Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

I'm not finding the Bren or Enfield in tan with a swivel clip on Amazon or eBay. Where did you find them? I'm barely 5'4" so I thought the Enfield would be better, but every one I'm finding has a bungee type end or is from WWII and has no clips at the end.
I found them on ebay for USD18 delivered - Item # 111345927272

Thanks for this, I didn't have a leather shop nearby but a friend suggested a saddlery, they were really helpful and even cut the leather for me free of charge!

Nice.

I live in the central valley, smack in the middle of the biggest agricultural place on earth and there are no leather suppliers around.:facepalm
The closest leather place I know of is in Clovis.
If I order on line I usually get it next day from that store.

IMG_1422.JPGProgress! I finished sewing the shirt and has enough fabric left over to give the wrap a try. I played a little with dyes, I think it may be a little on the grey side. The arm wraps and belt are just stand ins until I do something better, probably my next project.:) I'm so excited!

Attachments

• IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    418.7 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_1422.JPG
    IMG_1422.JPG
    419.3 KB · Views: 90
I bought the same one. To weather, just dunk it in water and hang it outside in direct sunlight. Just keep repeating this process. The green fades to a light tan over time. Natural weathering, and it costs nada. I just need to modify the size and add the clip.

Ok! I knew someone posted somewhere about the Target belts and finally found the comment. I bought two of the darker brown belts they sell, one in Large and one in XL to get the loop effect but how did you hold everything together? I am so new to this leather stuff.

Also, does anyone have more detailed patterns to use for Rey's tunic? I have the wrap and arm wraps down but the tunic is where I am struggling.

As for the pants, Walmart (of all places) has soft loose pants in the correct color that can be adjusted to be knee height. Only $14.

Last edited:
Could someone point me to a tutorial (or make a picture tutorial) on how to make Reys Head wraps. I know its supposed to be made from a long sleeved shirt, but i have trouble understanding on how you wrap it around your head and still be able to look out from it.
I wanna make Reys costume, and because I'm a guy (with a beard) I would want that look that hides the face under the wraps and goggles. It's kinda odd to wanna make a "girl" costume, but it a really nice costume and not just feminine.

I started to used Simplicity #1461 for my tunic but found it to be too complicated for such a simple piece so I just took apart one of my ladies cut tshirts and used it as a pattern. I added length to the bottom and cut the slit in the high collar. It worked out well and was WAY easier than the pattern I had.

Could someone point me to a tutorial (or make a picture tutorial) on how to make Reys Head wraps. I know its supposed to be made from a long sleeved shirt, but i have trouble understanding on how you wrap it around your head and still be able to look out from it.
I wanna make Reys costume, and because I'm a guy (with a beard) I would want that look that hides the face under the wraps and goggles. It's kinda odd to wanna make a "girl" costume, but it a really nice costume and not just feminine.

It's not odd. Women do male costumes often enough, and the other way happens, too. It's just society selling you that BS and giving you a harder time about it since you're a guy.

Silly, and unfair, but true...and bogus. You be you!

P.S.-when I did my Mad Max, I also had planned on the head wrap from the beginning of the film (did a Fury Road version), so that I wouldn't have to do faux facial hair because ugh, but in the end, I just crossplayed it straight up. Just got my hair really wild and dirty and dirtied up my face. If I was doing Rey as a male, though, I'd go the goggles and wrap route, like you said. Good luck!

Can anyone suggest a mini/ keychain flashlight to use for the goggles? I found a couple that look ok, but the size seems a little off. Someone had mentioned one from a dollar store, but i cant find the post now.

Can anyone suggest a mini/ keychain flashlight to use for the goggles? I found a couple that look ok, but the size seems a little off. Someone had mentioned one from a dollar store, but i cant find the post now.

Maybe a cheap Laserpointer with a added LED instead?

Hello, I'm new to this forum, but I discovered you while researching the Rey costume to make it for my 6 year old granddaughter. Next week I am entering a children's internet sewing contest challenge. The challenge is CosPlay, and I am creating an everyday outfit for a child from Jakku that is inspired by Rey from Star Wars. I thought you might enjoy seeing the Locator and Messenger Rusksack Bag that is one part of my completed outfit.backpack2.jpgbackpack1.jpg
So, this Locator and Messenger Bag was designed to keep children safe by allowing them to communicate with their parents, and the other children with them, while scavenging for parts. On the side of the bag, locator panels have been encased into the pocket. These locator panels help the children find valuable parts and test the part to see if it worth salvaging because it still works.[/h]Yes, this is all from my mind, and not the movie. The challenge is to be inspired by Rey, and not to make the exact costume. Check out my first blog post about the outfit if you have any interest. http://sewmuchtogive.blogspot.com/2016/02/reywear-locator-and-messenger-rusksack.html
Thanks for all your help as I thought through my design.

backpack1.jpg

backpack2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly the fabric has been discontinued, and they aren't going to have any more of it.
The search continues...
:(
I think i've found the perfect wrap dress fabric. I've been ordering samples for weeks now and this is the only thing I'm really happy with. Even the Dharma fabric I found a little disappointing, i found it a bit stiff (like it wouldn't drape well).

After looking around at all the fancy fabric stores in the end ebay turned out to be a great place! I ordered a few samples and thought maybe the fabric was a bit too dark but I went ahead anyway and ordered it and it's fab!

It is a viscose with a slight crinkle, which is perfect! It drapes so beautifully and it is pretty much the perfect colour already. I just need to age and weather it slightly. Also the crinkle goes in the direction of the selvedge so it's perfect for the wrap dress.

They're currently out of stock as I got the last of it but i'm sure it'll be back in stock soon if anyone is interested.

Colour 95 sandstorm

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170984016...49&var=470232876988&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

View attachment 583438

- just a note that it is slightly darker than in this picture

What exact materials are you all using to make the goggles? I have the accurate lenses and I intend to use worbla as a base for the frame, but I have no idea what to wrap them in to get that accurate look.

Thanks,
JJ

I say go for it. Personally I find it interesting to see either a gender-swapped character (like the many Fem!Spocks) or crosplay. And, as has been said, it's very common to see girls doing guy costumes, but the other way is rare, and often done semi-jokingly.
With Rey I think we have a strong female character that everyone can identify with, and the masked version of the costume is the perfect opportunity for removing gender as a factor. The costumer's doesn't matter, and Rey's isn't the most important thing about her (however she's still a good role model for kids to see that 'the girl' doesn't just have to be the 'damsel in distress')
You're doing a character you like/identify with, and that's all the reason you need. I'd love to see a world where it doesn't matter where on the gender spectrum the costumer or the character identifies.

I believe a friend made a tutorial for my GF back in December, I may still have the video on my phone if you'd like me to upload it to Youtube for you?

What exact materials are you all using to make the goggles? I have the accurate lenses and I intend to use worbla as a base for the frame, but I have no idea what to wrap them in to get that accurate look.

Thanks,
JJ
White leather face, grey wool felt, grey leather (or possibly rubber), reddish brown cloth (same stuff used for the left shoulder plate)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back