ROTS Obi-wan and Anakin lightsaber Project (OWK preview on pg 11)

General question about the original Obi props used in ROTS: I've heard some Obi hilts had a cast and chrome plated control box, but machined emitters and pommels. On the other hand, I've also heard some hilts had a machined emitter but cast and chrome plated control boxes and pommels. If both of these are true statements, do we have any insider knowledge or evidence as to what combination of parts Ewan's belt hanger hilt had?

View attachment 1548112View attachment 1548113
In both of these pictures, the emitter and pommel are aluminum and the control box is plated resin.

What gutting news. If there’s one thing I know though, one day you will find a way! Let’s hope there’s something we can do as a community to help and make this work for you.
Thanks. I am actually relieved that this happened before I started selling the full kit. If I had shipped a bunch of sabers out to all of you, and then the pommels all started going bad, that would have been a real nightmare for me.

He's got me locked up in the shed... and he says he won't let me out until I complete this project. Apparently, failure is not an option.
maxresdefault.jpg

I'm looking forward to this especially the Obi-Wan as I don't have a single version of his from ROTS. I really like that the material will be authentic to the original props. At this point static as close to the original as possible for me is way better than functional lights and sound.

That blows Dan, really awful of the shop to throw up their hands on an issue that can crop up more than 30 days later. As a shop that does both, you'd think theyd be aware of outgassing, oils and stuff of resin but.. *****

Thought I’d drop this here if no one has seen it yet; looks like a new ROTS hero belt hanger went up for auction. The description on the auction lists the materials used in the construction of the hilt which I thought was a pretty neat insight. I’ve included the description from the site below for convenience.

“This hero hilt was made early on in production and therefore incorporates metal components; later in production additional hilts were needed, and they were all plastic-cast components in order to be produced as fast as possible. The metal elements on this lightsaber include the end pommel, the detail greeblies near the control box, the full neck vane assembly including the gold-colored component above the grip, the thin copper-colored section, and the aluminum base below the emitter. The black ridged section above the pommel, the control box section,the ridged black handgrip and the emitter are cast plastic, with some components chrome-plated. Also included is an original belt clip. The lightsaber shows slight wear throughout from production use and age. Dimensions: 11" x 3" x 3" (28 cm x 7.75 cm x 7.75 cm)”

1654044868606.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't have a reference pic for the KR Eco OWK3 (store is closed rn due to Celebration) but it seems that he was able to match the all-brass top face of the wind vane section (originally an "eco" design choice I would assume) before this prop was ever available haha:

obi-hilt.jpeg

Looks like the control box is flipped on this auction hilt as well, the cylindrical groove under the black endcap on the box is on the booster end on the MR LE:

mr-e3-obiwan-le-11.jpeg

I have some bad news on this project. The OWK pommels that I had cast and plated have deteriorated. It looks like the shop did not cure the resin completely before they plated them. As a result, the resin has begun to release some gas and so the chrome is bubbling. I contacted the shop and they told me that it's not their problem since it's over thirty days later. I've been back and forth with them with no help whatsoever. As a result, I'm out multiple thousands of dollars on these parts and will have to reimagine how this project can go forward. If you're disappointed, please understand no one is more disappointed than me on this one.
Are you kidding?? Dude, that's the biggest bunch of bull I've heard in a long time! I don't know how this conversation went, but I'd be blasting the name of the company all over the place if they pulled that. Surely if they have experience casting/plating resin, they'd have some clue as to how to avoid this, and take some responsibility! How is it not their fault, 30 days or otherwise??? It's not like you left them out in the elements. I'm sorry to hear about this. I'll call and yell at them if you want. :lol:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back