Rorschach: The Definitive Thread

Hi folks. Just assembled my own rorschach costume. Been at it a month or so. It's not perfect i know, i will be modifying it further, but just posting to get some feedback on my progress :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16327744@N03/

The jacket was a light beige when i got it, dyed it brown, then black to darken it more, then i waxed it, which was fun, and the boots were brand new until i took my drill and buffing stone to them. Apart from that everything else is pretty much the way i bought it.

Just thinking about a ribbon for the hat, not sure whether to match it to the trousers, or to the gloves, which would make them tie in well.....

Last edited:
UPDATE: Got the Bender one and it's close but no cigar. Tim made a nice hat that someone might actually wear in public: a wider brim and narrower ribbon. Nice hat-just not the movie replica.

Tim Bender is making my Rorschach now. I will try to post a pic when I get it.

This thread died out on any further details for the suit and the shoes.
Is Magnoli's suit OK?
The soles of the screen caps look very 'built up' and thicker than any chelsea boots available at retail just now.

Oh yeah. That hat is looking good now. And a fraction of the cost of the TH version. Honestly I don't see why anyone would want to spend the xtra $500.00 or so on the TH version unless you just really have to have the brand name. The quality of work is probably the same, if not better from Penman. I say probably because I've never held either product, but I have held a $700.00 Baron hat next to a $250.00 dollar Tim Bender hat, and the Baron weeps in the presence of it.

Just my two bits on how price doesn't always reflect quality. Sometimes just self-importance.

Last edited:
OK, I get that, without a sequel or a 'Director's Ultimate Best Boy/Gaffer's Cut' DVD or Blue Ray release, Rorschach is stale pizza re costuming interest but I think he has some lasting appeal.
I would just be curious if anyone has some poop on two of the unresolved matters in this thread:
1. Is the concensus that the suit was double breasted like the comic/Magnoli one?
2. Did anyone find chelsea boots that were a closer match than any of the posters had when this thread went to sleep?

Despite your experience, and Pappy's, I have plunged for the Texas Hatters in the dress felt, since they did the original movie one. I am sure Penman's is a fine replica also. I will wait a month before nagging them.

Really? Geez. They were kind of unresponsive most of the time. I got an intial email, and sent my order through there, then never got a response. Waited a couple weeks. So, then I put my order in by phone (the woman who answered was very helpful), and asked if payment by PayPal was alright, which it was. They said I would get an invoice in due time. So, I gave it about 2 weeks or so, with no invoice. I sent them an email asking what was up, and got a reply almost instantly about how busy things were there, and that the invoice should be in my inbox, which it was, and that I would get another email when the hat shipped.

So! Then I made my payment, expecting the hat to have been made or close to it by this point, as it had been about a month or so since I initially ordered. Not the case as another few weeks passed with no shipping email. I sent another email asking if it had been shipped and I just hadn't recieved an email, or if there was a problem of somekind. Never did get a response to that email. So, at this point I'm getting a little scared, because it was a bit of money. Well, eventually I did get the tracking email (I think like, a week later), and the hat came in 4 days after that, coming the exact same day as the mask. I still have the emails, and my initial order was March 23rd and the hat was delivered on June 1st, so a little over 2 months.

Sorry to hijack the thread, just wanted share my experience for anyone thinking of getting a Texas Hatters hat. It's great quality, don't get me wrong, and I did end up getting it eventually, just dunno what the deal was.

Yeah keep a constant watch on texas hatters, they have great hats just horrible turn over time. It took me 2 and half months to get mine after due date. On your previous post regarding the suit, I'd say stay away from the suit, not only does it make it bulky under the trench, you end up having a heat stroke.

On your previous post regarding the suit, I'd say stay away from the suit, not only does it make it bulky under the trench, you end up having a heat stroke.

I assume you mean "stay away from the jacket"... since the suit consists of a jacket and pants. Rorschach without any pants becomes a different character entirely:

flasher.jpg

As Indy well knows, I am in 'whole hog' as we say here in the Midwest, for his suit and trenchcoat. This will be a static display more than a wearing costume, so the suit jacket weight won't be a bother.
I already have the scarf and gloves (thank you, Indy for the fast sendoff of those, they're very nice indeed); got the Journal+props and shifting shape mask from members of this board-Kalkamel for the journal, U2fan24 for the mask-all great stuff.

I will 'ride' Texas hatters and hope for the best. I am going to take my Bender hat to Gus Miller, here in Cincinnati, to see if he will fool around with trimming the brim and maybe swap the band ribbon. That was a rare miss for Tim and I'm sure he'd fix it if I sent it back but why bother him if I can get it fixed locally?

I assume you mean "stay away from the jacket"... since the suit consists of a jacket and pants. Rorschach without any pants becomes a different character entirely:

flasher.jpg

Last edited:
The good news seems to be that everyone who complains, with good reason, evidently, about Texas Hatters' response and delivery, eventually gets their hat. I had a worse experience with another Texas hatmaker, the reknowned Peters Brothers. They plain lost my order (but not my payment) for a 'silverbelly' Indy, and it took five months to get the hat. By that measure, Texas Hatters is lightning-like.

Gus Miller will tinker with my Tim Bender hat. Gus makes high-end hats but will occasionally humor me with some hobby work. He worked a miracle last year restoring to 'new' condition a beautiful latte colored English made Brooks Brothers 1950's vintage fedora. I had gotten it on ebay and it was very distressed, hat band disintegrating and it had actually been GLUED back on by the seller. The man is a miracle worker in felt.

UPDATE: Gus Miller made the hat look much more like the movie hat: wider band (2 1/4") and trimmed the brim. Still could stand a further 1/2" but hatmakers don't seem to get the idea of copying the movie hat exactly. They can't get themselve to make an ugly hat.
Texas Hatters barraged me with emails yesterday, even wanting photos of the top of my head and my face. I scared them by obliging their requests. Supposed to ship NEXT WEEK, which would be pretty durned unusual, from the posts here. We'll see.

