Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Hi Everybody,

I'm building out a Rey costume for my Daughter, She turns 8 in a week. We're going scavenger+ (which is what I am calling Full Scavenger Rey with lightsaber and gun).

I have the Staff pieces from JJ's run, a 3d print of the gun from Braytak that I have to smooth out and put together, and kristen jones's goggles.

So, On the soft parts, which I don't know anything about.... We are getting her the Disney Store costume for now, for Halloween, but if she goes full Cosplay with this, which she very well could, I'd love for us to put the rest together with actual fabric. I think the above mentioned Gauze looks brilliant. Is there anyone making costumes or pattern for Rey scavenger and beyond?

Thanks,
Brian

well the head wrap is basically just a shirt with extra long sleeves. The "neck" opening becomes the flap over your face. I did taper mine in at the top to eliminate some of the neck area bulk on it and there is a pic of it I posted a few months back in this thread. You don't really need a pattern for it if you just look at the shape, plus you will want to size it to the wearer anyway, so the shoulder area does not end up too big or too small.

I think someone might have had posted a pattern for the backpack pieces, but I used that amazon messenger bag Kristen found. If you use that and cut it down, it's going to save you a ton of stitching vs making one from scratch.

...head wrap pic for you.

rey-costume-head-wrap.jpg rey-googles-head-wrap.jpg

and here's a couple of the backpack, not sure if I put these up before or not.

rey-costume-back.jpg rey-costume-side.jpg

Last edited:
Update time!
I'm almost done with my shirt mockup, actually I would be done and working on the final one buuuut...... I mis-cut the armholes when I made the pattern. So it's off to the store tomorrow to buy more fabric and re-cut the armholes. Shouldn't be too much work, right?
So the shirt is almost done, the pants mock-up done (just saving up for the silk) the wrap dress done, and belt pouch just needing hardware. I'm feeling pretty happy for my first ever cosplay.

Tea, what weight leather did you use for the bracer? I've had trouble finding a leather I like.

I actually used 1/8" hide, but ran a sharp blade at an angle along the inside edge to thin it up around the edges. When we were happy with the shape/color, we wet it and formed it around he wrist (she wore it for the day while it dried :D)

I actually used 1/8" hide, but ran a sharp blade at an angle along the inside edge to thin it up around the edges. When we were happy with the shape/color, we wet it and formed it around he wrist (she wore it for the day while it dried :D)
Ok, thanks! Did you glue two pieces together? Or was there a hidden splice?

Ok, thanks! Did you glue two pieces together? Or was there a hidden splice?

I sewed two parts together with wax thread and added a snap just in case (which may not be necessary) . I used the same leather hide for both parts, I just treated them differently.

2016-08-17_b.jpg
2016-08-17_a.jpg

Hey all, I'm a bit late to the party but I have been lurking in this thread for a few months. I'm working on a full scavenger Rey for my wife to go along with our BB-8 build, and we are making a fair bit of progress lately.

I found some British medical gauze I was very happy with, it just arrived today (still needs to be dyed) and it looks very, very close to the original to me. They were VERY reasonably priced and shipping from the UK was cheap. I only paid $14 total to have 12 of them delivered to Washington state. I found them here on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/171971514065?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=470860811102

We also have some extra pairs if they vanish, or if anyone wants them!

[url]http://www.mr-tea.com/images/rey/2016-08-11_e_tn.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://www.mr-tea.com/images/rey/2016-08-11_d_tn.jpg[/URL]

I've just finished our Goggles today as well, I am extremely happy with how they turned out, and I managed to get the accurate light 3D Print to switch on by twisting the back. I didn't take many progress photos, but I'm happy to answer any questions about them should anyone be curious.

[url]http://www.mr-tea.com/images/rey/2016-08-11_a_tn.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://www.mr-tea.com/images/rey/2016-08-11_b_tn.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://www.mr-tea.com/images/rey/2016-08-11_c_tn.jpg[/URL]

Anyway, hoping to contribute what I can to this awesome thread.

That looks awesome \m/

Hello! I have a question for those good with fabrics.

I have cut and dyed the fabric I am going to use for the wrap dress and gauze wraps. This is pretty much my first time handling fabric so I followed any directions I could get my hands on, from the internet. I cut what I needed, washed the fabric, while it was still wet i dyed it ( the directions for this said to agitate the fabric while dyeing, so I did that as best I could by hand). By the time we got to the stage where you'd rinse and rewash the fabric, the cut ends were fraying. Paranoid, I took the long road and rewashed by hand, and let it air dry. However, the pic below you see is the final result.

What can I do to prevent this from worsening during wear, and how can I prevent this from happening during the wash/dye/dry process in the future???

P.S. I am intentionally doing a grey-variety of the Rey cosplay, don't worry, I'm not color blind! IMG_20160821_175612.jpg

@SmokinBirdie425, Since you indicate you are new to using fabric I will try to provide a little broader set of information to answer your question. Some of this may guide you to more on-line research and also help you understand some of the terms you will come across and why they are important.

When you cut fabric you often need to "finish" the edges so the weaving does not come undone or fray apart. Each time a thread is cut there are two ends which now have less support and can begin to fray. If the cut is along the direction of the weave of the fabric you can minimize the number of threads which are cut in that direction. That is why the layout and alignment of the pattern can be important. Curve cuts and cuts at an angle ("on the bias") cut more threads and make the management of these threads more important. This is not just an issue of looking more tidy, but it can also affect the fit. The cuts can allow the piece to stretch more easily and get out of shape. (When this happens what was meant to be a curve becomes a wider straight line. This is where you will see patterns talk about "stay-stitching" at spots like neck and waist lines to help things keep their intended shape. Stay-stitching is one type of edge treatment.)

