Rohan Royal Guard Armor - WIP- Lord of the Rings Rohirrim Costume

16493825131_6a7b5d3607_c.jpg

Now I have to use the bending brake to give them all the vertical bend like the screen used costume has.
im thinking it's going to take around 800 of these for me.
eventually I plan to sew all these on to a duck cloth tunic.

Definitely sew the scales on to a backing as that's how scale armor was actually made, just attaching them to each other makes it lamellar but it would need more attachment points to be like true lamellar.

Anyway, looking good so far. I don't envy the task ahead of you in making the scale armor, I don't think that I would have the patience to do that. I once considered making a set of lamellar like the ones seen on the tomb figures of the 1st Emperor of China but never went through with when I sat down and really thought about all of the plates that I would have to attach to each other.

Looking great so far. (And I'm a big fan of The Ring Lord - even though it takes them forever to put orders together...)

I hope you're planning on bending as many scales at one time as you can fit on the brake...

How do you get the the coiled wire to wrap round the curve of the armour pieces so smoothly and how do you fix it in place?

It's actually just some rope looking gift wrapping cord I found, very carefully superglued into place. I used a glaze over the whole thing before making a mold as well.

Really love the weathering, it makes such a difference to the appearance. And let's face it, everything on LOTR got serious weathering. What have you used to do this?

Really love the weathering, it makes such a difference to the appearance. And let's face it, everything on LOTR got serious weathering. What have you used to do this?

its a tinted spray toner, sprayed on and then wiped off

- - - Updated - - -

Found the perfect burgundy/red linen that matched the screen used Rohirrim costume, and had the undertunic made.

Also now have the black duck cloth tunic, and I can start sewing the scales directly onto it.

And looks like my Ren Faire boots will work with it as well!

16689641202_d9c28c5241_c.jpg

16664730306_2bbb9b981d_c.jpg

16689642682_c1011af114_c.jpg

So much to do, I sourced out for the spearhead. Commissioned from InKibus of InKiWirks. The Rohirrim have a distinct spear design and it came out spot-on!

16611782140_506f5f6a99_o.jpg

16611782140_506f5f6a99_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I Stained the poles a light color, and added a leather wrap to the handle to cover the seam when I put the pieces together.
All together it ends up being about 7.5 feet tall!
The banner is one of the officially licensed banner replicas from New Line Cinema.

16688964628_5c8b1a057a_c.jpg

16875409432_2336c0b69e_c.jpg

16850706736_a687f033de_c.jpg

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back