Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

I made my shirt a couple of days ago and forgot to post about it here. I used the frequently recommended Jalie 2910 pattern and it was a snap. I agree with all the others on this thread and confirm this pattern is exactly what you need for the shirt. Also very simple to put together. I used a yard of a cream-colored medium-weight jersey I picked up at Joann's which was perfect because it didn't roll and was just heavy enough to layer and lay nicely.

The whole thing took less than an hour to complete, although I still need to finish my edges and need to take a second look at the Blu-Ray to figure out the best stitch for this. Any ideas? It looks sort-of-serged, maybe with three threads instead of four? More blanket stitching? Just a simple zig-zag? Not sure. What did others use?

IMG_20170101_011301.jpg

Also a note for anyone following this pattern, make sure you reverse the instructions (and the confusingly incorrectly written Rebel Legion standards) and make sure you have YOUR RIGHT overlapping YOUR LEFT, as it was onscreen. To someone facing you, it will look left over right, if that makes sense.

IMG_20170101_011301.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Happy new year everyone!

We finally have a decent day of sun breaks in Seattle. :) so I took pictures of my vest. Pants next!

SEATTLE COSPLAY REY RESISTANCE COSPLAY JACKET BACK SM.jpgSEATTLE COSPLAY REY RESISTANCE COSPLAY JACKET collar dtl.jpgSEATTLE COSPLAY REY RESISTANCE COSPLAY JACKET SIDE BACK.jpg

Attachments

• SEATTLE COSPLAY REY RESISTANCE COSPLAY JACKET MAIN.jpg
    SEATTLE COSPLAY REY RESISTANCE COSPLAY JACKET MAIN.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 118
  • SEATTLE COSPLAY REY RESISTANCE COSPLAY JACKET MAIN.jpg
    SEATTLE COSPLAY REY RESISTANCE COSPLAY JACKET MAIN.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Happy new year everyone!

We finally have a decent day of sun breaks in Seattle. :) so I took pictures of my vest. Pants next!

This looks fantastic!!! Your stitching is spot-on, very impressed with the shoulder pads and your princess seams are killer. So inspiring! I can't wait to see the finished costume!

awwwww you guys! Thank you! <3 I enjoy sharing and you guys are certainly an inspiration.

I get a ton of practice sewing and making patterns for McCall. I edited one of the photo to eliminate the front two darts, hope that didn't confuse anyone. Future makes will not have it, so I edited it out for my Etsy listings. :)

awwwww you guys! Thank you! <3 I enjoy sharing and you guys are certainly an inspiration.

I get a ton of practice sewing and making patterns for McCall. I edited one of the photo to eliminate the front two darts, hope that didn't confuse anyone. Future makes will not have it, so I edited it out for my Etsy listings. :)

Ohhh I just checked out your shop and I am loving that Luke Skywalker ceremonial jacket, that's always been a dream build for me, nice job!

Well I did it, I finished this thing by the end of the weekend. I put off putting on the shoulder pads until the absolute last because I was so scared of doing it wrong. And I did begin with a wrong move, which was to first try to quilt the pads to the fabric, thinking that would result in a more unified effect. This was a terrible idea I abandoned halfway through the first ridge, and I had no idea what I was thinking. Shoulder pads should be quilted first, then attached. The shape is just too weird to make those turns in my sewing machine smoothly, just attaching them was enough of a trick without also trying to quilt them that way too!

IMG_20170102_105708.jpg

On to the next build! Jyn Erso, you're next!!

Last edited:
Well I did it, I finished this thing by the end of the weekend. I put off putting on the shoulder pads until the absolute last because I was so scared of doing it wrong. And I did begin with a wrong move, which was to first try to quilt the pads to the fabric, thinking that would result in a more unified effect. This was a terrible idea I abandoned halfway through the first ridge, and I had no idea what I was thinking. Shoulder pads should be quilted first, then attached. The shape is just too weird to make those turns in my sewing machine smoothly, just attaching them was enough of a trick without also trying to quilt them that way too!

View attachment 695056

On to the next build! Jyn Erso, you're next!!

Looks great!!! I feel your pain with attaching the shoulder pads. For the first couple of versions I did, I quilted the pads directly to the vest and it was a nightmare!

