RookFett's MPC 22" Eagle Transporter Build

RookOmega

First build thread here at the RPF - hopefully the start of many build threads.

Just came today in the mail -

IMG_4795.JPG

Yep very interested in this,.....I'm waiting on mine

....should this build thread be in the General Modelling section though?,....this kit is half the studio scale?

J

Technically this kit is studio scale, so why move it here?.
The 22" was built along with the 44", 11" & 5 1/2" Eagles for the effects work.
I don't get it??.
Stu

I was just suggesting because of the tech specs by Round 2 they say that the model is based on the 44" Eagle 1.....(not you:D)

All new 22-inch kit of the Space 1999 Eagle. Features include:
  • 1:48 scale
  • 22 inches long
  • styrene
  • based on the main filming miniature as seen in the first season
  • accurate structure
  • spring loaded landing gear
  • two figures for the cockpit
  • clear windows
  • no interior except for the bulkhead visible through the front windows
The Eagle Transporter is the iconic capital spacecraft featured in the Gerry Anderson show Space:1999. The previous release of the 12” version of the ship has always been well-received by fans and modelers everywhere. MPC now releases an ALL-NEW kit of the ship. Exhaustively researched for accuracy, it is 1/2 studio scale and based on 44” season 1 filming miniature. The completed model, comprised of nearly 300 parts in white and clear plastic, is nearly 22” long and features spring-loaded landing foot pads, pilot figures and all decals needed to fully decorate the ship. Special attention has been paid to ensure it assembles as easily as Round 2’s release of the Polar Lights 1:350 scale TOS Enterprise.

J

Last edited by a moderator:
It's great to see these 22" Eagle threads starting to show up.

This kit is technically studio scale since there was a 22" studio model Eagle. However this kit is based on the actual 44" Eagle and it's details and not the look and details of the 22" Eagle. I'm not sure if this is still considered studio scale since it's based on the shape and details of the 44" studio Eagle.

Yep very interested in this,.....I'm waiting on mine

....should this build thread be in the General Modelling section though?,....this kit is half the studio scale?

J

22" was a studio model size used (44", 11", and 5.5" were the other sizes).

This kit represents the "hero" version of the 44", scaled down to 22" - I thought it would still be considered studio scale, since it's 22"? If the admins wish - they can move the thread.

All ready milling some new engine parts on the CNC, looking forward to this build.

eng_eag.jpgfuel_bal.jpg

Here are the parts - I don't want to take them out of the baggies since I am still at work and dont want to lose anything - but they are sharp and crisp.

IMG_4797.JPG

Clear parts, white parts, and gray parts. They included springs for the feet, and the decals are sharp and crisp, and they have the letraset decals missing from a lot of eagle builds.

IMG_4798.JPG

The kit had the input of Chris Trice, Daniel Prud'homme, and E. James Small - and I know their work is top notch concerning the Eagle - so you won't go wrong getting this kit.

Last edited:
Fair comments chaps. I can see now that it is a half scale version of one of the 44" miniatures, but still, being 22" & there was a 22" built for the show, I feel it could safely be placed in the studio scale section as I believe it is size that matters most in that section. Maybe that's just my feelings though?.

I think its been moved already

Another way of looking at the 22" being 1/2 the size of the studio scale,...but there being 22" models used for filming, could be,.....I'm building a Bandai Millennium Falcon which is based on the 5 foot Falcon modified for The Empire Strikes Back,.....Its very accurate to the 5 footer,....it just needs a 3D printed circular Radar dish,...& thats it.....the only thing is that its only 9 inches long,......BUT......there was a tiny Millennium Falcon built that size which was attached to the back of a Star Destroyer & also used hanging from a Medical ship,....so do you think it would be ok for me to post a build thread on Studio Scale?

J

just to add fuel to the fire:

if this is not a "studio scale" eagle, then why are the DeAgostini Millenium Falcon build threads considered to be "studio scale"?

if this is not a "studio scale" eagle, then why are the DeAgostini Millenium Falcon build threads considered to be "studio scale"?

