Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

Okay, so I have been following this thread for a really long time and you guys are all so amazing and this is one of the best build threads and mini-communities I've found on here!
I was nervous to post my progress pics but I am getting really excited about where I am at with the costume so here it goes!
I still have to do the sleeves, attach the signals bag to the belt, paint the blaster, and style the wig but I feel like I can relax a bit now that the patterning, dyeing, and sewing is done. I definitely found the dyeing part to be the most challenging. There are many (MANY) stray dye tests still scattered about my work area. I made everything from scratch (except for the signals bag and Po-Zu boots of course) and this was a very good learning experience for me. This costume seems so simple at first but man, are there a lot of parts that my obsessive nature wants to get right! :) These pics are the best quality but you get the idea!
View attachment 603509View attachment 603510View attachment 603511View attachment 603512

Looks very VERY good so far! WELL DONE!

Now just need a bit of weathering/distressing done to the clothes and the belt and you'll be finished!

Good Show! :D

About to sacrifice a TK faceshell to the TFA gods...View attachment 603658

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not bad. I would probably bring the "wings" more straight back than tapering so much (where you've drawn on the bungee clips).

Also, maybe allow a little more material to stay under the eyes(you can always trim more later) because you're going to want to round out the lower inner corners of the eyes, and also round the very bottoms of the eyes some to get the right look, and you don't want it to end up too thin after.

also round down on the top in between the eyes a bit.

Good Luck! :)

Last edited:
Looks very VERY good so far! WELL DONE!

Now just need a bit of weathering/distressing done to the clothes and the belt and you'll be finished!

Good Show! :D

Thank you very much! The weathering and general beating up of the clothes is my favorite part of any costume process so I am looking forward to that :3 I need to get better pics of the belt, though, because when I stained it the stain came out all streaky/blotchy which actually work really well in this case. I despaired at first but now am quite pleased, however, the pictures definitely don't do it justice.
Also, thank you for all of the tips! Your posts about dyeing and the progress pics of your signals bag helped a lot. You have some great RPF/cosplay karma coming your way I am sure :D

Not bad. I would probably bring the "wings" more straight back than tapering so much (where you've drawn on the bungee clips).

Also, maybe allow a little more material to stay under the eyes(you can always trim more later) because you're going to want to round out the lower inner corners of the eyes, and also round the very bottoms of the eyes some to get the right look, and you don't want it to end up too thin after.

also round down on the top in between the eyes a bit.

Good Luck! :)
I was thinking all of that! Minus the tapering back, i noticed the spot between the eyes after drawing on it...Still trying to figure out what to use for the rubber flaps that they have behind everything....about to go searching for some rubber....maybe some eva foam? Thanks for the advice once again

Thank you very much! The weathering and general beating up of the clothes is my favorite part of any costume process so I am looking forward to that :3 I need to get better pics of the belt, though, because when I stained it the stain came out all streaky/blotchy which actually work really well in this case. I despaired at first but now am quite pleased, however, the pictures definitely don't do it justice.
Also, thank you for all of the tips! Your posts about dyeing and the progress pics of your signals bag helped a lot. You have some great RPF/cosplay karma coming your way I am sure :D

Thank you!

One thing that you can do to the belt to help bring out the texture of the leather--and to accent the variations in a positive way--is to rub in some pure neats foot oil. go heavy on the edges and you will have that look that Rey's belt has where it's darker on the edges and fades out toward the middle.

Thank you!

One thing that you can do to the belt to help bring out the texture of the leather--and to accent the variations in a positive way--is to rub in some pure neats foot oil. go heavy on the edges and you will have that look that Rey's belt has where it's darker on the edges and fades out toward the middle.

Ooh thank you, I shall definitely try that!

I was thinking all of that! Minus the tapering back, i noticed the spot between the eyes after drawing on it...Still trying to figure out what to use for the rubber flaps that they have behind everything....about to go searching for some rubber....maybe some eva foam? Thanks for the advice once again
I used crafting foam. It comes in several thicknesses, and I used the stuff that is about 1/4" thick, grey. I cut out a piece that backs the complete reverse of the goggles, and also included the four "tabs" which wrap over the top. I just hot glued it in place, and weathered it. :D

here's what my faceplate looked like on initial trimming:

12782301_10208228083436103_2012513337_n.jpg

I *did* trim down the top center (as I noted earlier) after this pic was taken. Also i obviously did my eye trimming after. But this gives you an idea how much material I left intact to build on.

Hi all. I haven't checked this thread in about a month or so, since finishing my daughter Ally's Rey costume. She is 13. I'm a TK in the 501st. She has been having a lot of fun trooping with me. Thanks everyone for contributing to this build thread. It was inspiring and instrumental for me to create this costume. Anyway, here are some fun photos...

12783527_1263341977009593_5461239964721830800_o.jpg
12671806_1258974840779640_2374115421501470088_o.jpg
12764730_1263344023676055_4829968040115006817_o.jpg
12772091_1263341013676356_5492019366131503100_o.jpg

Scott Bleisath
TK-44140

Finished the pants and attached the threads going down the legs. Gonna go over everything when it i have made all the pieces, reinforce the stitches and trim them a little bit. The head wrap-shirt needs to be shorter and have thinner "arms"
Not bad for a 3 days work.
With the mask,gloves and armwraps the only thing that is going to show that im not a girl is my hairy legs :p
https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1651/25809930415_46ebee00ca_o.jpg

You could shave! Or, you know, think of it as accurate, because no way a desert dwelling scavenger has time for that. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

Been away for a while/had to put the costume up for a bit, but I'm back now. Caught up on the thread and everyone is looking great!

Cool stuff man this is making me want to go cosplay I can't wait till wonderfest wont be long. You Guys are GREAT!!! really liking this thread. Thanks....Jim

Well got some progress on the goggles and then I couldn't find my leather thread...rather then search my storage unit where it likely is I ordered some so time to wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone, I'm new to posting in this thread and have enjoyed reading and seeing a lot of your progress updates! I am working on a build (not full scavenger) but have a few questions I was wondering if you all could help with. If you'd like I can post some progress pictures later tonight when I'm at home!

-What is the best way to attach the wrap dress so that it doesn't slide around/bunch up in weird places? Do you recommend sewing around the waist where the belt would cover to keep the wraps in the right spot? Also, what technique did you use to attach to the top of the shoulders?

-What are some good weathering techniques for both the clothes and the waist bag? Would very quick/far away sprays with brown spray pain work?

spray paint dusting will work, but I usually prefer to use watered down acrylic paint applied with a sponge so I can control the color and application better.

-What is the best way to attach the wrap dress so that it doesn't slide around/bunch up in weird places? Do you recommend sewing around the waist where the belt would cover to keep the wraps in the right spot? Also, what technique did you use to attach to the top of the shoulders?
I gathered the wrap dress at each shoulder, and then attached velcro to the undersides of the gathers. I also put velcro on the shoulders of my tunic to match this. i didn't sew at the waist. Instead, i affixed the hook velcro to the backside of my belt...that holds everything in place quite well.
-What are some good weathering techniques for both the clothes and the waist bag? Would very quick/far away sprays with brown spray pain work?
I used brown acrylic poster paint and dry brushed it onto the pouch VERY SPARINGLY. I did also use the distance spray paint method to weather the clothes.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back