Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

'

Reading your post, on paper, makes it sound great, and I wish I felt that, but I didnt feel anything for Jyn at all while watching the movie. Everything you just explained here, didnt feel a shred of that during the movie. I wish I did, cause it seems almost all of you loved the hell out of this movie. *shrug*

again, part of the problem is that we didn't really know enough about jynn...

yeah, she had a tragic child hood. but that alone doesn't shape a person too much.we jump from that right to imperial prison transport. as i recall, we don't even know why she's really there.

it all just came off as emotionless for some reason. it would have been nicer if they had less characters and focused mostly on jynn...

I checked out Rogue One again...

Three things stood out to me... they've probably been mentioned.

1. Why is everything so dark?

I don't mean "This is so dark, the loss... the fight... the deaths"... I mean "Why is every shot in shadow?"

Shots never looked like this:

View attachment 693899

Everyone would be standing in a dark room, with one single area lit up, causing harsh shadows everywhere else, making it hard to see what was going on.

View attachment 693900

If they were in the cargo bay of a ship, the door would be open, and a bright sunny day would be outside, but everyone would be standing in the shadows off to the side...

View attachment 693901

Every scene... half a persons face completely in shadow....

View attachment 693902

Bright light, dark everything else...

View attachment 693903

When they're running around on Jedha... everything is lit, except where the characters are running... they are always under a shadow....

One character in this Gif... but in shadow...

View attachment 693904

It's like taking a photo of your family in a dark room, in front of a large window to the outside... Good luck!

2. Wonabi... (Obi Wan?) - didn't pick up on that name...

3. "He has a friendly face"

View attachment 693915
*note the half in shadow face*

So the blind guy asks about Cassian Andor... and is told he has a friendly face...

What?!?!?

Was there a single moment this guy wasn't miserable and scowling... Now if he had said that about Han, you could buy it. Han was serious, and angry, but then he would smirk "Trust me!"

"Han has a friendly face..."

View attachment 693916

I could buy that... but this dude?

View attachment 693919

Do an image search... flip through his scowling, resting jerk face.

One thing I thought I heard... but can't find a script online... and since I can't find anyone else saying anything, I must have misheard... but when Cassian was talking to the rebel at the beginning about the pilot, did one of them say "A friend of Solo's...."?
Man we are seeing eye to eye on everything! How exciting! I thought the same exact thing! Everything was dark, and I was trying REALLY hard to focus on everything, like everything was cloaked in shadow. It was frustrating. Aside from a few scenes, the whole movie was dark. I mentioned it in one of my posts.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe because of his work on Rebels and because there are references to it in the movie? No idea honestly.
Ah. Im not familiar with rebels. When I see Simon Kinberg, everything goes red. Dude is one of the most annoying hipster hacks ever. I dont know how the hell he keeps getting work. And on such a scale! :facepalm

I thought the lighting was refreshingly realistic, a nice change from the crap we've seen in recent years. This was a gritty war movie, not film noir like Blade Runner.

A pourly lit gritty war movie.

The genre has nothing to do with the ability to light a character.

When they are running on Jedha during the destruction, there is light on everything except the characters. BAD choice.

I still dont see it as a gritty war movie. I know Ill get crap for it, but it just didnt feel that way. "Gritty" for a Star Wars movie? Yes. A gritty war movie though? No.

I still dont see it as a gritty war movie. I know Ill get crap for it, but it just didnt feel that way. "Gritty" for a Star Wars movie? Yes. A gritty war movie though? No.

Yeah, I was expecting a couple rebel troopers to get killed with random head shots or something, the way people were describing it. Definitely wasnt as gritty as Private Ryan.

There was no weight to any of the deaths... even the main characters.

With the exception of K-2SO (GREAT Character by the way... liked him a lot more round 2) all the characters did their task, and then just sat there waiting to die.

Asian Guy - pulls lever, smiles, dies

Guy who follows him with gun - Shoots a bunch of times... sees a grenade, smiles and dies.

Pilot - sees a grenade come into ship.... looks and dies.

Saw Gerrera - Stands... waits to die.

Jynn and Cassian - Sit and wait to die (not much choice at that point... but whatev)

There's no weight to a death when the character doesn't care about their life either.

And they didn't feel like a group with a bond.... It's interesting because if they had all survived, do ANY of you truly believe they would be a team after this?

Before this movie was the GOTG 2 trailer... now THOSE guys I believe would still hang out after the battle was done. Even in that first movie, I CARED when Groot sacrificed himself.

---

Oh and as a total aside... when Tarkin says to target the archive place at the end of the flick... why did they shoot so far off into the water that they had like 5 minutes to wait for the shock wave to hit it?

Maybe Stormtroopers aren't the only ones who miss.

Oh and as a total aside... when Tarkin says to target the archive place at the end of the flick... why did they shoot so far off into the water that they had like 5 minutes to wait for the shock wave to hit it?

