RPF New Look Feedback Thread

'Marketplace' is the general term you will find where third parties are buying and selling from one another. (clip) We knew this wouldn't be a popular change (although I am a bit surprised by just how many are not liking it) but we feel it is moving the site in the right direction.

It's psychologically counter-productive too BTW.

I feel better telling the Mrs. "from the Junkyard honey", rather than "from the marketplace".

It sounds $$$ cheaper, and elicits less questions.

And if she's looking over my shoulder, I prefer the forum to be titled the Junkyard ... she just looks away :lol

Hell, even I like it! :cheers

Sorry guys. If we have made Rylo happy with something... all other discussion or comments have become null and moot. :lol

... and I didn't think this day could get better.

attachment.php

Sorry to say I'm underwhelmed. It really comes off as bland and uninspired. I might agree some changes where needed, but... in all honesty, I can't believe money was spent on this look.

I'm glad to see there are a few people that also feel similarly - even if it is a minority. As stated above - it does come off as a little too trendy or Apple-ish - the new logo especially, it's cold and doesn't appear to reflect anything with the community at all. The icons are nice, but seem genuinely out of place in lieu of a banner on top - they might be better served a bit smaller under more of a banner (ie, perhaps use the RPF logo a tad bigger on the left, the words REPLICA PROP FORUM along the center next to the logo and these icons underneath the wording). ...and well the sizing issue has been documented for those of us with widescreen monitors. I do like the new background... some updated emoticons would be nice.

Hopefully, when the full move is made to 4.0 some decision might be made to save the Star Wars theme. To me, that is the RPF theme and if cash is needed to convert that to 4.0 I'd happily buy an item to help fund that.

Can you add a legacy style RPF Standard? I don't like the narrowness of the new design and although I like the Star Wars 'Legacy' style, I get a lot of glare with the black background.

The old light and work-safe styles with variable width backgrounds (along with the Replica Property style) are gone for good. :unsure

When you say you don't "buy it" what do you mean? Do you think there is another reason we are going with fixed width aside from it being the prevailing trend and because it is easy to design for fixed width? I can assure you it isn't benefiting me. I run 1920X1080, so like many of you with large resolutions, I have a lot of border on the sides. I guess I am used to it because most of the progressive sites I visit are the same way.

I just mean that up until today, the RPF worked just fine across multiple resolutions. It still does on small screens like the Ipad, etc. I guess I just don't go to many "progressive" sites that leave bars of space.

We have a very small run of test shirts being made right now and will have a couple of test shirts at the prop party but we won't have any for sale. As soon as we get back, we will be putting up a sale thread for the shirts.
Yay! :):thumbsup

When they're available, I'll definitely pick one up! Whenever I spend as much time on a forum as I do on this one, I like picking up a forum T-shirt or 2 to show my love for the forum & to help support the site. :)

Will be anxiously awaiting that thread. When do you expect that to be again? :confused

Huh. Someone rearranged the furniture and put up new curtains while I wasn't looking. :lol

Aside from sharing the popular "fixed-width is so 2001" sentiment, and the fact that it'll always be The Junkyard no matter what label you slap on it, I kind of dig the changes. Looking forward to seeing the full theme revamp when the vB upgrade happens. :)

I preferred the old RPF Standard style. Its the only one I used!

Im using the work safe style now and there are no separations between thread titles like in the other styles, its very annoying.
The fixed width thing has to be changed, there are a lot of big photos on the forum and its getting really funky looking i.e. big gap on the left and part of the photo hidden on the right. (not centered)

At first I didn't mind the JY rename, but I miss it.

I agree 100% with moving away from Star Wars, but "The Junkyard" never said "Star wars" to me.

-Charles

Not sure if the fixed width issue is even up for debate and playing the devils advocate here. None of those sites listed above are forums.

Many posts of substance, are long big paragraphs that dont conform or match up to content like any of the sites listed above.

With the fixed width, those long posts, pictures, signatures etc and now even shorter posts become "jammed" up, very busy.. almost claustrophobic feeling that makes it harder to read. I mean its not terrible by any stretch, but was better when the user could adjust it to his or her liking.

Would you rather read a paperback book that fits in your back pocket or a nice hardcover full size book?

I agree with the three main points: fixed width is a cramping pain (fixed for the time being in Firefox, using the script from the other thread); Junkyard was a better name for a bunch of reasons; and least important, the new logo is uninspired and says nothing about the site.

Not sure if the fixed width issue is even up for debate and playing the devils advocate here. None of those sites listed above are forums.

Mos Eisley Police Department

The Movie Prop Forum

Video Games, Cheats, Walkthroughs, Game Trailers, Reviews, News, Previews & Videos at IGN

IGN is one of the largest on the net.

Now, don't get me wrong, you can find plenty of variable width forums as well. Those are just three that immediately come to mind that are fixed.

Many posts of substance, are long big paragraphs that dont conform or match up to content like any of the sites listed above.

With the fixed width, those long posts, pictures, signatures etc and now even shorter posts become "jammed" up, very busy.. almost claustrophobic feeling that makes it harder to read. I mean its not terrible by any stretch, but was better when the user could adjust it to his or her liking.

Would you rather read a paperback book that fits in your back pocket or a nice hardcover full size book?

The large images thing is the greatest concern as they more or less break the style, but we are working on that.

For signature, they shouldn't be effected because of our limitations on size of signature.

For the typed content, I can certainly understand where someone would have a preference for one over the other, but going back to some of the early examples that were posted, when you look at a news site with fixed width, you are essentially looking at single posts... so where we are vs where they are isn't very different.

Here is a rough idea of variable at 1920 vs fixed.

View attachment 46591

I agree with the three main points: fixed width is a cramping pain (fixed for the time being in Firefox, using the script from the other thread); Junkyard was a better name for a bunch of reasons; and least important, the new logo is uninspired and says nothing about the site.
The Star Wars background said things for the site?

The icons at the top tell you what you need to know about the site. I am behind the new logo design. I like it. What I am not digging AT ALL is the fixed width. Frankly, it is horribly cramped. As Mechinyun stated, none of the sites Art has listed are forums. He has shown me some that ARE, but I still feel the same way....cramped. Sadly, it is not likely to change, and the ONLY recourse I have left is the Legacy version, which will ALSO be going away.

One minor thing, really. I am 90% happy with the changes overall.

Mos Eisley Police Department

The Movie Prop Forum

Video Games, Cheats, Walkthroughs, Game Trailers, Reviews, News, Previews & Videos at IGN

IGN is one of the largest on the net.

Now, don't get me wrong, you can find plenty of variable width forums as well. Those are just three that immediately come to mind that are fixed.

The large images thing is the greatest concern as they more or less break the style, but we are working on that.

For signature, they shouldn't be effected because of our limitations on size of signature.

For the typed content, I can certainly understand where someone would have a preference for one over the other, but going back to some of the early examples that were posted, when you look at a news site with fixed width, you are essentially looking at single posts... so where we are vs where they are isn't very different.

Here is a rough idea of variable at 1920 vs fixed.

View attachment 46591
Other than saying that some other sites (most of which are not forums) have fixed width, I still haven't seen a reason why the RPF went to this. Art, can you expand on the reasonings - other than other sites have fixed width? Thanks.

Or maybe I missed it?

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back