Rocketeer Helmet not movie acurate

strengthof10men

This is my first build and also my first post. I love the Rocketeer movie and then the comic and have always wanted to own the helmet but could never afford to buy one. Frustration got to me and I decided I would just have to make my own. that’s how I discovered this website. I found a pep file and set to work. I have to confess I did this about six months ago and I can’t remember where I found the file.
I assembled the helmet but it was too big so I reduced it to 85%

View attachment 76624

View attachment 76625

View attachment 76626

I used car body filler and sanded it down. I repeated this until smooth. I then spray painted it and sanded that down to fill in all the scratches and pin holes.

View attachment 76630

I couldn’t figure out how to make the lenses so I went into town and bought a cheep pair of woman’s sunglasses. The kind with the huge lenses. I took the arms of and sawed through the bridge of the nose. I then turned them upside down. Cut the holes out of the helmet by drilling a hole where the eyes had to be then took the blade out of my saw and stuck it through the hole and sawed the openings out.

I took the lenses out of the frame and put them somewhere safe because I didn’t want to scratch them. Since the car body filler made the helmet rigid I could get the lenses back in. so I had to take a craft knife and scrap of some material until the popped back in.

View attachment 76630

View attachment 76631

View attachment 76632

I used masking tape to mark where I thought the raised lines should go.

View attachment 76636

Last edited:
I didn’t think that the helmet would be finished unless I had something to wear under it. So I searched the internet for weeks until I found an army and navy store that sold aviator caps. I could have got one sooner but all the other websites where in America and I live in England so the postage would have made the whole thing too expensive.

View attachment 76637

View attachment 76638

View attachment 76639

the helmet is finished and is now ready for me to waer. while stricking a dramatic pose

View attachment 76640

View attachment 76641

and just so my Dad doesnt feel left out he gets to have at go aswell, its only fair since he was the one who showed me how to do a lot of the work on this build.

View attachment 76642

beautiful pep. Hey, just a thought theres people that take a glue gun and go along the seams. Then paint over top of it to give the effect of welding. Just a suggestion.

That's fantastic!

I tend to look at things as having a natural duality (it's part of the reason I chose my username.)

Movie accuracy is great when that's what you're going for but sometimes stuff that people make that isn't necessarily intended to be screen-accurate is just as fantastic in my humble opinion.

Pieces like this just have a charm that I absolutely love (and I tend to obsess over Rocketeer helmets - both original castings and fan made pieces.)

If anything, I think it takes a heck of a lot of effort to pour that much time and effort into a replica like that - a lot more than in takes to order a kit and just slap some paint on it.

So, long story short, I think it's awesome and it shows just how much you appreciate the character.

i have what in my opinion is the best pepakura Rocketeer helmet file. It ia available from a RPF member's website propzone.com . The helmet scale needs to be reduced to 90 or 85 % in your printer settings.Check out my pepakura / rocketeer build by clicking on the facebook icon on my posts or my photo album on my profile page. Ther is also a pepakura file of the rocketeer jetpack available.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back