Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Thanks Goldhawk! Bless you for your pateince with me...I'm a mess of questions these days. I found some crepe de chine at a local fabric shop in town the other day. So I'm going to try sewing some new pants. You mentioned a pattern you used. Was it the Kwik Sew one mentioned many pages ago? I use the simplicity Rey cosplay pattern previously. Thinking I might try something new. Like a pajama pant pattern and just add the cuff. I'm also looking at dye formulas again. Lord! Its like going back in a time machine. Really didn't want to be back at dyeing things again. But at least I know SO much more than I did before. :lol

@mbotastic, I used an overlock stitch on the ties, as I don't have a serger either. I used a scrap of silk and tried different stitch lengths until I found one that looked right. I finished the long edges, but left the short one unfinished so that it could fray a little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi everyone! I'm new to theRPF and I'm excited to start my Rey cosplay for the premier. Thank you SO MUCH for all your posts in this thread, it has been extremely helpful!

For Rey's pants, I found this sewing pattern (Kwik Sew 3835) in style B. I realize some of you got lucky and found some pants at Forever 21, but I'd really like to make my own out of silk. Opinions?

View attachment 531019

I used this pattern, using the one for the shorter pants. I made a mockup in t-shirt fabric to get the feel for the pattern while using minimally stretchy fabric. (The pattern actually calls for work-out fabric) The original pattern was too long when the cuffs were around my knees, so I took the cuffs off and started trimming the pants until they were the right length. I believe that I took off somewhere around 2 1/2 inches, but it will probably differ for your body type.
After making the pattern normally and doing those tweaks, I got some 'normal' fabric, i.e. not stretchy cotton, and made another mock-up. On this one I worked out the cuffs that I would use for the final pants, as well as the ties, stripes down the legs (official name is a strap seam) and the elastic waist. The original pattern uses a band of tighter work-out fabric for the waistband, but obviously this won't work for silk! I actually made two mock-ups at this stage to make sure that I had everything down and was comfortable putting it together.

Then I made it with the silk.
I hope this helps you! It was really easy to make the pants with this pattern, and many thanks to alifatality for saving me much trouble!

I used this pattern, using the one for the shorter pants. I made a mockup in t-shirt fabric to get the feel for the pattern while using minimally stretchy fabric. (The pattern actually calls for work-out fabric) The original pattern was too long when the cuffs were around my knees, so I took the cuffs off and started trimming the pants until they were the right length. I believe that I took off somewhere around 2 1/2 inches, but it will probably differ for your body type.
After making the pattern normally and doing those tweaks, I got some 'normal' fabric, i.e. not stretchy cotton, and made another mock-up. On this one I worked out the cuffs that I would use for the final pants, as well as the ties, stripes down the legs (official name is a strap seam) and the elastic waist. The original pattern uses a band of tighter work-out fabric for the waistband, but obviously this won't work for silk! I actually made two mock-ups at this stage to make sure that I had everything down and was comfortable putting it together.

Then I made it with the silk.
I hope this helps you! It was really easy to make the pants with this pattern, and many thanks to @alifatality for saving me much trouble!
Nice! Thank you. I got the pattern. I have some yards of cotton and I can use to mock it up. Good tip on the length. I'll keep an eye on that. Phew.

So grateful for this thread. It's like a big Rey database.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I remade my Jakku pants using the kwik sew pattern. It worked great! The pants are so much more comfortable and flattering. Phew! Thanks to everyone for the tips and encouragement. Very much recommend that pattern. I dyed the crepe de chine using the Dharma acid dye in sand dune. I've had luck with it before...but this time yeesh. Something went wrong. But I think I've demonstrated my inability to see colors like everyone else. So here are some pics. The first pic is it laid under my shirt and wraps. The second is side by side with my original pants and the third are the two held up in natural light. What do you all think? Is it an ok color? To...purple? orange? Red? Gosh I don't know anymore. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I've never submitted to the Rebel Legion but am thinking about it now so I extra want to get the color right. Thx!

20170905_073217.jpg20170905_073336.jpg20170905_074004.jpg

20170905_073217.jpg

20170905_073336.jpg

20170905_074004.jpg

I remade my Jakku pants using the kwik sew pattern. It worked great! The pants are so much more comfortable and flattering. Phew! Thanks to everyone for the tips and encouragement. Very much recommend that pattern. I dyed the crepe de chine using the Dharma acid dye in sand dune. I've had luck with it before...but this time yeesh. Something went wrong. But I think I've demonstrated my inability to see colors like everyone else. So here are some pics. The first pic is it laid under my shirt and wraps. The second is side by side with my original pants and the third are the two held up in natural light. What do you all think? Is it an ok color? To...purple? orange? Red? Gosh I don't know anymore. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I've never submitted to the Rebel Legion but am thinking about it now so I extra want to get the color right. Thx!

