Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

In regards to the U-Wing and being upscaled, I think that this picture gives a good sense of its size and scale and shows that it's not just an upscaled 1 or 2 man figther. You can tell that the canopy is pretty small and really suited for 2, maybe 3 people inside, at most. Then there are the engines, while they superficially resemble an X-Wings engines I don't think that they're the same and they look much larger than an X-Wing's engines as well.

attachment.php

I actually like the large size of the u-wing.

I wish there were more ships in star wars that were built for a small crew. I'd even love to see the Falcon with a small regular crew of 5 or so

I actually like the large size of the u-wing.

I wish there were more ships in star wars that were built for a small crew. I'd even love to see the Falcon with a small regular crew of 5 or so

Like how it was to have been shown more in ROTJ? With at least three people in the cockpit, and gunners in both turrets? It's why I like the TIE Phantom, the Skipray, or Slave I (as originally envisioned, with a crew of 3). Heck, it's one of the things I like about the Ghost on Rebels -- an actual crew.

--Jonah

Who's to say that both aren't in service at the same time? It's far from unbelievable as it happens in real life, new vehicles and equipment aren't replaced all at once, it takes time to build things so everything gets replaced over time. In the case of the AT-ST.
Again, I'm not saying don't use the ROTJ scout walker, I'm saying don't degrade the AT-AT.

I think they will fix the explanation in the EU. Maybe something new comes on line down the road that is better. The U-Wing seems awfully under gunned (from what we've seen) for a gunship. Especially compared to the Republic Gunship.

Oh and there's no way for the Empire to steal the specs IF Incom still defected to the Rebels like in the old Legends stuff. Supposedly they took the X-Wing prototypes and all their research and defected to the Rebels.

What pisses me off about the Mary Sue stuff, men do this kind of things in films all the time and they really don't get labeled as Gary Stu's very much. Most people had never heard of a Mary Sue before last year. I know professional writers that had never heard of the term before.

Also a Mary Sue would have seen the droid and not fired (cuz she's so great) instead of shooting one of her own team.

Damn you Landis for starting this horse-sh#t

- - - Updated - - -

I'm trying to figure out where one would have been useful in the battles we saw in EP 4-6.

Curious if they will have some kind of explanation why we never saw a U-Wing again?
It must be unique in some way.

I think they will fix the explanation in the EU. Maybe something new comes on line down the road that is better. The U-Wing seems awfully under gunned (from what we've seen) for a gunship. Especially compared to the Republic Gunship.

In one of the trailer clips concerning Uwing guns but I'm gonna spoiler it anyway
The guns actually fire on an At-ACT legs and burn through them

I'm thinking the AT-ATs of ESB have stronger armor.

another thing i always thought of, or should i say "made up" was that we hear in ESB the speeders had a hard time adjusting to the cold temperatures, so maybe the laser canons were weakened by the cold weather as well.

i know they way luke says it it sounds like the armors too strong for blasters but maybe its because the speeders are 100%

just something i always pretended happened. like how i pretend chewies cross bow needs a charge by the end of TFA, thats why kylo took the hit standing up and not blow across the room like the storm troopers at maz's castle. he was firing that sucker all day, on the freighter, at maz's castle, on star killer base..

oh god look what i did, back to the AT AT armor! lol

another thing i always thought of, or should i say "made up" was that we hear in ESB the speeders had a hard time adjusting to the cold temperatures, so maybe the laser canons were weakened by the cold weather as well.

i know they way luke says it it sounds like the armors too strong for blasters but maybe its because the speeders are 100%

just something i always pretended happened. like how i pretend chewies cross bow needs a charge by the end of TFA, thats why kylo took the hit standing up and not blow across the room like the storm troopers at maz's castle. he was firing that sucker all day, on the freighter, at maz's castle, on star killer base..

oh god look what i did, back to the AT AT armor! lol

Or it just be that the AT-ACTs, being just giant armored U-Hauls aren't really as heavily armored as an AT-AT is. My only question is, why the AT-ACT? Yeah, we know the Empire likes things big, but what purpose is there in making an AT-AT like cargo hauler? Is it to say to the people of the Empire, "Even our cargo haulers are massive and armored, so don't your dare rebel"? Or to say that the Imperial military is so mighty that even their cargo transports can crush rebels and dissenters. Makes no logical sense to me, I really think that they could have gone with a regular AT-AT, either OT or Rebels version, and been just fine.