Well that is a good question....the DeAgo is a 1:1 scale model of the 32" filming model,....so it will be exactly the same size, shape & details as the studio model.....BUT.....this is the tricky bit,...the DeAgo goes further with details....like the interior of the cockpit & hold....which is based on the full sized sets,...which the filming model didn't have

So its studio scale not studio accurate,.....the 22" Eagle is the other way round,.....it is accurate to the 44" main eagle model,.....but half the size

J

Haha I give up on this entire 'what is studio scale' dilemma, I feel there are so many opinions & this question alone causes so much strife. Best left alone & build what we build.

Now...back to the topic here...the fantastic 22" MPC Eagle, woohoo!
Stu

I know,....I cant wait till mine comes,....I ended up getting it from Forbidden Planet UK,.....not a bad price considering import etc

I just hope I can do it justice,....I have the Warp kit & the 1/72 Round 2 MPC re-release,.....but I keep bringing it out to have a look,...then putting it away again,....theres so much work to do on the 1/72 MPC,...I've done all the flash removal on the Warp one but it still looks rough

J

Well that is a good question....the DeAgo is a 1:1 scale model of the 32" filming model,....so it will be exactly the same size, shape & details as the studio model.....BUT.....this is the tricky bit,...the DeAgo goes further with details....like the interior of the cockpit & hold....which is based on the full sized sets,...which the filming model didn't have

So its studio scale not studio accurate,.....the 22" Eagle is the other way round,.....it is accurate to the 44" main eagle model,.....but half the size

J

to me, the easiest answer is the best:

if you have to ask, the answer is always "no"

My tuppence worth-If there was a twenty two inch "studio" version, then this is studio scale! Just some people being pedantic! So what if the details are based on a bigger, more detailed model. This hobby is all about enjoying ourselves, so lets enjoy this build and stop bickering over a minor issue!;)

My tuppence worth-If there was a twenty two inch "studio" version, then this is studio scale! Just some people being pedantic! So what if the details are based on a bigger, more detailed model. This hobby is all about enjoying ourselves, so lets enjoy this build and stop bickering over a minor issue!;)

Totally agree
It looks like a fantastic model and I can't wait to see the build
Also I'm really jealous

FYI, Here are a few "glitches" with the model that you might want to watch out for when building.

http://www.collectormodel.com/#sthash.wRTTsAwd.Bn5A53RZ.dpbs
Speaking of flaws… with as much energy as we put into the kit, nothing can be considered perfect. I’m going to be up front and fill you in on the handful of things to keep an eye out for if you are a discriminating modeler.

1. One point the factory misinterpreted in their final clean up was the presence of two “teeth” on the trailing edge of the command module halves. The presence of them would allow the main pod shell to grip onto the back wall without the need for cement. Unfortunately these were removed on accident and are not present on the first production run of kits. This has already been corrected on the tooling so subsequent production runs will have this feature.
Part-E1-pins.jpg

2. During the tool polishing stage, the factory got a bit carried away on the port windshield part causing a bit of a wave in it which gives a bit of distortion when looking through it. The tool is being reworked to correct this as well.
MPC825-PART-S102-NOTE.jpg

3. There are pins present on the back side of the CM sensor dishes. These pins are oriented at an incorrect angle. This will get fixed later on too.
MPC825-PART-P6-NOTE-11-4.jpg

4. Two errors were present in the data we sent to the factory that was used to create the model. Correcting these problems was problematic as it would require substantial tool work for the very slightest amount of change. the first error is the depth of the RCS thruster housing. They are 1mm too deep.
MPC825-PART-65-NOTE.jpg

5. The second error was not noticed until just recently. The nozzles on the loose Gemini domes should have been either A) been fudged a bit so one part could be used in every application or B) had lefts and rights made on the tool. Sadly this wasn’t the case so now the “lean” (the angle is fairly slight) in the wrong direction in some cases.
Screen-Shot-2016-01-12-at-9.45.jpg

6. Lastly, The screws that are included in the kit are not “self tappers” so you will need to use a drill bit or another instrument to create a hole in the top of the passenger pod roof. Don’t make it too big obviously…

They will be working to fix those on future runs

Last edited:
This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back