Ronon Dex gun on Atlantis?

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by wuher da brewer, Aug 26, 2005.

1. wuher da brewer

wuher da brewer Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I was wondering if anyone had any info on Ronon's gun on Stargate: Atlantis. He's a new character and his gun is quite powerful. I haven't seen any info on it yet.

2. SurferGeek

SurferGeek Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I remember seeing a good shot of it somewhere... I'll see if I can turn it up.

3. wuher da brewer

4. SurferGeek

Here 'ya go... The last one is nicest. The part just behind the cylinder appears to be acrylic, you can just make it out in a couple of the shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. wuher da brewer

Thanks.

Now if only someone has pics of the whole gun from his and Colonel Sheppard's target practice from the previous week's episode. The grip section may give some idea as to the base piece.

6. SurferGeek

From what I recall, the grip is leather or cloth wrapped so that won't reveal much...

7. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

The lines on the last pic are just like a cap and ball Colt 1860 Army--the cylinder looks like it's been converted to fire cartridges. Does it look like he * it for each shot?

I'll try and find a pic ;)

edit - It looks like they only used the top half since the trigger and grips look way too low :unsure

1860 Colt

Colt conversion

8. wuher da brewer

He does * it sometimes but he doesn't seem to do it consistently but that's tv. He spins the gun like the Terminator in Terminator II.

9. Sporkey

Sporkey Well-Known Member

when i first saw it, i thought that it kinda looked like the base was one of those cheapo waterguns, based on vashs revolver from trigun, and the clear area right behind the "catridge chamber" seems to have leds or some other light source in it, i also say cartridge as last nights episode showed the chamber opening to the side, and it being loaded with a cartridge or battery

10. ArkRaider

ArkRaider Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

11. docholl

docholl Well-Known Member

If it IS based on a Colt Percussion Pistol, my bet is it's the 60 Army or 61 Navy. That destinctive curve on the underside of the barrel gives it away.

12. SurferGeek

Saw the same thing, he dropped it in as you would a speed loader but what he dropped in was a single unit which stayed in the chamber when he closed it. I'm not sure the acrylic part is lit or it just captures the light making it appear so. When they went into the cave it didn't glow.

Might be an interesting build.

13. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I don't even see a hammer on this thing, I don't think it even fires blanks, based on the business end of the gun, which looks plugged with those little red bits on it, are those lights? That's a modern day cylinder though.

I've never watched the show, does it have a muzzle flash, or it is a laser gun?

Interesting design.

Njc--------------------------

14. PtByNmbrs

PtByNmbrs New Member

Cool gun, I also have been all over this since the first episode. Yes the milky or translucent part behind the cylinder is lit, it was orange in RononÂ’s first episode but now look like a white light. Maybe stun and kill settings? (Phase pistol anyone?)

It has a series of red LEDÂ’s on the front and fires a CG animated energy blast.

I believe it was inspired by the guns talked about here, but is in fact completely fabricated maybe with some found parts.

And the grip is wrapped in Braided hair looking stuff like the hilt of sword he was carrying last night.

here:

Pic 1. braided hilt wrap, looks like maybe the gun grip has a similar wrapping.

Pic 2&3. Grip and trigger guard are squared off not like the old Colts

Pic 4. It looks to me like the cylinder is “cut in half “so to say, and one side pops out at an angle (see sketch.)

Pic 5. The reddish glow is visible here.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. PtByNmbrs

PtByNmbrs New Member

16. SurferGeek

Pretty much won me on the lit acrylic. But, I don't think it's a stock cylinder or similar to your drawing. It seemed that he just dropped in a charge and swung the pistol over as you would any revolver to close the cylinder.

I guess we'll be able to tell more as the series continues... As much as he likes to twirl that thing around and as much as they seem to like to showcase him pointing it at everyone they meet I'm sure we'll get lots of opportunities to get good screen caps.

17. PtByNmbrs

PtByNmbrs New Member

Here you can see the highlight on the open cylinder is at an angle, if it dropped like a regular revolver the highlight would be parallel to the gun.