You need to pay attention Neo......The Death Star blast destroys the dish at the top of the tower ( & Krennick).....continues on past the tower to hit in the distance.

Screen Shot 2016-12-17 at 20.10.44.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-17 at 20.10.54.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-17 at 20.11.05.pngScreen Shot 2016-12-17 at 20.11.25.png

J

With the exception of K-2SO (GREAT Character by the way... liked him a lot more round 2) all the characters did their task, and then just sat there waiting to die.

Guy who follows him with gun - Shoots a bunch of times... sees a grenade, smiles and dies.

Jynn and Cassian - Sit and wait to die (not much choice at that point... but whatev)

There's no weight to a death when the character doesn't care about their life either.

And they didn't feel like a group with a bond.... It's interesting because if they had all survived, do ANY of you truly believe they would be a team after this?

Before this movie was the GOTG 2 trailer... now THOSE guys I believe would still hang out after the battle was done. Even in that first movie, I CARED when Groot sacrificed himself.

---

Chiruitt's walking towards the lever chatting his mantra was very effective. He and Baz were Guardians of the Whills temple. Chiruitt never lost his faith in the Force while Baz, who was the most devout, did. Watching his friends sacrifice renewed his faith. It's contrived but still effective and a nice moment. Baz wipes out the Death Troopers, that's his contribution.

Bohdi, the pilot, was an Imperial pilot who Galen Erso flipped to the Rebellion by appealing to his sense of morality. He struggles through the film to try and commit to their cause and is clearly conflicted until the very end when he manages to organize his men and get the uplink working. He died completing that mission.

You need to pay attention Neo......The Death Star blast destroys the dish at the top of the tower ( & Krennick).....continues on past the tower to hit in the distance.

View attachment 694003View attachment 694002View attachment 694001View attachment 694000

J

Hmmm. Why would they hit just the tower at an angle, why not just hit the whole damn place?

OH RIGHT... to give us time for a sad sunset scene of explosive death.

I can't recall... what were Tarkin's order? destroy the dish?

Why would you use a laser that can destroy a planet to knick off a dish?

Chiruitt's walking towards the lever chatting his mantra was very effective. He and Baz were Guardians of the Whills temple. Chiruitt never lost his faith in the Force while Baz, who was the most devout, did. Watching his friends sacrifice renewed his faith. It's contrived but still effective and a nice moment. Baz wipes out the Death Troopers, that's his contribution.

Bohdi, the pilot, was an Imperial pilot who Galen Erso flipped to the Rebellion by appealing to his sense of morality. He struggles through the film to try and commit to their cause and is clearly conflicted until the very end when he manages to organize his men and get the uplink working. He died completing that mission.

No, I know what they did... but they still just did it, then stopped doing anything at all.

Hmmm. Why would they hit just the tower at an angle, why not just hit the whole damn place?

OH RIGHT... to give us time for a sad sunset scene of explosive death.

I can't recall... what were Tarkin's order? destroy the dish?

Why would you use a laser that can destroy a planet to knick off a dish?

Because it was on the horizon.......did you see the film?....Tarkin orders the destruction of the base

Screen Shot 2016-12-29 at 23.40.11.png

J

Then why did he shoot into the water, so far away? Was the base there? Why not just shoot right in the center of where everything was?

Okay these may seem like dumb questions... but I really don't get what I was looking at.

If a spider is sitting on my kitchen table, I'm going to throw my grenade at the table, not at the living room couch.

Sure I'll destroy everything anyway, but still....

---

You sound like a hoot at parties...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Then why did he shoot into the water, so far away? Was the base there? Why not just shoot right in the center of where everything was?

Okay these may seem like dumb questions... but I really don't get what I was looking at.

If a spider is sitting on my kitchen table, I'm going to throw my grenade at the table, not at the living room couch.

Sure I'll destroy everything anyway, but still....

J

Last edited by a moderator:
You sound like a hoot at parties...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hey I have been very positive and fair in my critiques, and am backing up my problems with this flick rather than just saying "Eh it sucked! Mary Sue! Rip off of ANH!"

These I believe are legitimate shortcomings of a muddled movie. I got teary in TFA over deaths and moments, but didn't feel anything here... and there's reason.

It's like I watched the movie RED STATE... spoiler... EVERYONE DIES. But holy crap, every single time someone went out it was shocking and stung. Cuz the deaths, though expected in a sense that I knew they were eventually coming, were unexpected by when and how they happened.

But yes, I am fun at parties, cuz I make WICKED margaritas.

Recipe below:

2 shots tequila
1 shot Triple Sec
1/4 can of frozen lime juice
table spoon or frozen orange juice
quarter of a lime (squeezed)

Thrown in a blender with a good amount of ice and blend til smooth.

You're welcome.

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back