ROTJ - Rebel Limpet Mine (Used in Endor Bunker)

It's like a rounded padded thing. Almost looks like a sticker. When I get a moment I'll check more closely.

Hi Gus, I recently picked up one of DJ Designs's proton grenade kits which comes with decal stickers for the 4 groups of 9 black dots / dashes seen around the base at essentially north, south, east and west locations but upon looking at some more screencaps from ROTJ (especially some posted by Division 6 earlier in this very thread) it would appear these are actually meant to be angled holes (drilled in alignment with the main body from what I can tell)? Just wondering if you would mind confirming this against your real prop?

I'm thinking it looks like the case but would really appreciate some confirmation before I go drilling holes into my resin cast ;)

This is DJ Designs's completed kit which I think is a great replica but could do with a couple of accuracy upgrades such as the holes and some proper knurled knobs on top like seen on the transcriptor arm Kurtyboy posted a pic of also earlier in this thread:

proton-3.jpg
proton-4.jpg

Edit: Actually the more I look at it after having analysed the prop much more closely the more things I spot that could use an upgrade (bound to happen when we have 4K versions of the movies now (though still no official 4K theatricals) and this is the RPF after all ;) ). It's still a great kit (that I couldn't ever hope to design and produce on my own) that comes with magnets and is able to be installed with electronics but so far the below list are things I've identified that could use an upgrade when chasing a higher degree of screen accuracy (of what you can see in the movie for a few seconds anyway ha ha):
  • Drilled holes in base instead of decals
  • Replace small grey knobs on top with metal knurled knobs
  • Angled base should appear a separate or more defined piece, whether some material could be removed in a lathe or wood turning machine to give it a small shelf and the appearance of being added on to the main body
  • Replace one of the greebles on top with the ROTJ V2 mystery chunk
  • Replace the replica photomultiplier dynode plates with real ones or replicas that are flat and only bend the tabs around the grenade body
Proton Grenade Accuracy Upgrades.png

Attachments

• charge3.jpg
    charge3.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 247
Last edited:
Super high res photos of one of these popped up in a new Profiles listing - linked in both other threads.

Should we request mods to combine threads? It seems odd to have three separate threads going about this, though combining them might throw off the reading order...

Just because some of these parts have been identified by Parts of Star Wars (totally worth following them on IG or FB), here is what they found on this prop. I am building one from a kit by Van Oaks Props, and this image has helped a lot:
jbJ990S.jpg

In another thread, I forget where, they are looking at very similar steering wheel column parts (some of which are orange) that have the housing shape with the top details like these, but nobody has yet found the exact piece.

a bit late to the party, been wanting one of these since 2010 and my research started then. Got to examine the "other" version and so glad to see this get the attention it deserves, sharing photos:

HXJ303Wl.jpg

7cHlCQDl.jpg

On5fUdHl.jpg

Story I got was these were used and attached with tape and shortly fell off after filming since they had trouble getting a method to get it to adhere.

Thank you for sharing! This is weirdly an iconic part of the movie, getting their own shots, but really sort of a background prop story wise.

I’ve always wondered, is there just a plate up inside under the wire clip or is there another cylinder housing inside holding the LEDs, etc.?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back