[​IMG]

Here you can see he puts the load in at the same angle.

[​IMG]

he doesnÂ’t swing the gun closed, you donÂ’t see him close it as all, the scene cuts away.

18. Gigatron

Gigatron Sr Member

It's hard to say for sure, but in the last episode it sort of looked like it was a top break revolver/shotgun. There was one scene where he either spun it or flipped it open to reload it.

As for the gun in the second post, that * shotgun certainly makes it rounds; first in Blade III, then in some crappy sci-fi channel movie du jour and now this. What a lack of originality on sci-fi's prop departments part :unsure

-Fred

19. rad1701

rad1701 Sr Member

Love that gun. Anyone going to tackle this - maybe in resin?

20. PtByNmbrs

PtByNmbrs New Member

After watching my DVD a hundred more times IÂ’ve revised my theory on the gun a little.

It looks like in these pictures there is a gap on the left side of the gun thatÂ’s not on the right, this supports my angle opening cylinder theory. And after watching the bar scene again and again I think the load is the acrylic thing (see sketch) but IÂ’m not too sure about that yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. Sporkey

interesting, i never considered the acrylic part being the cartridge/battery before

22. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

I think the "GAP" photo may just be a shadow on the front of the round cylinder, having no part of the gun in front of it, while on the right side, part of the gun matches the shape of the cyliner, but there is clearly a gap, a line, where the cylinder ends, and the rest of the gun begins.

If this is a non-firing prop gun, they may well have hinged the cylinder to swing out to the left at an odd angle. The whole gun is an odd looking beast really.

Noeland---------------------------

23. Prop-Maker

Prop-Maker Well-Known Member

One thing I can tell you for sure is it's not a Navy revolver. Navy revolvers have an octagonal barrel and from what you can see of the barrel on this gun, it's round. I have two 1851 Colt Navy precussion revolvers. If anyone would like pics for reference or anything, lemme know.

- Edit -
    Most Navy revolvers also had an engraved cylinder... I believe it's an engraving of ships at sea. But I can't tell you if that's just an officer's thing or what.

24. Mr_Creepy

Mr_Creepy Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I think all of the Colt percussion pistols had engraved cylinders.

The cylinders also had a rounded back-end---this one looks like a straight-walled cartridge conversion (that evidently doesn't use catridges :lol)

25. Prop-Maker

I've never seen an engraved Army revolver. If I see any, they won't have an engraved cylinder depicting ships at sea, like on Navy revolvers. Basic Army revolvers issued from around 1847-1865 were mostly chambered in either .36 or .44 caliber and issued to those holding the rank of (I believe) Captain or higher. The average soldier couldn't afford a revolver and certainly couldn't afford fancy engravings. Fully engraved pistols were usually given to the major generals and such (like Grant or Lee, for example) for PR purposes or to honor their accomplishments on the field. I've seen engraved revolvers from that period, but I think most were done post civil war, when percussion/"cap and ball" weapons were being ousted in favor of cartridge rounds.

26. docholl

docholl Well-Known Member

Colts 1860 Army Pistol came from the factory with a roll engraved cylinder (unless it was the scarce fluted cylinder version). The pistol was made in .44 caliber.

27. Prop-Maker

Wow, I didn't know that. With all the percussion pistols I see, I'm surprised I haven't come accross one by now. :D

28. Sporkey

ok, so i found a picture of the cheapo "vash" gun, and it is too different to be the base, it is also isnt very accurate to the vash gun either, but i think ronons gun base is a more accurate version of vash's gun

29. hydin

hydin Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

cant really help much here, but i can tell you the best episode to check for decent sunlight screen caps would be "runner" where his charactor first pops up.

tons of shots of the pistol.

the more i see it, the more i think seriously modded out revolver. no idea what make or model, but theres not much there to see besides the modded parts. barely any "original" look to it.

chris

30. PtByNmbrs

PtByNmbrs New Member

I still think it a completely original gun, maybe, possibly, it has some sort of toy or water gun base and I doubt that. Every original gun made for multiple episodes on Stargate have been original designs and completely manufactured Zat, TER, Wraith stunner, and some others only used in one episode. (when they arenÂ’t dipping into the movie prop goody bag.)

