ROTJ detonator charges

Not sure about the size, but here's some bells from pressure cooker and ricer cooker timers. They all have the disadvantage of having rivets or fasteners right in the middle, though. Pretty much any bell is going to, so I'm not sure it's the right avenue.

Those look really close though!!

Not sure about the size, but here's some bells from pressure cooker and ricer cooker timers. They all have the disadvantage of having rivets or fasteners right in the middle, though. Pretty much any bell is going to, so I'm not sure it's the right avenue.

The problem is that when it comes to egg/kitchen/minute timers, it is difficult to find images of internal components... and even harder to find vintage designs. Then you got to think about all the variants of timers existed 1982 and prior. What if we are looking for something that might have only been sold in the UK or something like that. Even if we saw a rare photo of such a timer, finding an image of the internals might not exist.

I think if it is something like a timer bell, it would have to be constructed with maybe a screw like fastener that might have been mounted/afixed on the underside (but not through). If it were done like that, it would not have a hole on top.

Now I have no idea if anything like that has ever been made in that way. I was looking for any type of proof that might support it but nothing yet. That's the problem I have when helping to look for found items. As long as something might be possible, I have to consider it. Like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle said, "Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." So until it is impossible, I still have to consider it possible or it just nags at me.

Any idea how you'll be offering these, Roy?

Will the body of the detonator be available for download, so we can print our own?

Any idea how you'll be offering these, Roy?
Will the body of the detonator be available for download, so we can print our own?

I am now thinking of offering these as kits with industrial quality resin prints. I might offer the 3D files, but not for free, considering the time I spent in them and probably after I finished the kits. I will include all the greeblies as resin parts as well, except perhaps the photomultiplier parts, because they should be chromed steel and thin. I already have the Michell Transcriptor screws and in production! I will even make proper replicas of the slider knobs.

So the black bit we can see under the 'baffle', would we say this is part of the main body? Looks to be curved at the bottom.

I'm wondering if the colour is throwing us off the scent. An orange herring...

Capture.JPG

So the black bit we can see under the 'baffle', would we say this is part of the main body? Looks to be curved at the bottom.

I'm wondering if the colour is throwing us off the scent. An orange herring...

View attachment 1346405

I don’t think it is the main body you are seeing. I think you are seeing the flip side of the poorly cut circle piece that is attached to the bottom. The piece looks to have an overlap bigger than the main body. So I think we are looking at that overlap of that flat piece. This is of course assuming that the different props were made basically the same way.

81318987-cc3c-4f24-a63e-6b59acbcfd4d-jpeg-jpg.jpg

I agree with Mara Jade's Father. Actually, this bottom is the weirdest part of the whole prop.
This is the way I solved the dilemma in my model:

1599644956072.png

I made it tapered to give space for a flat space with the screws. The bottom disc and screw are confirmed.
I'm not saying the taper is confirmed and I don't even think it's a single part, but this is the best way to solve the dilemma about this weird bottom.

Isn't the circle part at the bottom double sided tape? You can see the tape under the black part in my pic above.

Oh, yes - I'll bet this is it! The size sounds just right as well. I just ordered a few and will post here when they arrive to report on their size and shape relative to the gear...

Nice find!

Dan

Okay, just got my shipment of a couple of these and now we know what it is not:

IMG_6544_small.jpg

IMG_6546_small.jpg

Solid hunk of metal (as expected) but just a bit too large. It was a good possibility, though...

Dan

I am now thinking of offering these as kits with industrial quality resin prints. I might offer the 3D files, but not for free, considering the time I spent in them and probably after I finished the kits. I will include all the greeblies as resin parts as well, except perhaps the photomultiplier parts, because they should be chromed steel and thin. I already have the Michell Transcriptor screws and in production! I will even make proper replicas of the slider knobs.

I'd be very interested in purchasing files for 3D printing this myself if you choose to offer them.

Type an image search for "brisance". You'll see a testing apparatus that could have inspired the prop. But the prop is too fragile to have been the same thing.

Although its not made of aluminum like a brisance the body surface looks like its made out of fiber reinforced or high impact plastic with thermal stability for something like a motor housing. Im not saying its a motor housing but its not std smooth plastic.

orangestuff.png

I hear you on the steering column, the only thing making me shy away from it is the orange under the paint on both versions we see. If they were cast from another piece it would be foolish to cast them in orange resin only to paint them another color. I believe the found parts are orange high impact plastic , maybe fiber filled nylon.

Yes, two good points. The orange colour is something I was pondering as well. And, yes, where were they made ? I had just assumed it was the UK. I actually employ two mechanics in their late 50s who are forever in UK salvage yards. I will show one of them a photo and see what he says unprompted.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back