RPG-style Rogue Concept Build WIP (Pic heavy)

SMP Designs

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Having been working on a lot of comic book and tactical-style costumes lately (as much as I love those) I wanted to go in a different direction for my new concept piece.

I’ve always been a fan of RPGs, fantasy and games like World of Warcraft, Elder Scrolls, Dragon Age and similar. So, I decided to create a new rogue costume. This costume design will also become a new pattern set on my Etsy shop.

As usual, I gathered some images to use for inspiration.

Concept_upper+body.jpg

Accessories+ideas.jpg

Concept_lower+body+accessories+and+tunic.jpg

432b3cb0e95f0cd0d3e69d80efdd3fce.jpg

With some inspiration gathered and some ideas rolling around in my head, I decided to get started and see where things went. I started by working up a hooded harness that will, eventually form a base for partial armor and a cloak.

I used a vest/harness pattern that I originally created for Dr Doom with some slight modifications. I cut the back and shoulder pieces out of headliner foam and used Super77 to mount it to the back of a distressed green chenille.

These pieces were assembled and then the edges finished with a dark brown faux leather. Next, I created some wings for over the shoulders. These were also cut out of headliner and covered in chenille. Then I cut stripes out of 2mm craft foam and covered them with a medium brown faux leather. These stripes were also edged in the dark brown leather.

rogue-hood-1.jpg

rogue-hood-2.jpg

The edges of the wings were finished and they were added to the harness. Next, the hood was created out of the green chenille, lined in a bronze gauze, edged with dark brown faux leather and attached to the harness. Details for the front of the harness were cut out of 2mm foam and covered with faux leather.

Once all of these pieces were assembled, the sings and front panels were detailed with bronze screw-back studs.

rogue-hood-4.jpg

rogue-hood-5.jpg

rogue-hood-3.jpg

The next layer for the costume I wanted to create was a short leather ‘armor’ vest. For this piece, I modified another vest pattern I recently created and drew out the new patter. This was also cut from headliner foam and covered with the same medium faux leather that was used on the hood/harness.

I also knew I wanted to stitch ribbing into the vest pieces, so I started thinking about the direction of the stitching and sketched some lines on the back of the foam (though, I ended up going a different way on many of the pieces). The pieces were all ribbed separately and then assembled. The bad on the front was also reinforced with 2mm craft foam to support the grommets that would be added.

rogue-vest-1.jpg

rogue-vest-2.jpg

rogue-vest-3.jpg

I then created a collar for the vest, finished all the edges and added the grommets. Here’s the vest by itself and with the hooded harness.

rogue-vest-4.jpg

rogue-vest-5.jpg

rogue-vest-6.jpg

rogue-vest-7.jpg

Coming up, the gambeson/jerkin and armor gets underway. Stay tuned!

This looks fantastic! It makes me want to take one of my D&D characters and build their costume now :D

I can't wait to see the finished build of this.

Realized I've not been keeping up this thread and have made loads of progress since the last post. So, here we go:

With these upper body pieces together, I began to think about what I wanted to do with the rest of the torso. I wanted to create a sort of gambeson, but I wanted it to be lighter, not so bulky and a little more ornate - sort of hybrid between a gambeson and a jerkin.

I started with the sleeves. I’d known from the start that I wanted bicep-length sleeves for the upper body, the shirt to show through at the elbow and the gauntlets to be elbow-length. With that in mind, I drafted a simple sleeve pattern that was modified to be tied onto the body of the rest of the garment, not sewn-in.

I then mapped out a ‘woven’ style for the fabrics (inspired by the MCU Loki) and set about to putting the sleeves together using a headliner base (I wanted that lightly padded, quilted feel of a gambeson, but not bulky), a nice woven fabric in a diamond pattern (remnants from some cushions I made for my flat) and green chenille and brown brushed cotton.

gambeson-1.jpg

gambeson-2.jpg

gambeson-3.jpg

The top and bottom edges of the sleeves were then bound with faux leather. I tested them with the rest of the completed pieces and then began the pattern for the rest of the gambeson/jerkin.

