Rogue One Death Star Datatape Cartridge - Round two!

B0F4C00B-7D88-42B2-9260-BF9BD3CA74F8.jpeg

Sooooo close :))) Had some misalignment issues on the laser cutter but it’s only (slightly) noticeable in a couple areas. I love the new blue acrylic designs, they’re extended from the last version, and include a few additional details.

The clears are almost identical, and even tried a variation but the original still looks best. Hoping to share again tomorrow at a near-completion stage but might be missing a few bits here and there.

Behold, mark 2!

Really love the way this turned out. I had access to a lot more tools / knowledge this time around and think the build quality this time around is significantly better than the last time I took a crack at these.

That said, assembly on this one took much longer than expected since my painting setup is rather difficult where I live now compared to last time, which also means I can't really work on more than one or two at a time. I'm also working off a relatively small build platform size, so I can't print the body in one go, I have to separate them out into handle+body which also adds some time in hiding seam lines + gluing. TLDR this one looks great, but have to think about my approach if I intend to scale it further. Still absolutely love this project, I'll take some time the next few days to think about how to tackle a small run. All suggestions welcome!

Attachments

• IMG_0243.JPG
    IMG_0243.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 91
  • IMG_0244.JPG
    IMG_0244.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0245.JPG
    IMG_0245.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0247.JPG
    IMG_0247.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    460.4 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0238.JPG
    IMG_0238.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
After a couple of weeks of chipping away at them, I have a small initial run of five finished Stardust data tapes. One is accounted for already, leaving four in this initial run. I’m opening the interest list with the following holds as follows, and on Wednesday 7/26/23 I’ll “reset” the list to anyone interested following this message. I’ll reach out for deposits this following weekend.

The first five pieces will be ready to ship by the first week of August for $275 + Shipping, a slight premium over last run’s $250 due to build quality improvements.

I’ll also open the list for an initial run of 6 kits for $175 + Shipping, which will include the components for the main body, the acrylics, and all the bits, pieces, and wires required for the final piece (excludes basics like glue, paint, sandpaper, etc.). The main body was designed for significantly easier assembly this time around. I’ll start accepting deposits for these in mid-August while I assemble components.

Edit: keeping track of this list and updating on the first page of the thread going forward.

Last edited:
After a couple of weeks of chipping away at them, I have a small initial run of five finished Stardust data tapes. One is accounted for already, leaving four in this initial run. I’m opening the interest list with the following holds as follows, and on Wednesday 7/26/23 I’ll “reset” the list to anyone interested following this message. I’ll reach out for deposits this following weekend.

The first five pieces will be ready to ship by the first week of August for $275 + Shipping, a slight premium over last run’s $250 due to build quality improvements.

Finished
1. Claimed
2. Interest -
3. Interest - Detaleader
4. Interest - DuneSoldat
5. Interest - Hollap1no

Excited to do another one of these, and please let me know if you have any questions!
EDIT:
I have to drop out due to an unexpected bill sadly. I'll see if I can sign up for a future run. Sorry!

Last edited:
Creating a new thread since I think the old progress one was deleted in the lost land of 2020.

I made this one in 2020 using Birdie's design and master chassis, but since the first run I haven't been able to work on much. However, I’ve recently been able to access some new tools and been wanting to practice design so I think this might be a project I want to work on again. I don't trust myself to start the revamp in a timely fashion so posting a progress threat to hold myself accountable, lol.

A few planned updates:
  1. Redesigned main body for better accuracy around the bottom section of the data tape.
  2. Redesign the back side to better fit the silver acrylic plates.
  3. Recesses in certain areas where glue must be applied for a better look.
  4. Toying with the idea of making the main body in solid 3D Printed resin since I have access to a few different materials now.
  5. Slight tweaks to the laser-cut pieces with iteration since I had to outsource last time.
I won’t be opening an interest list until I have some progress in the right direction and to see if 3D printing (SLA) is even a viable option. Also curious to see if I can print one using SLS for fun, though the grainy texture is probably not what we want. I’ll be posting soon with some initial designs.

The first four attachments are the first version I made, and the second is from the first project run with a few tweaks of its own so I guess this is more like round three. A handful of more images from V1 here.

Edit - Opened up interest list!

Small Initial Run of V2s

Finished - Accepting deposits early August
1. Claimed
2. Interest - (Pending Confirmation)
3. Interest - Detaleader
4. Interest - DuneSoldat (Pending confirmation)
5. Interest - Hollap1no

Kit - Accepting deposits mid August
1. Claimed
2. Interest - Speederbiker (Pending confirmation)
3. Interest - MandoJedi
4. Interest -
5. Interest -
6. Interest –

Future Run Interest

*Ecoli
*SpawnDe
*the Pawn (x2 Pieces)
*BrundelFly
*Kursosawa

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back