little better.

F416A212-C6BF-4A9E-B0EA-97B7E6B6CB6A.jpeg

Really enjoyed working on this. After looking back at the prop shown during Celebration, I decided on higher contrast grips compared to my initial blackening. As an added bonus, the hilt feels much nicer in the hand with the softer polished grips.

I also ended up going with the solid blade, which I think captures the look from the show a little better.

View attachment 1678361
View attachment 1678362
View attachment 1678363
Looks stunning! I too really like it with the solid black. Looks clean!

Hopefully this video will help anyone with the LED and decal application. Sorry I'm a bit camera shy, this is 2 videos in one and I am unable to record more video at the moment due to a shop flood.
Thats crazy how just a one sided pixel trip gets that bright, Im curious and im sure you’ve tried all options, would those KR pixel sticks work too? They seem thin for double sided, wondering how much brighter they would make the blade?

Thats crazy how just a one sided pixel trip gets that bright, Im curious and im sure you’ve tried all options, would those KR pixel sticks work too? They seem thin for double sided, wondering how much brighter they would make the blade?
No they wouldn’t. It requires the use of one strip.

Believe it or not I started experimenting with this stuff starting in 2017, took me 2 years before I had a prototype and in that time I found that the two strips just didn’t work that well. Although I’ll admit that the original intention behind using 1 strip was to make a Darksaber from clone wars or rebels that was “accurate” and that means being extremely restricted on battery if you wanted to make it as thin as it appears in the shows. So that means using things like cell phone batteries that just don’t have the amps to run a full blade. So that was the motivation.

By happenstance one strip worked better that 2 in many other respects as well. 2 strips created hot spots and shadows and it was easier to diffuse if they weren’t facing directly outwards.

Also the blades were flexy and if you were to flex the strips as they were facing out then they would break. They needed to be flat inside so they could safely flex with the blade.

Taking one strip out gave me more internal space for the light to bounce and scatter resulting in a rather bright and more full/uniform lighting.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t proud of them. And the way are they are received is what started my business. I do them full time now. All shapes and sizes. Currently working on a Mastersword run for Jawas Junkyard.

Believe it or not I started experimenting with this stuff starting in 2017, took me 2 years before I had a prototype and in that time I found that the two strips just didn’t work that well. Although I’ll admit that the original intention behind using 1 strip was to make a Darksaber from clone wars or rebels that was “accurate” and that means being extremely restricted on battery if you wanted to make it as thin as it appears in the shows. So that means using things like cell phone batteries that just don’t have the amps to run a full blade. So that was the motivation.

By happenstance one strip worked better that 2 in many other respects as well. 2 strips created hot spots and shadows and it was easier to diffuse if they weren’t facing directly outwards.

Also the blades were flexy and if you were to flex the strips as they were facing out then they would break. They needed to be flat inside so they could safely flex with the blade.

Taking one strip out gave me more internal space for the light to bounce and scatter resulting in a rather bright and more full/uniform lighting.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t proud of them. And the way are they are received is what started my business. I do them full time now. All shapes and sizes. Currently working on a Mastersword run for Jawas Junkyard.
Thanks for the insight on how it works! Amazing work! Thanks for all you do!

Those Master Sword blades look nuts!

Alrighty folks, happy with how the darkening / weathering process turned out.

Here's a comparison photo of before and after.
IMG_7390.jpg

I share my thoughts in the video below and take you through the process I used to accomplish this.
But in short it consists of the following:
  • 3:1 dilution of water:aluminum black and followed the basic process I've used for my beskar brick, E11, DL44 and now this......
  • gently heat with a heat gun (or hair dryer)
  • apply AB
  • neutralize with water
  • dry
  • repeat as needed to obtain desired darkness
  • initial polish with microfiber towel
  • final polish with ultra fine gray Scotchbrite pad
  • no clear for now but I can always add if needed in the future (FWIW, I haven't cleared my DL44, E11, or beskar bricks and the've held up fine as display pieces. More substantial handling may require clear)

That said, I think the service that Justin is offering is a fantastic deal. I spent way more time than the cost of the service. That said, in hindsight I wouldn't have changed anything since my enjoyment in this hobby is in part the build process (if you've seen my other videos you'll know). Plus I had all the materials on hand. If I didn't then I would have gone with the weathered hilt.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back