Rocketeer Cirrus X3- The Veepy Build

MTB

Sr Member
I wanted to share my progress on my Veepy build
(Thread here: https://www.therpf.com/forums/threads/rocketeer-“veepy”-jetpack-3d-printable-kit-project.331821/)

gnolivos did such a fantastic job on this and all for the community (he is making zero profit from this)! This is hands down the most accurate 3d printable X3 out there!

I have printed all but the upper engine and the right engine flap. I have the lower engine printing now and it should be done in about an hour and a half.

I printed everything on my Anycubic Predator printer. It will end up taking just over 3 rolls of filament. I like to use minimal supports, as you can see from the engine pic, so your results may very. I'm slicing with simplified 3D so I can place the supports where I want them.

I have started the best part of any 3d print....sanding! I tried to sand parts as others were printing to save time but kinda fell off it. I have decided on the colors yet but I will be airbrushing the whole thing. I don't think I'll add the electronics but I will be adding the fan and having it operational.

I will continue to update and as more progress is made.
PXL_20201228_184101675.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20201228_184109826.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20201228_184116021.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20201228_184122739.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20201228_184128592.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20201228_184135203.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20201228_184147406.jpg

what are your typical layer heights for the hull and tanks?

what print times were you getting?

i'm leaving these until last.

cheers

I apologize, I meant the radiator fins , but I will def print the smaller fins that way.

Fair warning, as the manual indicates, the radiator should best be printed on a resin printer. I believed we managed to fit every smaller part of this model in a $200 Mars Elegoo! The print quality is incredible.

Yeah, I figured as much when I went to orient it. I'm looking into mars here in the new year, so I'll just focus on the FDM parts I can print for now.

what are your typical layer heights for the hull and tanks?

what print times were you getting?

i'm leaving these until last.

cheers
I print everything at a .2 layer height and 10% infill. My speeds very, larger parts like the tanks at 100mm/s and the really small parts like the vents and the engine hose connectors 30mm/s

My longest print was the tanks as I printed them in one piece, they were 27 hours each. The hull was about 14 hours. I printed the hull in sperate pieces (as you can see in the pics) because the seams them make are really nice when they come together.
I apologize, I meant the radiator fins , but I will def print the smaller fins that way.
I print them like this. Just make sure your supports are running perpendicular to the part it's holding. You may have to rotate some parts to avoid this. That way the part will print across the supports not between them.
PhotoGrid_Plus_1609195339253.jpg
PXL_20201228_223516735.jpg

Round one of sanding! I tend to go overboard with the spot putty [emoji16] I'll sand 90% of it off. I'll give each price another round then shoot it with some primer.

Also I went to home depot and got most of the hardware. Just didn't get the hoses, I figured amazon would be cheaper.

I spent $28 on everything and I found this kitchen sink strainer that should work for the mesh in the hull. Best part is it was only $3!

Note:

For the rod that holds the radiator, depending on your wall thickness when you print, you may have to cut it just a bit longer. At the 194mm I was just barely able to get the nuts to thread. Adding about 1/4 of in inch would help. I'm just worried all the movent when wearing it would wiggle the nuts loose. And of course all the flying and spinning [emoji6]
PXL_20201230_003650769.jpg
PXL_20201230_005255877.jpg
PXL_20201230_005143088.jpg
PXL_20201230_005145618.jpg

Well done.

The 194mm should work. Hrmmm

The reason 194mm is stated, is because any longer than that and you won’t be able to remove the radiator in the future. So whatever length you cut it at make sure you test that you can slide the rod aside and pop the radiator out!

Round one of sanding! I tend to go overboard with the spot putty [emoji16] I'll sand 90% of it off. I'll give each price another round then shoot it with some primer.

Also I went to home depot and got most of the hardware. Just didn't get the hoses, I figured amazon would be cheaper.

I spent $28 on everything and I found this kitchen sink strainer that should work for the mesh in the hull. Best part is it was only $3!

Note:

For the rod that holds the radiator, depending on your wall thickness when you print, you may have to cut it just a bit longer. At the 194mm I was just barely able to get the nuts to thread. Adding about 1/4 of in inch would help. I'm just worried all the movent when wearing it would wiggle the nuts loose. And of course all the flying and spinning [emoji6]View attachment 1384057View attachment 1384058View attachment 1384059View attachment 1384060
TFS with us your build...and that strainer can be bought at the Dollar Store for $2.00 if my memory serves me well:D(y)

i found it really hard to find the braided hoses in the u.k. that size so i think i might try these cable shrouds, relatively cheap.

put some rubber tubing inside, job done after a lick of paint.

i found it really hard to find the braided hoses in the u.k. that size so i think i might try these cable shrouds, relatively cheap.

put some rubber tubing inside, job done after a lick of paint.

Did you manage to go through the read me file included in the zip? Many have missed it. It has some really good tips and links!

Did you manage to go through the read me file included in the zip? Many have missed it. It has some really good tips and links!
like a lot of stuff, the u.s. has a massive range of stuff we simply don't have in the u.k. or very difficult to find.

when we factor in shipping costs and possible customs fees its not worth it.

most of the hardware i will just have to make do with close enough metric.

the closest i could find for the hoses were motorcycle brake lines. as for size? who knows, they don't say.

I am really looking forward to this build and seeing how the progress goes for everyone. Once I get mine printed I will start a build thread to share.

Good luck!

like a lot of stuff, the u.s. has a massive range of stuff we simply don't have in the u.k. or very difficult to find.

when we factor in shipping costs and possible customs fees its not worth it.

most of the hardware i will just have to make do with close enough metric.

the closest i could find for the hoses were motorcycle brake lines. as for size? who knows, they don't say.
Might be worth for us uk guys listing what uk equivalent parts your getting I’ve not started mine yet but will in the next week or so (teer 4 lockdown) permitting

What kind of wall thickness are you guys using?
Let's start a new thread for build tips , parts, printer settings, anyone can submit what they like without hijacking threads.

edit...i started a thread here

Z

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back