UPDATE: Gus Miller made the hat look much more like the movie hat: wider band (2 1/4") and trimmed the brim. Still could stand a further 1/2" but hatmakers don't seem to get the idea of copying the movie hat exactly. They can't get themselve to make an ugly hat.
Texas Hatters barraged me with emails yesterday, even wanting photos of the top of my head and my face. I scared them by obliging their requests. Supposed to ship NEXT WEEK, which would be pretty durned unusual, from the posts here. We'll see.

My mom is a hatmaker, so where looking into making a accurate hat. The problem is that information about the hat isnt the same everywhere, especially the brim... I think found the basic shape of the hat, but the shape of the brim is hard to find.
GetInline.aspx

Yes, and it seems to change during the movie. I have watched quite a bit of the film over the last several weeks and notice that the brim appears more curled at the sides in some shots, flatter at the sides in others. The width seems to be about 1 3/4" or even less, which is skinny indeed!

My mom is a hatmaker, so where looking into making a accurate hat. The problem is that information about the hat isnt the same everywhere, especially the brim... I think found the basic shape of the hat, but the shape of the brim is hard to find.
GetInline.aspx

Even though they say they will ship keep on them about it. As for the hat brim being slightly different they probably used at least a few different hats from texas hatters for the movies. i.e stunt double, far away shot, and the hero style shots. The one custom detail that the movie did add was the purple ribbon.

Are you trying to go for movie or comic??

The reason why I ask is because the magnoli suit is a tad to purple for the movie version.
Comic Purple suit
Movie Wine Suit.

I ended up following what information was leaked about the pants originally being grey pinstripe that was dyed.
Just bought myself a 100% wool suit and did it myself.

what have you lined up for the coat???
setzer here on the rpf went and did both the magnoli coat and the aceofspades mod coat. I think he preferred the magnoli in the end.

I wanted the movie version. Got the Magnoli suit and the trench. Was pretty pleased with both. The trench looks very much like the movie coat at least at arm's length.

The hat is on its way. Tracking data says it will be here tomorrow. They were very good on communication, by phone and email, which surprised me, given the comments in this thread.

I admire your willingness to tackle the dye job yourself. I can do some basic sewing and have altered thinggs for myself but have never been satisfied with fabric dye jobs (have done OK with leather).

There is something nice about a 'turn key' finished product like Magnoli offers even if there are some things that could be better. His things are pricey but I am lucky that I have been able to scrape up the dough for them and he is pretty accomodating on the occasional installment plan purchase.

Even though they say they will ship keep on them about it. As for the hat brim being slightly different they probably used at least a few different hats from texas hatters for the movies. i.e stunt double, far away shot, and the hero style shots. The one custom detail that the movie did add was the purple ribbon.

Are you trying to go for movie or comic??

The reason why I ask is because the magnoli suit is a tad to purple for the movie version.
Comic Purple suit
Movie Wine Suit.

I ended up following what information was leaked about the pants originally being grey pinstripe that was dyed.
Just bought myself a 100% wool suit and did it myself.

what have you lined up for the coat???
setzer here on the rpf went and did both the magnoli coat and the aceofspades mod coat. I think he preferred the magnoli in the end.

OK, just got the Texas Hatters dress weight 'Rorschach' and it's very nice, just like the movie version. For my money (and it is, isn't it?) it could be a tad taller but the brim is 1 1/2" and the 'teardrop' crown, in profile, recedes downward toward the rear, like the movie one. This felt is still sturdier than what I think of as a 'dress' felt hat, like a Dobbs or Borsalino, in fact, it's just a little lighter than the Tim Bender hat.
The Bender hat, once Gus Miller 'adjusted' it, is also a very nice hat and significantly less pricey than the Texas Hatters. If you contact Tim for the Rorschach, I'd recommend you tell him it's the stingy brim pecan teadrop fedora, 1 1/2" brim, with the 2" ribbon. Otherwise, he'll make a hat that looks more sensible.
The Texas Hatters hat is 'the real deal', since they furnished the movie ones and I'm glad to have it.

Really looking forward to seeing your finished piece, it will definitely be a awesome costume.
On another note I really wish someone could have confirmed the origin of the coat. Out of all the research ive done there was alot of speculation but no anwsers.

I MUST SEE PICS OF YOUR OUTFIT!!! :love lol

OK, just got the Texas Hatters dress weight 'Rorschach' and it's very nice, just like the movie version. For my money (and it is, isn't it?) it could be a tad taller but the brim is 1 1/2" and the 'teardrop' crown, in profile, recedes downward toward the rear, like the movie one. This felt is still sturdier than what I think of as a 'dress' felt hat, like a Dobbs or Borsalino, in fact, it's just a little lighter than the Tim Bender hat.
The Bender hat, once Gus Miller 'adjusted' it, is also a very nice hat and significantly less pricey than the Texas Hatters. If you contact Tim for the Rorschach, I'd recommend you tell him it's the stingy brim pecan teadrop fedora, 1 1/2" brim, with the 2" ribbon. Otherwise, he'll make a hat that looks more sensible.
The Texas Hatters hat is 'the real deal', since they furnished the movie ones and I'm glad to have it.

It's about 2" too long, but that's my fault. I input the measurements on the site for a full length coat, somehow expecting Magnoli to read my mind that these would be altered for a 3/4 length. He would have made it any length I put down. As it is, 2" is not much off and I'm happy with it. The waxed cotton, brown cloth is pretty close to the movie look. If I could bring myself to distress it, it would be perfect.

How is the magnoli coat as far as overall length goes?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back