Often edge finishing is taken care of when pieces are sewn or seamed together. The line of stitches in the seam hold the threads of the weave together. This is why you sometimes adjust the length of your stitches as the type of fabric changes. Thinner, finer fabric may require a finer, smaller stitch length in order to help support the weave . You will notice that the cut edges of the seam can still fray but since these are inside the garment that may not be a problem. However sometime even the inside needs to appear tidy so the edges need to be finished. There are several ways of doing this which you can research on the internet by searching "fabric edge finishing". This can be as simple as running a line of straight or zigzag stitches along the edge (which is probably all you need to do with your current project), or turning the fabric back on itself and making a narrow hem (which is slightly more difficult. However if you go with the hemmed approach you will learn that an iron is as important a tool as the sewing machine. Make your hem and press it to hold its shape. This will allow you to address the width of the hem, keep it accurate and also help keep it in position when you stitch.)

Conversely some times a frayed edge is exactly what you or a designer may want. In this case you run your stitches or seam away from the edge (a little or a lot) and then encourage the fabric to fray using some of the techniques you have already discovered. The fraying will typically stop once the stitch line or seam is encountered.

Another finishing method you might be able to use in the future when you have a garment or piece with a long straight edge is to use the selvage edge of the fabric itself. When the fabric is produced the long edges of the fabric are made precisely so they will not fray. This may use different types of thread or a larger number of threads closer together to make a denser, stronger weave at these edges. Using this edge, as is, will eliminate the need for finishing. However, this may not work in all situations as you will notice this is a stiffer, less flexible, and sometimes more coarse part of the fabric and may also look different than the main weave. It is more often the case you want to avoid the selvage edge than you want to use it as other edge treatments can solve the fraying without the other issues the selvage may bring.
I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi ladies and gents, longtime reader of this forum and I have to say everyone is so incredibly amazing on it. Your costumes are all so wonderful. My eventual goal is to have a full scavenger Rey. I actually just got my staff (unpainted) and I am so excited to get started on that part of the project. I'll probably be cruising through the hundreds of posts looking for everyone's scavenger Rey backpack and cannister posts for ideas and inspiration! :D

I actually have some new crinkle viscose from the UK, that I'll be eventually dyeing and prepping for a new wrap dress. Just to note, I just recently got a graflex! I am actually hoping to convert it soon, so it can be used for stunt fighting/stage combat. My lightsaber pictured below is for the stage combat group I belong to, Jedi Saber Combat.

Here is my Rey as she stands now!

Group Shot.jpgMe Solo Majestic.jpgRey Front Close up.jpgRey Solo Shot.jpgMini Reys.jpgRey Left Side Close Up.jpgRey Pants Bottom.jpg

Hey, I just wanted to thank everyone here for all the hard work that you do. I recently made myself a copy of Rey's staff (seen here: http://imgur.com/gallery/GlTq8) and it wouldn't have been possible without this incredible community.

As a thank you, I'd like to give out the 3D model that I made so that anyone could print themselves a copy. Is there a best practice for doing this, other than just uploading it to Thingiverse?

smithjohnj Thank you very much! I shall be trying the zigzag approach for this project and will be sure to show everyone the results once the project is finished. You have been a great help and I can't tell you how much I appreciate it.

How did you do your sleeve? All the ones I've seen have been expensive ones for lymphedema or ones that are too colorful. That one looks perfect.

I bought this compression sleeve : https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Women...&sr=1-3&keywords=sub+sport+compression+sleeve and darkened it with black acrylic paint (I applied it with a sponge and water). If you want to purchase it, I highly suggest that you select the size over yours, because the sleeve are really tight and it will be painful to wear it. My sleeves were a bit too long, so I've cut the excess of fabric near the wrist, and now it fit perfect !

Last edited:
I bought this compression sleeve : https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Women...&sr=1-3&keywords=sub+sport+compression+sleeve and darkened it with black acrylic paint (I applied it with a sponge and water). If you want to purchase it, I highly suggest that you select the size over yours, because the sleeve are really tight and it will be painful to wear it. My sleeves were a bit too long, so I've cut the excess of fabric near the wrist, and now it fit perfect !

I got an inexpensive one from Academy. They're in the basketball section.

Hi ladies and gents, longtime reader of this forum and I have to say everyone is so incredibly amazing on it. Your costumes are all so wonderful. My eventual goal is to have a full scavenger Rey. I actually just got my staff (unpainted) and I am so excited to get started on that part of the project. I'll probably be cruising through the hundreds of posts looking for everyone's scavenger Rey backpack and cannister posts for ideas and inspiration! :D

I actually have some new crinkle viscose from the UK, that I'll be eventually dyeing and prepping for a new wrap dress. Just to note, I just recently got a graflex! I am actually hoping to convert it soon, so it can be used for stunt fighting/stage combat. My lightsaber pictured below is for the stage combat group I belong to, Jedi Saber Combat.

Here is my Rey as she stands now!

View attachment 657130View attachment 657131View attachment 657132View attachment 657133View attachment 657135View attachment 657136View attachment 657137

Howdy, Livvie! Nice to see you here :)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back