ROTJ - Rebel Limpet Mine (Used in Endor Bunker)

detonateur_845x485p-jpg.jpg

View attachment 835848

Just noticed something... Are the photomultiplier louvers inverted in this photo? It seems like we're getting a look through/behind the grates -- this one appears to be covering a (square?) opening in the side of the body.

Also, were the guts of the thing removed for that photo? Or is this third example just missing the insides?

I have been trying to find the base for the mine for many many years now...didn´t know that Guz had two of these.

Is somebody befriended with him and could ask, if there are any markings, that could give us insight about the brand?
Some pictures of the mines back/ underside would be very helpful as well

Just noticed something... Are the photomultiplier louvers inverted in this photo? It seems like we're getting a look through/behind the grates -- this one appears to be covering a (square?) opening in the side of the body.

Also, were the guts of the thing removed for that photo? Or is this third example just missing the insides?
The photomultiplier I opened had both left and right handed louvers, stacked alternately.

Attachments

• IMG_20200309_160437.jpg
    IMG_20200309_160437.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 183
  • IMG_20200309_124249.jpg
    IMG_20200309_124249.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 210
The photomultiplier I opened had both left and right handed louvers, stacked alternately.

Thanks, that makes sense why the direction of the louvers on the prop changed given the same bracket orientation. Is that plate with the round hole a separate piece, and is it removable? The opening behind the louvers in the detonator photo seems larger than that round opening, but it's hard to tell for sure.

I late to this party, but to me the main body looks like an industrial warning strobe light. The top is where it attaches to an electrical conduit, the bottom cone is where the bulb and cover would mount. Pic below is modern, but it gives you an idea. I worked for a Foundry that was a government contractor, the claxon had a warning strobe that reminded me of the bunker buster. We know that EMI studios bought tons of scrap, so this more than likely came off that pile. Also signal corp had fire alarms similar in shape and size

Attachments

• Ast-4-k1-495x400.jpg
    Ast-4-k1-495x400.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 191
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 195
I have been trying to find the base for the mine for many many years now...didn´t know that Guz had two of these.

Is somebody befriended with him and could ask, if there are any markings, that could give us insight about the brand?
Some pictures of the mines back/ underside would be very helpful as well

I tried asking him a couple times over email and got no response. I'm guessing he might be one of those people who have real props and don't share info so that they are the only ones who have them. :rolleyes:

I tried asking him a couple times over email and got no response. I'm guessing he might be one of those people who have real props and don't share info so that they are the only ones who have them. :rolleyes:

I kind of have a different out look at it. If I dropped 170,000 on a prop. I wouldn’t want to give too much out about it after seeing the scum bag moves Christian, kurtz and now our boy joiner are doing.. let’s not forget the newly pawn stars blaster. Which is a absolute joke

If I bought a real ANH graflex, posted everything about it, every dimension, then have custom parts made to help the community obtain a cool replica. who’s to say one of these jerks doesn’t buy those replicas parts and try to pass a graflex off as a relation to the real one, but now even more accurate and easier to fool.

That’s how I always thought of things.. prop collecting isn’t always just about collecting a lot of it is investments too..

The second a photo pops up of that discarded graflex stunt, its value will double if not triple. And if I owned it, it would be priceless to me

But this is just me

Thanks, that makes sense why the direction of the louvers on the prop changed given the same bracket orientation. Is that plate with the round hole a separate piece, and is it removable? The opening behind the louvers in the detonator photo seems larger than that round opening, but it's hard to tell for sure.
That plate is separate, but crimped in place. You might be able to pry it off.
I just noticed something, the little tabs at the top and bottom of the limpet dynode are bent out. I wonder if that happens when the dynodes are curved to fit the prop, or if its a different part.

Attachments

• Limpet Mine_Dynode.png
    Limpet Mine_Dynode.png
    320.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Dynode.png
    Dynode.png
    1 MB · Views: 141
  • Limpet Mine_Dynode02.png
    Limpet Mine_Dynode02.png
    265.4 KB · Views: 147
That plate is separate, but crimped in place. You might be able to pry it off.
I just noticed something, the little tabs at the top and bottom of the limpet dynode are bent out. I wonder if that happens when the dynodes are curved to fit the prop, or if its a different part.

The backing of the dynode with round hole is still present...it is just overlapping a squarish cutout in the mines body.
The third picture in post #91 shows it pretty clear

The original grips are lost. Those are just replicas I taped on to complete the look (fully reversible) of the saber.

Gus
Thanks Gus! Im happy someone in the community has these - especially since thats only the second bubble strip weve seen from the 1977 film. That metal cast too.. freaking amazing, the sabers that came from that mold were used everywhere for the whole trilogy! Im a geek for stunt sabers, ask Halliwax thanks for sharing!

The original grips are lost. Those are just replicas I taped on to complete the look (fully reversible) of the saber.

Gus

Hey Gus, thanks for chiming in on this thread!
Would you be able to tell us how the Limpet Mine looks underneath??
I'm wondering if there's some sort of magnet system there.

I kind of have a different out look at it. If I dropped 170,000 on a prop. I wouldn’t want to give too much out about it after seeing the scum bag moves Christian, kurtz and now our boy joiner are doing.. let’s not forget the newly pawn stars blaster. Which is a absolute joke

If I bought a real ANH graflex, posted everything about it, every dimension, then have custom parts made to help the community obtain a cool replica. who’s to say one of these jerks doesn’t buy those replicas parts and try to pass a graflex off as a relation to the real one, but now even more accurate and easier to fool.

That’s how I always thought of things.. prop collecting isn’t always just about collecting a lot of it is investments too..

I don't look at collectibles as investments, but I agree with much of what you said. I don't mind people taking photos, info, and measurements of actual screen-used props, but what I absolutely do not do is let people cast off originals. In some cases I also hide other info like the insides of helmets which have all sorts of tells the fakers aren't aware of. My main objective here is not to allow people to pass stuff off fakes as original. Even a seasoned replica prop enthusiast who builds an accurate replica with the best intentions may eventually let go of a piece years later to someone else that unwittingly becomes "an original". This has happened many times before. My goal is to make sure I don't enable that while balancing being reasonably open with people wanting to make nice replicas. Also, I'm super busy, so most of the time don't have a lot of time to take photos and measurements for people, but if people happen be over at the house and the piece is accessible, then it's easier. Although I don't open to the general public either. :)

I don't look at collectibles as investments, but I agree with much of what you said. I don't mind people taking photos, info, and measurements of actual screen-used props, but what I absolutely do not do is let people cast off originals. In some cases I also hide other info like the insides of helmets which have all sorts of tells the fakers aren't aware of. My main objective here is not to allow people to pass stuff off fakes as original. Even a seasoned replica prop enthusiast who builds an accurate replica with the best intentions may eventually let go of a piece years later to someone else that unwittingly becomes "an original". This has happened many times before. My goal is to make sure I don't enable that while balancing being reasonably open with people wanting to make nice replicas. Also, I'm super busy, so most of the time don't have a lot of time to take photos and measurements for people, but if people happen be over at the house and the piece is accessible, then it's easier. Although I don't open to the general public either. :)
Perfectly reasonable and respectable way of handling it.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back