Suggestion RPF Wiki - Is it needed?

Hahaha... haven't forgotten about this. We are trying to hammer out a couple other things, and definitely won't roll this out until after the forum upgrade (we are getting quotes for the last few things needed for that behemoth project now) but as soon as the forum upgrade is complete and everyone has put there torches and pitchforks away from the fiasco that is sure to ensue, we will begin adding the wiki in.

RPF Wikia news?

Hey everyone, i seem to recall some talk about 2 months ago about opening a RPF Wikia? I was just wondering if there was any news?

Another one of those ideas I've had (for a prop info resource)

Well, I was looking around the Internet Movie Firearm Database, which helps identify a lot of the prop weaponry from films, TV shows, games and other forms of media, as we all know. And I began to thinking... Could you imagine how great it would be for a Wiki for Props in films? I know, there's a lot of props for a lot movies, TV shows, short films, etc., but I think it would a great resource for us. It would also be awesome to try to find a prop you've seen in a film, find out what it really is. Also, having each prop listed with information on if its a found prop or a scratch-built prop (and if scratchbuilt what kinds of parts).

For example, you remember the post not too long ago about the Joker's Ferry Boat Detonator controls from The Dark Knight and how the parts of the prop were identified? Could you imagine what if there was someone wanting to make a replica of that? And with a Wiki like the one that I've had the idea about, it'd help users know what parts were used to make it and allow replica builders like us to recreate it.

I know, the RPF is a resource of users who can help identify potential stuff and ID props and actual items used to make them, but I'm sure there are a few of us that had to deal with a repetition of identifying the same prop over again and then refer the user looking for it over to the original post (or posts) about the prop. So, the Wiki could basically be an archive of identified props and how they were constructed, repurposed or used.

Of course, this is just an idea and I'm tossing them out there.

Re: Another one of those ideas I've had (for a prop info resource)

CB, it IS indeed a great idea and one that has been mentioned before. We have built a test wiki, but have yet to go live with it. We still have a few nagging issues we want to take care of since the server move, but part of the purpose of the server move was to supply us with the space and power for the wiki. :)

We sure are! We are very excited about it, but it is going to take a LOT of participation from the membership to make it a success!

We sure are! We are very excited about it, but it is going to take a LOT of participation from the membership to make it a success!

Cool beans. I'm definitely hoping to contribute if however way I can. The big question is this: will it only be for props identified or will there be props that haven't been identified with the potential to be identified?

Our biggest struggle is the structure and how to lay it all out. What we are working on is a "per movie" type layout (somewhat like yourprops) and it will be up to the members to decide what goes in each movie.

That's cool. Honestly, I thought about what a layout would be. I figured that there'd be sections where it identifies each item category (kinda like the IMFDb identifies weapons by not just the forum of media, but by what model and what type of weapon they are), like let's say you want to identify the cellphone from the movie Cellular, you'd find it under Electronics>Communications>Cellphones (as well as under Movies>C>Cellular).

Thought I'd throw this out there for digestion. What would happen if we had a section for Lost In Space Robby robots, the parts? Clearly we have a right to discuss the parts used and techniques, but we all know how the license holder feels about even the very mention of the name. I fully expect a poorly written, comical C&D just for this post. ;) :lol

In short, how would we deal with those kind of issues? I don't want to see all the resources of the board diverted to any kind of lawsuit.

Any legal issues would be turned over to our legal team to handle on a case by case basis. Instead trying to play armchair lawyer (as so many here like to do) we just hand it off to the professionals and usually just go with what our legal team advises.

I just went through this Wiki structure and planning exercise at work. My page design layouts go live to my entire business unit on Monday. We use Enterprise Confluence Wiki by Atlassian internally. Everything from page layouts, macros, and server scaling.

Hope everyone is up on their wiki markup...

This is a great idea. The discussion tab found on most wiki pages can be used to discuss possible items for a found part or to discuss build techniques and prop history. I don't think it will replace the RPF just augment it and organize it more. It is a pain in the butt to find old info.

Back at C4 I ran into Chris Trevas/Lonepegion and asked him about updates on his Parts of Star Wars Page. I asked if they ever looked into making it a wiki. He said that they did. I kinda got the impression that it takes time to do it right. It would be a dream come true when it does.

I acutally used the movie firearm database when asking about the Dark Knight grapple launchers. It turned out it help discover a Fifth Element prop in the process. It was a perfect example of a wiki in action.

I kinda got the impression that it takes time to do it right.

Your absolutely correct. If you open your wiki to the wild. It can get out of control real quick. Using page templates is a must to keep everything consistent. Plus depending on what macros you allow can determine how things are displayed.

Whatever happend to this?
I see the "wiki contribution= 0" on my profile and I want to change it...

"I'm smart! Not like everybody says... like dumb... I'm smart and I want respect!" :lol

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back