View attachment 756684View attachment 756685View attachment 756686

How does it look when you're wearing it outside? I've noticed that simply being indoors can alter a color.

How does it look when you're wearing it outside? I've noticed that simply being indoors can alter a color.

This. Rey is a brutal costume for colors. Such subtle changes between tan/khaki/grey. And lighting changes everything. I honestly think your colors aren't too bad there, but the slightest lighting change can change them. Experiment with this for Rebel Legion submitting photos if you do submit. It can help a lot.

This. Rey is a brutal costume for colors. Such subtle changes between tan/khaki/grey. And lighting changes everything. I honestly think your colors aren't too bad there, but the slightest lighting change can change them. Experiment with this for Rebel Legion submitting photos if you do submit. It can help a lot.
You know, for a scavenger Rey's wardrobe is really complicated. Smh.

Took them outside. They are a bit...pink...orange. meh. Lighting. I'm going to try and adjust then just a bit by putting them in a bath with a drop or two of Rit teal. I've had sine luck with that before.

After that... They could be bright orange for all I care! At the least the cuffs are real nice, the best I've made! Lol. [emoji39]

Side note: even though it's only referenced in the visual dictionary in one little picture and mentioned a bit in that silly book Rey's Survival Guide, I'm working on building Rey's tool pouch. Anyone what to work on it too? Probably going to involve a lot of make-believe. Hahaha.

You know, for a scavenger Rey's wardrobe is really complicated. Smh.

Took them outside. They are a bit...pink...orange. meh. Lighting. I'm going to try and adjust then just a bit by putting them in a bath with a drop or two of Rit teal. I've had sine luck with that before.

After that... They could be bright orange for all I care! At the least the cuffs are real nice, the best I've made! Lol. [emoji39]

Side note: even though it's only referenced in the visual dictionary in one little picture and mentioned a bit in that silly book Rey's Survival Guide, I'm working on building Rey's tool pouch. Anyone what to work on it too? Probably going to involve a lot of make-believe. Hahaha.

Do you have any pictures of it? I don't remember that one.
Hopefully the teal works to get your pants back on color!

Update for my costume: I finished the belt and the belt bag. The only thing I need is the ALICE clip, if anyone has one lying around....I also am experimenting with pleating the wrap. I tried wetting it down and twisting it up the way I've done for a couple of skirts I had previously, but it didn't put lasting pleats in it and seemed to actually stretch the fabric a little.
How did you all pleat your wraps?
I'm almost done with the basic costume, minus the boots and weathering.

Do you have any pictures of it? I don't remember that one.
Hopefully the teal works to get your pants back on color!

Update for my costume: I finished the belt and the belt bag. The only thing I need is the ALICE clip, if anyone has one lying around....I also am experimenting with pleating the wrap. I tried wetting it down and twisting it up the way I've done for a couple of skirts I had previously, but it didn't put lasting pleats in it and seemed to actually stretch the fabric a little.
How did you all pleat your wraps?
I'm almost done with the basic costume, minus the boots and weathering.
I have an Alice clip you can have! Just let me know where to send it. When I bought mine they came in packs of 15. So I've got a few.

I tracked my wrap to my shirt at the shoulders in three spots, rather then gather and stitch it on straight across. I like how it looks better. When I stitched it straight on it just looked very obviously gathered. Then I tracked it to a few spots under the belt. Then honestly just wearing the whole thing for a while (it's hot) pressed the pleats really nicely and in the right spots.

But I think I think @duckbegood had a successful method.

As for the tool kit, I have the picture in the visual dictionary and the description in the little book "Rey's Survival Guide", which names all the pieces. I started searching for them by name online. Some of them are catalogued in the Wookiepedia and other places. But only a few have pictures. I'm going to keep digging.

Found this visual of the backpack and bottle on the star wars visual encyclopedia 2017. I don't know if anyone have already posted it here, but anyway I hope this will help you if you want to make it :)

View attachment 761414 View attachment 761415
Nice close up of the bottom of the bag and the piece around the bottom water bottle. It's different then how I did mine. Looks like one piece with a cut out or something instead of a wrap and second webbing strap. Might have to do an update! Thank goodness. I'm tired of sewing and want to work on a prop! [emoji16]

Nice close up of the bottom of the bag and the piece around the bottom water bottle. It's different then how I did mine. Looks like one piece with a cut out or something instead of a wrap and second webbing strap. Might have to do an update! Thank goodness. I'm tired of sewing and want to work on a prop! [emoji16]

same here :lol I think I will modify mine too in time... this costume is endless

I *did* try the cutout on my first go... and not only did it not turn out looking very good, but it also didn't look too different than my current configuration of a separate web strap because one could only really see that detail if I pulled the bottom of the bag up. So ultimately I went with wrapping the bottle with web fabric and using a separate web strap on the end.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back