Guess the filmmakers wanted to change a little bit so it didn't feel to copied. But being in the same time period, I think it could have been fine with all the original ships.

Wow, if they can manage that just for a bit of fun, imagine what they will do for the movie!!!!!

On everything else ,why don't we all take a chill pill and relax.

I wasn't keen initially on the newer designs for a few reasons. Firstly the U wing was presented wrongly as a fighter and we had no sense of scale, now that we do I'm fine with it. If we haven't seen it in ANH well, that can be explained away by the Rebels knowing the DS is coming for them and they have already evacuated most of the staff in them so there are just the ground crews for the fighters left. You can argue about the fact we don't see them anywhere else in the OT but then you also don't see any of the really large rebel capital ships in ANH or TESB and some of the other craft either. If I were a hunted rebel force I'd divide my numbers up as well.
And we don't know yet what the AT ACT are exactly used for transport wise but the longer legs and less heavy armour make sense if they are to be used in water enviroments where the ground isn't particularly solid and the wet sandy beaches would impede their movement. No point in having something hugely armour plated like a rhino if it sinks up to its axles the moment it tries to shift some heavy load.
The new TIE looks odd until you see it move. In those Rogue car adverts that ship swoops like a hawk and the moveable wings make absolute sense for that, more jet like in an atmosphere.
In short in twelve days or so we can really get to grips with any problems we have with the film. Until then lets have a little optimism here and try to fly casual.

Last edited:
Wow, if they can manage that just for a bit of fun, imagine what they will do for the movie!!!!!

On everything else ,why don't we all take a chill pill and relax.

I wasn't keen initially on the newer designs for a few reasons. Firstly the U wing was presented wrongly as a fighter and we had no sense of scale, now that we do I'm fine with it. If we haven't seen it in ANH well, that can be explained away by the Rebels knowing the DS is coming for them and they have already evacuated most of the staff in them so there are just the ground crews for the fighters left. You can argue about the fact we don't see them anywhere else in the OT but then you also don't see any of the really large rebel capital ships in ANH or TESB and some of the other craft either. If I were a hunted rebel force I'd divide my numbers up as well.
And we don't know yet what the AT ACT are exactly used for transport wise but the longer legs and less heavy armour make sense if they are to be used in water enviroments where the ground isn't particularly solid and the wet sandy beaches would impede their movement. No point in having something hugely armour plated like a rhino if it sinks up to its axles the moment it tries to shift some heavy load.
The new TIE looks odd until you see it move. In those Rogue car adverts that ship swoops like a hawk and the moveable wings make absolute sense for that, more jet like in an atmosphere.
In short in twelve days or so we can really get to grips with any problems we have with the film. Until then lets have a little optimism here and try to fly casual.

I only have a problem with the AT-ACTs, and not much else and for me the problem with them is that they seem pointless from logic/military standpoint, why would you spend the time and resources in building an AT-AT like cargo hauler when you could build something much simpler to do the same. It would be like the US taking an M1 Abrams chassis and converting it to haul cargo when we have a fleet of trucks to do it for much less? It just smacks too much of coming up with a new design for the sake of a new design, not that I'm opposed to new designs but they should make some sense.

As for the U-Wing, it makes perfect sense why we don't see it anywhere in the OT, it's because there's no need for it at any time during the OT. Think of it, in both ANH and Empire the Rebels were on the defensive, so no need for a light troop transport there, they have a base to protect. In Jedi, while they do go on the offensive it's also a covert mission that required sneaking in in a stolen Imperial shuttle, there's no way they could have pulled off the Endor raid in a U-Wing given that it doesn't seem to be an Imperial ship.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back