I used a base patter - a ‘sloper’ - to create the body of the garment and adjusted the armholes to match the sleeves and the neckline to work with the vests that I’d already made. The ‘skirt’ part was drafted to fit the waist with a slight flare.

gambeson-4.jpg

gambeson-5.jpg

gambeson-6.jpg

I knew that I wanted to pull in that woven detail from the sleeve and decided to do it on the back. I created an insert in the back below the waist that created an upside-down version of the sleeves.

gambeson-7.jpg

gambeson-8.jpg

gambeson-9.jpg

The rest of the body was then built with some diamond and brown accent at the front edges and tested with the sleeves.

After consideration, I decided that I didn’t care for the straight hemline of the piece and decided to pull a page from the Assassin’s Creed playbook and curve the hem over the hips and create separate leg extensions. So the extra hem was cut away and the hem was refinished.

gambeson-10.jpg

gambeson-14.jpg

The extensions for the legs were modified from patterns from an Edward Kenway project.

I decided to use a bronze colored faux leather that is embossed with a woven texture as the base for these pieces, edge each tab with green and brown and stud them with the same findings that were used on the hooded vest.

tabs-1.jpg

tabs-2.jpg

tabs-3.jpg

tabs-4.jpg

The next step for the torso was to set in the grommets and tie the sleeves onto the jacket.

I’m using a fabric cord for all of the lacing that’s then tipped with bronze findings. The sleeve ties are tipped with bolo tie ends in antique bronze.
These tips are actually too big to fit through the grommets, so the sleeves were permanently tied on and the tips attached after. The functional laces are finished with smaller, more streamlined tips.

gambeson-16.jpg

gambeson-17.jpg

Next, I moved on to collecting details for the accessories and straps. I found an amazing Etsy shop that creates period hardware and ordered several hand-made buckles - one of which can be seen on the strap for the hooded vest.

I also turned to my long-time collaborator Jordan’s Ironic Armory to create a Celtic dragon motif.

viking-access-1.jpg

viking-access-2.jpg

I wanted to create some partial armor for this project as well, so I began drafting and mocking up patterns for a foam pauldron.

pauldron-1.jpg

pauldron-2.jpg

While deciding how to detail the foam armor, I discovered that if I heated thin EVA foam with my heat gun and then pressed the resin print of the dragon motif into it, I could emboss the foam with the pattern.

I decided to create three large discs and two smaller ones for the main pauldron section. I cut them all out and contact cemented them in place. I also created an edge detail and accented it with small studs.

The edges of the piece were rounded with a dremel and then the whole thing was coated with PlastiDip.

pauldron-3.jpg

pauldron-4.jpg

pauldron-5.jpg

While working on the armor pieces, I decided to make the harness base out of a new faux leather that I found and began by backing the leather with headliner and edging the entire piece with the thin dark faux leather. I then created a buckle and strap set to close the harness under the arm and make it somewhat adjustable.

At the same time, I made the strap that goes around the chest to hold the harness and armor onto the body. This is one of the straps that will use the bespoke buckles I ordered from ReliquariaMedieval.

pauldron-6.jpg

pauldron-7.jpg

pauldron-8.jpg

pauldron-9.jpg

Here is the finished harness base with the straps attached. I used antique brass heavy duty snaps from Tandy Leather for the ‘rivets’.

pauldron-10.jpg

pauldron-11.jpg

I then finished assembling the bicep part of the foam armor and created a bicep base piece and used a scrap of leftover strapping to test the fit of the entire shoulder together.

pauldron-12.jpg

pauldron-13.jpg

Next up will be finalizing the shoulder armor and creating some of the accessories and embellishments for the costume.

Stay tuned!

After test fitting the pauldron to see how it wore and moved, I decided that the foam armor was just too bulky and restrictive. I like the armor in and of itself, but it’s just not right for this character. I decided to go in a different direction and create a more “dragon” style segmented pauldron.

I began by working up some base templates in poster board and linking them together with paper fasterners. Once I had the base templates the way I wanted, I cut each piece out of headliner foam, covered them in the same ‘woven’ embossed faux leather that was used in the belt and skirt. Those pieces were also covered on the undersides with brushed cotton and edged in a copper thin faux leather.

The straps for the bicep pad were then measured and attached.

pauldron-14.jpg

pauldron-15.jpg

pauldron-16.jpg

The pieces were all test fitted to the rest of the costume. Next, they will be embellished with casts of the dragon motif that was 3d printed.

pauldron-17.jpg

pauldron-18.jpg

pauldron-19.jpg

Coming up - the pauldron is completed and the belt and pants get underway. Stay tuned!

Finally getting back to finishing up this thread. Whew, it's been a while!