Very off topic but Resistance Rey merch is few and far between. There is a store at Disney Springs called Stance. It's a sock store. They have a pair of Resistance Rey socks. I grabbed a set for me and my wife. They are so cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Very off topic but Resistance Rey merch is few and far between. There is a store at Disney Springs called Stance. It's a sock store. They have a pair of Resistance Rey socks. I grabbed a set for me and my wife. They are so cool!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

$20 a pair is pricey but they do have some unusual character designs. I don't think I've ever seen Kylo-with-his-helmet-off merch either!

http://www.stance.com/the-force-awakens/M545D16FOA.html#start=1

Looks great!!! I feel your pain with attaching the shoulder pads. For the first couple of versions I did, I quilted the pads directly to the vest and it was a nightmare!
Thank you!! I couldn't have done it without first watching your build every step of the way, you really paved the path for all of us Resistance Reys. I love this costume and I could tell in each of your posts how much you love it too. Thank you for sharing all your hard work with us! :)

I'm sorry if this has been brought up already, but I was checking the standards, and the top banner image shows a detail on the gauntlets I hadn't noticed before. Does anyone know what this is? It looks like it's holes in some sort of fairisle pattern? Thanks!

resistancerey.JPG
(image credit to Rebel Legion's Costume Standard)

I'm sorry if this has been brought up already, but I was checking the standards, and the top banner image shows a detail on the gauntlets I hadn't noticed before. Does anyone know what this is? It looks like it's holes in some sort of fairisle pattern? Thanks!

View attachment 697293
(image credit to Rebel Legion's Costume Standard)

So Funny that you should post about this I JUST finished analyzing this and made a pattern of the holes. I'm going to use an awl to make them when I apply it!
Rey Gauntlet pattern.jpg

So Funny that you should post about this I JUST finished analyzing this and made a pattern of the holes. I'm going to use an awl to make them when I apply it!
View attachment 697668

I personally think that the design is done through knitting or crochet. If you really zoom in you can see the yarn.
EP7_IA_101070_R.jpg
Another thing to add, I think that the seam of the gauntlet is a bit like the princess seams on the vest, with the faggoting as well. Raw edges don’t look to be tucked underneath, you can actually see the fraying. A bit of blanket sticking on the flappy bits past the designs as well. Not sure if they’re anywhere else on them, its hard to tell. Really wish they would start promo for ep vii already so we can have high quality images to pick apart lol
Heres some other images to see the details:
12419.jpg12261.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0375.jpg
    IMG_0375.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 173
I personally think that the design is done through knitting or crochet. If you really zoom in you can see the yarn.
View attachment 700496
Another thing to add, I think that the seam of the gauntlet is a bit like the princess seams on the vest, with the faggoting as well. Raw edges don’t look to be tucked underneath, you can actually see the fraying. A bit of blanket sticking on the flappy bits past the designs as well. Not sure if they’re anywhere else on them, its hard to tell. Really wish they would start promo for ep vii already so we can have high quality images to pick apart lol
Heres some other images to see the details:
View attachment 700494View attachment 700497

I have been talking to some friends and they agree with you, it's crochet or knit lacework. I sadly have no good with either, so I wouldn't have a clue as to how to create such a pattern. If anyone knows how to turn this into a crochet or knit pattern, PLEASE DO IT FOR ME!!! I would be forever grateful!!! I can read patterns just fine, I just can't make them lol.

And yes, some of the new high res photos I have seen show the blanket stitch on the loose parts of the gauntlets, good eye! And thank you for that screen shot! I was trying to find one! That is an AWESOME shot of the faggoting!!!

I ordered some new fabric for commissions and I LOVE it! What do you guys think? It IS a wee bit darker than what I had been using, so I might have to lighten it, I'm just not sure how to go about doing that. Any ideas would be wonderful!

20170119_125007.jpg20170119_125016.jpg

I could ask my step mom if its crochet, and if it is she can most likely create a pattern. might wait a bit longer tho to see if we'll get a promo pic or teaser trailer with a clear shot of the gauntlets. cant be too far away now that we've got the title lol. is that the mood fabric? I bought the same one as it was cheaper that the other fabric I was watching.
aaand since I was sure there were better screenshots out here heres more:
starwarsVII_8973.jpgstarwarsVII_8957.jpgstarwarsVII_8966.jpg

Yes! It's Mood Fabric! I love it!!! It's SOOO SOFT!!!!

I DID figure out how to lighten the fabric btw! When I went to distress it with sandpaper, I got the correct color and effect, making the herringbone not quite as distinct as before!

Last edited:
I want to throw my 2 cents into the gauntlet patterns. I think it is done by pulling out some of the yarns, then use felting techniques to make it more even tones.

Crochet would probably result in a lot more yarn texture than you would want.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back