Rorschach: The Definitive Thread

I should be able to put up some pix next week. Like many people my age, I'm just not tech enough to have the phone/cam, dataplan thing worked out but my adult daughters do and they will humor me this weekend. I think you will not be disappointed with the results. I really tried to get the best of what was available.

Really looking forward to seeing your finished piece, it will definitely be a awesome costume.
On another note I really wish someone could have confirmed the origin of the coat. Out of all the research ive done there was alot of speculation but no anwsers.

I MUST SEE PICS OF YOUR OUTFIT!!! :love lol

Quick question here. Has anyone ordered from this person? (If i missed it on this thread I apologize)

Rorschach Mask

I'm quite fond of the design of the blots and how it fades in and out. I tried searching for reviews with no success. Thinking of ordering one from him if he's good to deal with.

Loving all the Rorschach costumes here :) This thread has been my lifeline for all my "Rorschach costume hints, tips and how tos" My method of mask making is somewhat experimental.

I had a pheory that I decided to put into practice, and so far it's not been a failure *touch wood* lol

I used a combination of an old Lycra Rorschach mask brought off Ebay a few years back, and muslin fabric.

My first step was to solve the probem I had of making a face mask out of materia that doesnt stretch. That is where my old mask came in handy.

First I cut the "face" off, then stitched a layer of musin over the "face hole" and then a 2nd layer of muslin over that. Same with the top of the mask

Next I added a third larger peice of muslin to cover up the stitches I made added the previous two.

The first to layers are plain, but the third layer has a basic ink blot around the eye and nose area.

A fourth and final layer is then added, this layer is "the face". The ink blot pattern of the third layer shows through and I think it adds a nices touch.

All that's left to do is stitch it round the neck and jaw and tidy it up a bit.

I think it's worth what you are paying for it. If I went out and bought everything needed to make one myself. That and the fact you wouldn't nail it the first time out. It would cost you about the same I'm guessing. Factor in all the time and I think it's worth it. I don't think if I made it myself it would be any better when it came to seeing out of it. Because it's a one piece is why you can see some features. I think at night or going to a costume party you wouldn't make them out. I got it to show off the hat better.

I'm still very interested in the mask that moves.

I would rather pay the extra and get the right material, and have a mask that looks right. Than wear a spandex mask that makes me look like a mexican wrestler in a trench coat. I have spent about 20 - 30 pounds on different materials with varying degrees of stretchability and transparency. There have been lots of failures through trail and error, bit if I only manage to make one mask that looks right, it will be worth every penny.

Not sure if I ever did post pics of my rorschach. Here is a costume I put together a few years ago. Just thought I'd share.

rorschach8hcwm.jpg

rorschach7hcwm.jpg

rorschach6hcwm.jpg

rorschach4hcwm.jpg

rorschach1hcwm.jpg

rorschach11wm.jpg

rorschach10wm.jpg

Has anyone found the definitive Rorschach boots? Does anyone have any links to good suggestions for boots. I have found a couple dark brown high-top Chelsea boots but haven't seen anything perfect. I would love one high quality version and a cheaper version. I really appreciate the help because I just can't find the perfect pair and I have checked this thread and I haven't seen anything on here either. It's been driving me mad.

Hey folks, just wanted to call to attention some finds. Let me know if these look good or not to you.

Cole haan gloves, enter code 25SALE and get 25% off. These gloves seem accurate except the color which you can polish darker

Deerskin Gloves - Men's Accessories: Colehaan.com

Looking for a ribbed metal flashlight, but don't want to bid on ray-o-vac sportsmans on ebay?

Men's LED Flashlight : Target

Chelsea boots anyone? They are a little dark, but I understand you can leave them out to sunlight and they will lighten. Yes, a bit pricey, I know, but they are nice.

Amazon.com: Blundstone 62 Pull-On Boot: Shoes

Let me know if you like or dislike. ;)

Attached is my Rorschach costume.