After taking a break from this build to work on other projects, I decided that I was still not happy with the pauldron and decided to revise it. It still just seemed off and I decided to try a version with all flat segments rather than one that is meant to curve over the top of the shoulder.

I created a new pattern in paper and sketched out some details for raised areas on each segment. I then traced 2 copies of each segment onto 2mm eva foam. One of these layers forms the base and the other is used to create the raised “tiles”. After cutting the tiles out of the second copy, I used it to trace placement lines on the base and then glued the tiles down using Super77.

pauldron-34.jpg

pauldron-20.jpg

pauldron-21.jpg

Next, I backed the segments with headliner foam to give them some more stability and structure. Each segment was then spray mounted to the back of brown faux leather and cut out. Each of the tiles was stitched down using a cording foot to lock all the layers together and reserve the detail lines.

pauldron-22.jpg

pauldron-24.jpg

gauntlet-11.jpg

After all of the pieces were stitched and edged with thin faux leather, I used the same heavy duty snaps with the bronze finish to create the “rivets” that attach the segments together. I also added a strip of 2 inch wide elastic to the inside. The top of each segment was attached to the elastic strip to stabilize all the pieces and ensure that they stayed in the position when the arm is relaxed. A small tab at the very top has a snap that attaches to the vest. Then it was time to decorate all the raised tiles with bronze studs.

pauldron-26.jpg

pauldron-27.jpg

pauldron-28.jpg

I’m using the same base vest/strap and bicep piece that I made for the other versions. The pauldron attached with 3 snaps on the vest and 2 on the bicep. Here are some images of the finished pauldron.

pauldron-29.jpg

pauldron-30.jpg

pauldron-31.jpg

And with the rest of the costume so far.
pauldron-32.jpg

pauldron-33.jpg

At this point in the development of the accessories, I decided to make a mold of the 3d printed dragon motif so that I could cast copies to use on the rest of the pieces. I created a mold using Oomoo 25 and ran a few resin pieces with Amazing Casting Resin. To create the curves, I carefully pull the casting from the mold before it’s completely cured and then form it over something with the right curve, such as part of a mannequin, a bowl, or a can.

I then began painting them by spraying them with a base coat of bronze, airbrushing some black to create some initial depth, and then hand-painting the raised gold details and some additional weathering.

viking-access-3.jpg

viking-access-4.jpg

viking-access-7.jpg

I knew I wanted to use one of the large ones as the “buckle” for the belt, and two small ones as accents. I decided to use heavy duty snaps to attach them, so they could be easily replaced if broken. I attached the snaps to small pieces of faux leather and glued them to the backs of the resin pieces.

I then made a 3” wide belt out of faux leather and attached the other sides of the snaps to that. I wanted a layered belt for the suit as I plan to attach more accessories to it, so I created a wider under-belt out of the same bronze embossed faux leather that I used on the “skirt” tabs. To ensure that the belts were secure and wouldn’t shift during wear, I used the bronze heavy-duty snaps as “rivets” to attach them in four places.

viking-access-8.jpg

belt-1.jpg

belt-2.jpg

viking-access-9.jpg

With the belt assembled, I started working on ideas for the gauntlets. I used s few of the templates that I created for Prince Dastan as a base, made some new paper patterns, and sketched out some details.

Then, using the same method as the new pauldron, I created the gauntlet by layering 2mm craft foam on top of headliner foam. That was then covered in faux leather, the edges finished with binding and straps with bronze snaps added for closures. I thought about using laces for the gauntlet but realized there would be no way for me to tie them and I wanted to make this costume so that I could get in and out of it on my own.

gauntlet-1.jpg

gauntlet-2.jpg

gauntlet-3.jpg

gauntlet-4.jpg

I then set about decorating the main gauntlet. The top and bottom bands have the hexagonal studs that I used on the vest and “skirt” tabs and all of the “panels” have the studs that I used on the pauldron.

I made the hand plate the same way, decorated it with studs, and attached the thumb strap that goes around the hand. I used 2” wide elastic to attach the hand plate (as it won’t be seen) to give it extra flexibility.

Finally, one of the small resin dragons was glued into the recessed circle at the top.

gauntlet-5.jpg

gauntlet-6.jpg

gauntlet-7.jpg

gauntlet-8.jpg

And here is the costume so far.

rogue-1.jpg

viking-access-10.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back