IÂ’m just saying keep an open mind, not every prop is based on a real object.

31. Sporkey

i know, but when i look at the gun it resembles the vash gun to me, of course i might just be crazy

32. PtByNmbrs

PtByNmbrs New Member

Oh I know what you mean, they are very similar, but... the grip and trigger guard are very different. The length and the flatness of the barrel that you can kind of see on the Ronon gun do look like the vash.

33. Sporkey

ok, so i take back my statement that the vash gun is the base, after examiniing the gun carefully, i see that the only thing in the gun that resembles the vash gun is the the cylinder

34. wGraves

wGraves Well-Known Member

Was watching Atlantis Tonight and it had a great shot of the gun, The Acrylic part on the gun was very well lit. The more iI see this thing the more I want it. I hope this keeps going would love to have one.

William

35. SurferGeek

A few more nice screenshots of the weapon:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

36. wuher da brewer

Exceptional screencaps. Thanks.

37. SurferGeek

Would love to see a good clear photo of the gun, instead of a screenshot. A couple of the images I posted above show the "gap, no gap" and definately support the theory, especially the second to the last.

38. SurferGeek

Bump to keep fresh...

39. SurferGeek

Bump... Any further developments? With the show on "break" it's likely to cause this thread to drop before anything else fresh comes around in the form of pictures.

40. lgtsbr

lgtsbr Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

show is back this week - anyone make any progress on this?

Dave

41. Noeland

Noeland Sr Member

The cylinder isn't from a cap and ball gun, there are not "nipples" for the caps to go onto around the back edge. It looks almost like they used an unflutted cylinder from a smith and wesson 44.

Njc---------------------------

42. franz bolo

franz bolo Sr Member

I didn't read the entire post, but the piece on the left, in front of the cylinder, looks like a vacuume cleaner attachment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

43. wuher da brewer

:lol

That would be funny if you were correct.

44. SurferGeek

This was posted in another forum by digitalangel1:

Ronan's gun is based on the Colt 80.. in the magazine Starburst specail #71 production designer Bridget McGuire staits that Ronan dex hand gun is based on the Colt 80 which the model shop took her design and redrew in a 3D computer program for their CNC [routing]machine. the gun itself was then cut out of aircraft aluminium..

there is also a studio art picture along with the article.. i'llscan it in...

Here's the image that was posted and if someone has the article maybe they can post a larger scan so we can make out the text.

[​IMG]

45. Kaylee

Kaylee Well-Known Member

WHat's a Colt 80? I'm not familiar with it.. The only thing I can think of is the Colt series 80, which is a 1911 with some extra safety mechanisms on the inside.. but it still looks like a 1911.

I can say the barrel part isn't directly from a Colt 1860, though the general lines are similar and likely inspired by it. The barrel assy on a Colt is relatively flat, rather than rounded and flush with the front of the cylinder.

46. SurferGeek

"Based on..." The whole thing was probably reworked and tweaked until you see what's being used in the show. Considering the entire weapon was done on a CNC machine the only way we're going to get one is if someone get's their hands on one from the show or someone scratch builds one.

47. njo deadly

njo deadly New Member

I can just make out some of the words.

Rechargeable Power Cell
    Note- when power cell is depleted or removed all weapon lights go out

Grip wrapped with Braided Wraith Hair

Cell Strength Indicators
    ( something something Arcylic hemispheres with something something/holographic backing)

Opens chamber to reload power cell

3 Settings - Amber = Stung, Red = Kill, Green = Incinerates

have a look here.

[​IMG]

48. Prop Runner

Prop Runner Sr Member

Hmm... Maybe something I could whip up in 3D CAD... :D

Gotta love a gun that illuminates the shooter in the dark... Guess in that civilization they haven't invented bullseyes yet. :lol Maybe it doubles as a nightlite? :p

- Gabe