- Texas Hatters Hat
- Mask made by me out of muslin type material
- Scarf made by me
- Marine overcoat, started off as tan. I had a tailor shorten it and use the cut off material to make the belt longer. I tried countless times to get the proper color through dyeing all sorts of shades and processes on an extra jacket. None of them were successful. I finally found a solution by using brown spray paint. I also applied wax over the painted jacket to attempt to get the waxy look from the movie.
- Indy Magnoli gloves
- The pants started out as woolen blue. I dyed the color out then dyed the pants purple.
- Chelsea boots

Last edited:
I want to thank everyone who contributed to this thread as I've been wanting to make a Rorschach costume for years. Finally (with your guy's help) I managed to get a serviceable costume. This is my first attempt at making a costume and my brother and this thread was a great source of encouragement.

The coat was a Goodwill find for $12.00. My brother and I initially dyed it but it only darkened it slightly. So we used brown furniture spray and I was very pleased with the results but my brother insisted we wax the coat as well so we melted the wax and brushed it onto the coat then ran an iron over it. It gave the coat a worn look and left lines wherever there were wrinkles further adding to the worn look. I am most proud of the jacket and will be keeping it.

The coat after being dyed
Rorschach 6.jpg

The coat after being painted
Rorschach 4.jpg

The coat after waxing
Rorschach 5.jpg

The shoes are Dr. Scholls and were $39.00 at Burlington Coat Factory. I'll most likely be keeping these as well.
Rorschach 3.jpg

The hat was a Goodwill find for $4.00. It's pretty close but I will be upgrading this eventually.
Rorschach 2.jpg

For pants I had a pair of wool grey pinstripe slacks dyed purple but my mother in law washed them and dried them so now they're basically Daisy Dukes. I went out looking for another pair but settled on a pair of brown slacks with purple pinstripes. The pinstripes give the effect of making the brown look a but purplish so they'll do for now but eventually will be upgraded also.

The mask is temporary as well as I want something with more texture like in the movie so I used a pair of black tights and then two white tights over that using acrylic paint to make the pattern. The next mask will hopefully be more movie correct and using that heat sensitive paint.

The gloves and scarf came from Target and I'm actually not too displeased with them. If something better turns up I'll go for it. If not I'll live.

Here's the complete costume as it stands now.

Even Rorschach takes selfies.
Rorschach.jpg

I hope someone finds this info useful and if there's any questions please feel free to ask. Thanks again.

You did a fantastic job on that coat! $12?! Amazing!

Thank you. That means a lot coming from you. I wish I could pick up your Rorschach collection items but my employer of ten years went out of business two weeks ago so the wallet is a little light these days. And my demanding children still insist on being fed. Little ingrates.

Here is a final pic that's a little less facebook selfie looking. Still can't see the pinstripes but I swear they're there.

Rorschach final.jpg

Not that she'll see this but I forgot to thank my former co-worker (but forever friend) Olivia. She fixed a hole in the coat and trimmed it to the proper above the knee length.

Last edited:
Well looks like I will finally need to use my RPF account since I'm working on a Rorschach costume myself. Greetings everyone!

So I am currently getting started on my own Rorschach costume. Currently I have only the mask which I bought on eBay, it actually changes based on temperature which is a plus. The scarf will be something I will get next.

I want to say thank you to everyone for this very informative thread. I'll make posts on here from time to time with updates if I can remember.

That is all.

My Costume. Texas Hatters hat, mask I made from Muslin, coat I dyed and painted and waxed and altered. Pants I bleached and dyed. Magnoli gloves.

IMG_6238.JPGIMG_6237.JPG

I sold this costume a couple years ago and am now working on a replacement.

I just started updating mine was able to snag a magnoli coat in small for a steal, went ahead and bought a new scarf too. mask is the only hurdle, I was toying with the idea designing a mask on photoshop just not sure how much detail id be able to achieve as I would like to have that canvas texture they had on movie. mask is always the hardest part for me .

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back