Star Wars Obi-Wan Kenobi (tv series)

Again, herein lies the problem.

They can mess it up as easily as they could nail it.

Just naming the character and already each of us has an idea in our minds about what the story should/ could be. Ben Kenobi. He's so iconic that just suggesting the idea of a movie or series based on him conjures up all kinds of ideas. Do that for any character. Darth Vader. Luke Skywalker.
It doesn't even matter how big or small a role they had either. Their is a fan base for even the most obscure characters.

We wouldn't have this issue if it was a totally new character. Which is why using events and people we already know proves how creatively limited the series really is if they have to constantly rely on everything that is already known.

Would it be cool to see Ewan portray an older Ben Kenobi? Sure! Though I seriously doubt that they will do the character justice with the script and it will likely pisses me off.

My advice is to just leave well enough alone. Venture out to another part of the galaxy and if Star Wars is truly as limitless as people claim it to be then it will stand on it's own when they try new things and reinvent it by going elsewhere.

All that being said, here's what I would like to see.

A small scale adventure/ personal journey. The tone would be more like a Western where Ben learns how to adapt to desert life after living his entire life on Corouscant. Living off what little is there in the wasteland. Fending off Tusken Raiders. Krayt Dragons. Bartering with locals. He gets reluctantly pulled into a conflict on Tatooinne, all the while trying his best to keep a close watch over Luke. We could also see him trying to live out the ideals of his Jedi teachings and forsaking his own desires to try and live simply. All the while coming to grips with his own failure with Anakin, dedicating himself to protect Luke and one day teach him the ways of the Force. We could even see him training to become one with the Force.

I've always said that if they were making anthology movies they should just pick a genre and make a movie using that tone. So for this movie the tone would be a Western.

For a Jabba the Hutt or Boba Fett movie the tone would be a Mobster movie.

For a Qui-Gon Jinn movie it would be a Samurai movie.

Use the genre and the tropes of those genres but just set them in a galaxy far, far away and they could do all kinds of cool things with it. Mimic shots to replicate certain scenes from those genres as a way to pay homage to not only the genre but to film itself and don't use modern movies to do it either because then it's too easily recognizable. Sadly I think they are just too short sighted to understand that this is what is missing from their movies. Too often these film makers don't even have much of a cinematic language enough to think like that.

Just rehashing shots from the original trilogy in a new Star Wars movie isn't an homage either because Star Wars is not a genre. Space Opera is a genre. That's why Lucas used Flash Gordon, Westerns, Robin Hood, and WWII movies and mashed them all together by mimicking shots from those kinds of movies to evoke a sense of familiarity.

Example:

In LOTR there is a shot where the Nazgul ride out on horseback from Minas Tirith to find the One Ring. The camera angle is low and the shot looks like it was taken from a Western the way it's framed. It's a cinematic homage to a genre but set in a fantasy world instead of the old west.

While I don't disagree, I don't think they have the balls to do it.

R1 was supposed to be 'a war movie'. The suits saw the war movie and panicked, essentially because, it was a war movie, so they order reshoots to make it more a normal SW movie. I think maybe the streaming service could allow them to do those types of things but we'll see.

Is Disney even running with that anymore though?
They seem to have discarded absolutely everything else to do with Lucas..
Besides, I did imply that they'd reach both Vader and Palpatine.
Maybe Mace splits off and takes on Palpatine while Vader deals with the scrubs.

Looks like it's on hold.
IMG_20200123_163101.jpg

McGregor gave interviews yesterday saying shooting has been delayed but that its still releasing on the same time etc, not a big deal. Surprise, something about Star Wars is being exaggerated and speculated about without knowing jack.

Actually, he said that everything has been put back till next year. thats rather a big deal. Kinda strange that he was making comments on a red carpet only two hours after the story on Collider came out, wonder if he got a call from the Disney spin department before hand? Using McGregor as a source of information is risky anyway after all he is the guy that admitted to lying about reprising the role FOR FOUR YEARS.

... after all he is the guy that admitted to lying about reprising the role FOR FOUR YEARS.

You really have a problem with the fact an actor was required to not talk about a project before the folks making it were willing to talk about it? Especially when it's a project that's part of a series KNOWN for it's secrecy, tight lips, and misdirection on nearly everything before the finished product hits theaters?

You really have a problem with the fact an actor was required to not talk about a project before the folks making it were willing to talk about it? Especially when it's a project that's part of a series KNOWN for it's secrecy, tight lips, and misdirection on nearly everything before the finished product hits theaters?
Did I say I have a problem with it? I'm simply pointing out that once someone admits they lied for years about a particular situation they are not a reliable source of information on that situation. Personally, I dont distinguish between lying and lying being ok because it protects Disney or whatever.

You're out of your mind.

Star Wars being secretive has nothing to do with Disney. It goes all the way back to Lucas keeping designs close to the vest to avoid people ripping them off.

They've been using fake lines on set since at least Empire. Had code-named production titles since at least Return of the Jedi; meaning EVERY person working that shoot had to keep quiet about working on the project, are they untrustworthy people now?

Other movies regularly hide cast members being involved with a film to help maintain secrecy about plot points, spoilers, or tie ins. And that's even after the movie is announced.

Video game developers try to get half way through making their games before they even announce they're working on them.

And EVERY business on the planet chooses when and how it releases information about products it's developing (and a lot of development leads nowhere, and they NEVER announce they were working on something at all). That's no different from Disney, or ANY other production company not announcing that they're looking in to making a certain movie or TV show until they're in a position to make the most of it. It's standard practice.

Professional prop makers on THIS forum are legally bound to not talk about tons of projects they're working on, because it would give away information about movies and shows in development that aren't ready to be announced. Are they all terrible liars in your book?

Get your head straight man. I get that that you hate Disney, but damn.

You're out of your mind.

Star Wars being secretive has nothing to do with Disney. It goes all the way back to Lucas keeping designs close to the vest to avoid people ripping them off.

They've been using fake lines on set since at least Empire. Had code-named production titles since at least Return of the Jedi; meaning EVERY person working that shoot had to keep quiet about working on the project, are they untrustworthy people now?

Other movies regularly hide cast members being involved with a film to help maintain secrecy about plot points, spoilers, or tie ins. And that's even after the movie is announced.

Video game developers try to get half way through making their games before they even announce they're working on them.

And EVERY business on the planet chooses when and how it releases information about products it's developing (and a lot of development leads nowhere, and they NEVER announce they were working on something at all). That's no different from Disney, or ANY other production company not announcing that they're looking in to making a certain movie or TV show until they're in a position to make the most of it. It's standard practice.

Professional prop makers on THIS forum are legally bound to not talk about tons of projects they're working on, because it would give away information about movies and shows in development that aren't ready to be announced. Are they all terrible liars in your book?

Get your head straight man. I get that that you hate Disney, but damn.

Get over yourself pal. What are you even talking about? What is that mask you have on soaked in?

I replied to a post that stated McGregor said that shooting had been delayed and would release at the same time so it was no big deal, which was wrong as it was delayed for a year so it cant be on the same time frame. Then I said that McGregor isnt a very reliable source of information anyway. You have gone and totally misinterpreted everything and have twisted it into some moralistic situation and have fooled yourself into thinking you have some high moral ground by pointing out that lying in Hollywood is par for the course. Like, yeah but...What?

This project is basically the only one that people have wanted and been waiting for and as a PT fan, I've been wanting to see more of McGregor playing that part again but due to another case of incompetence from Kathleen Kennedy, that may not even happen now.

This video explains nicely how much confusion there is and how McGregors own words only increase that confusion. Get it straight.

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back