Romans Machined MK1, plating parts?

SithApprentice

I have a romans MK1 machine finish. Was shocked to see it start to quickly develop rust. I tore it apart, used 0000 steel pad to remove rust, then Blue Magic to polish.

I’m wanting this prop to be like new. As clean and as shiny as possible. As well as sealed and rust proof. I found a shop to chrome the emitter for me.

The MK1 and static booster... I thought about clear coating but don’t wanna take the gamble of rust developing under the clear coat.

I thought about black chrome, but after talking to many shops, that sound like a big no. Any ideas or suggestions on how to seal these parts up and maintain a similar color, and ability to polish?

Attachments

• 00C88BC0-F421-4DBA-98C0-9E19D1D2B677.jpeg
    00C88BC0-F421-4DBA-98C0-9E19D1D2B677.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 167
The easiest way to go would be hitting them with some wax and grease remover, and clear coating with Rustoleum clear. It should prevent any rust, but IF any did develop, it would be as simple as dunking it in some lacquer thinner for a few minutes and you’d be able to pull that clear off. It isn’t a situation you can’t come back from by any means.

The easiest way to go would be hitting them with some wax and grease remover, and clear coating with Rustoleum clear. It should prevent any rust, but IF any did develop, it would be as simple as dunking it in some lacquer thinner for a few minutes and you’d be able to pull that clear off. It isn’t a situation you can’t come back from by any means.

Okay, I may go this route.

I think black chrome would have been nice, but from emails I got back from small plating companies, it’s a specialty process that a lot of people don’t do. And I’m assuming would be more of a full production thing and not small batch.

But I think I’ll take your advice. Only question, after polishing it (I’m using blue magic), wouldn’t a degreaser take away from my polishing efforts?

Since I took it apart I have been using gloves to handle the parts.

sealing is a tricky thing. I have gun oil on my real parts Obi, but I've worked on another than was coated in clear coat. Get the satin clear and it shouldn't dull it too much. You could also use paste wax (Briwax, Johnsons, caranubaetc. or Renissance) the first few are pretty durable and can polish right up! May have to be reapplied a couple times a year

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back