Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Finished up our head wrap this past week with the help of a sew-savvy friend :)

Still loads of work to be done, but we are very happy with the way the costume is coming together

2016-08-28.jpg

I have a question for those of you that made your own Rey pouch. I made mine but it's all flimsy and doesn't hold it's shape when I'm wearing it. What did you guys do to make it keep it's shape?!?

What did you guys do to make it keep it's shape?!?

In similar situations I have either stuffed the pouch with some type of filler or made an interior frame (i.e. cardboard, foam, wire, etc.) which matched the shape I wanted to maintain. I prefer an interior frame as it allows the pouch to still be used to hold other convention essentials.

In similar situations I have either stuffed the pouch with some type of filler or made an interior frame (i.e. cardboard, foam, wire, etc.) which matched the shape I wanted to maintain. I prefer an interior frame as it allows the pouch to still be used to hold other convention essentials.

This. I currently keep my old arm wraps in there to keep the shape, along with a roll of emergency duct tape (white for 501st repairs). Works great. But a frame is in the ideas stage.

I bought and had a friend print the 3d files of the staff. I've sanded painted and distressed it, but I am stuff on a few parts.
Firstly did you guys clear coat your staff, and if so did you use a satin? I worried If I use a matte clear coat it will greatly mute
the paint job and color. Secondly how did you attach the cloth wrappings. Thirdly I have two of the proper riffle straps, but where
do they need cut and sewn together. Any help would be appreciated.

I personally used matte on mine, but I guess it's a matter of preference. Nothing to attach the wraps, just tied mine and they never move. You just cut about 15" or so off the end of one of the slings.

Check out these helpful videos from someone on here, I think they will explain what you need to know about the sling:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC9qZnlHmvn4arsb00gCouFQ/videos

Thanks. His videos will help. Did your staff get very muted and grey when you used matte clear? Mine
did. I had to repaint it.

I cut one of the slings in half and left the other one full length. I then butted the end of the whole one and one of the halves and whip-stiched them together. BTW, do NOT overlap them;)
The other sling half is used as the side water bottle holder on the backpack.
Good luck!

Thanks. His videos will help. Did your staff get very muted and grey when you used matte clear? Mine
did. I had to repaint it.

i did a rusty finish on it not the dark blackish that is SA and i put it on thin. A shine on it would not seem right to me. What are you using? I like testors dullcoat.

pics of it (with the testors on) are at
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237501&page=24&p=3797170&viewfull=1#post3797170

it's a scratch one i did last year, not a 3d print.

Last edited:
i did a rusty finish on it not the dark blackish that is SA and i put it on thin. A shine on it would not seem right to me. What are you using? I like testors dullcoat.

pics of it (with the testors on) are at
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=237501&page=24&p=3797170&viewfull=1#post3797170

it's a scratch one i did last year, not a 3d print.

I used rustolium black texture spray paint. Then I used black, brown, and orange folk art acrylic
paint mixes to get the black/brown/rusty look. Lastly I used rusolium matte clear coat, but it turned
everything into a wash grey with only a hint of the rust. So I had to restart the folk art distressing all over.
I'm finished now I am not sure what to clear it with. There is more rust than the photos show.
IMG_0330.JPGIMG_0331.JPG

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Dont know why it would do that. Could be too thick. You could try testors or another brand, put it on real thin and try a test piece first. I have seen some of the clears get a frosty look when they get applied too heavy.

OK, I think I got it covered. I think the last time it was to humid and too thick. I put a really thin coat on and it just barely
faded the color. I'm happy with it. Now I just have to wait for the post tomorrow to deliver the two riffle straps. I also still
have to decide what I'm doing with the wraps.

14247593_1300810286597912_1612648763_o.jpg14248124_1300810233264584_389820710_o.jpg14285391_1300810153264592_937814979_o.jpg
Hi everyone!
So far it's been a slow process of collecting supplies etc for this costume but I finally put together my staff. I'm pretty happy with it as it's my first attempt at a costume prop and like the way the weathering turned out. Only problem is that I can't seem to get all the pieces to stay together. For people who made their own staff from pvc pipe and assorted household pieces, what sort of glue did you use to keep it together?? I've tried out a few "heavy duty" glues from bunnings with no real luck so far.
(This is a before and after I knocked it over and everything fell apart :facepalm)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back