Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

here's some nice gifs of the gauntlets http://iheartrey.tumblr.com/post/141979743320im too impatient to wait for the blue ray to be in my hands lol edit: here's a screenshot. you can definitely see the herringbone and the lacing (probably not the correct word)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    309.2 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
I have a theory that the vest is made of handwoven fabric after washing. It results in a "chevron" look, which would match up with the "herringbone" pattern we've seen in the blurry pics previously, and accounts for the thread detail you can see in these high-res pics.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/cotton/handwoven-natural-fabric-55-inch.html
That fabric is Jedi fabric aka the fabric used for Anakin and Obi-Wan outer tunics and tabbards. It can be used for any PT Jedi costume outer tunics and tabbards as well. When washed, it shrinks to a waffle texture. I don't think it was used for the vest as it is too filmsy and the pattern is all wrong. There is a definite chevron pattern on the fabric. I was an LCJ and LMO for the Rebel Legion for a few years and I promise you that fabric isn't close for the vest. The heathered look is consistent with a patterned wool fabric that has been felted.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Also the chevron you see in that picture is more of a crinkle. I own quite a few yards of it. It's cotton and you can't really get the heathered dye effect either with pure cotton.

finally received the Po-Zu Piper shoes for my wife. They turned out to be too big, we may return them.
I signed up for the notification if there is another run of the style in the next smaller size. I yet to have them confirm they are making these still.
They are size 40 or US 9's Funny they list US sizing on the box but not on the website.
Well if there is interest here please PM me.

Last edited:
finally received the Po-Zu Piper shoes for my wife. They turned out to be too big, we may return them.
I signed up for the notification if there is another run of the style in the next smaller size. I yet to have them confirm they are making these still.
They are size 40 or US 9's Funny they list US sizing on the box but not on the website.
Well if there is interest here please PM me.

if you do end up getting new ones and find that returning them is too costly or have them past the return period let me know as I am a size 9 and would use them.

Julierose, That is what I wanted to do... make sure Po-Zu is still making them before sending them back and not having anything for her to wear.

UPDATE- Po-Zu contacted me back.
They said they will be making more, also said to send them in for an exchange. Although they can't pay for return postage, they can pay for the postage on the exchange set.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it was used for the vest as it is too filmsy and the pattern is all wrong.

Good to know since you've handled it in person, all I can do is squint at Dharma's thumbnails and trust the description. The weight never concerns me on fabric-- anything can be lined with interfaced, heavier fabric behind a fashion layer.

There is decorative trim or stitch on the side of the collar and in the princess seams on the back. It's very reminiscent of the decorative stitch/trim on the front of Padme's blue steel nightgown. It's called faggoting for those Padme costumers who remember. Padme's is more criss cross or diamond patterned where as Rey's look more ladder like aka Han's bloodstripes.
dc060cf9eca04aee8d392e04b2fdded2.jpg

5a5d7faeb08789e95c74544d3c345f82.jpg

2ceda85b56906f51a39883dcfc7b071f.jpg

9456ada6c98ec8b6921a14bb84aeaa09.jpg

Last edited:
Right now I have a rough holster pattern that i'm going to try to improve. I'm looking at making the thigh strap 1" thick and putting 2 slits in the back of the holster to feed it through.

edit
i think ive figured out the thigh strap hardware. After watching the blu ray it looks like one end goes through a square ring and is fastened with 2 rivets. The other end loops through the ring and is fastened with a stud.

Last edited:
Thanks padme911 for that info - I noticed that detail around the neck (but didn't realize it's the same thing on the princess seams in the back!) but didn't know what it was called.

Thanks a lot Kelliwise !
Thx for those pics. It looks like the holster thigh strap is made of leather.

You're very welcome, always excited to share something useful, especially when it comes to this costume! :)

Speaking of which, here's one more new view, from the Star Wars facebook page:
12472286_1142514879133445_2827505712662078090_n.jpg

Thanks @padme911 for that info - I noticed that detail around the neck (but didn't realize it's the same thing on the princess seams in the back!) but didn't know what it was called.

You're very welcome, always excited to share something useful, especially when it comes to this costume! :)

Speaking of which, here's one more new view, from the Star Wars facebook page:
View attachment 612204
Trust me, they put those details in there on purpose. JJ said the costumes were designed with attention to detail and they were definitely trying to encorporate not only Luke, Leia and Han in there but also Padme who is likely Rey's grandmother. [emoji6]

There is decorative trim or stitch on the side of the collar and in the princess seams on the back. It's very reminiscent of the decorative stitch/trim on the front of Padme's blue steel nightgown. It's called faggoting for those Padme costumers who remember. Padme's is more criss cross or diamond patterned where as Rey's look more ladder like aka Han's bloodstripes.

When I was trying to study this costume in the theater, I KNEW there had to be something more than topstitching on either side of a regular old seam going on there. It was just so hard to see in the reference photos we've had so far and even on my BluRay. Thank you for this!

Trust me, they put those details in there on purpose. JJ said the costumes were designed with attention to detail and they were definitely trying to encorporate not only Luke, Leia and Han in there but also Padme who is likely Rey's grandmother. [emoji6]

I believe it 100%. :)

Here's something I found watching Secrets of The Force Awakens: A Cinematic Journey.
This seems to confirm that the shirt has a collar, and I think there's a seam horizontally along the back, from shoulder to shoulder. Not that it matters a ton, since it's covered by the vest, but it's interesting to see. You can also see that it has almost a cap sleeve, instead of being more of a tank style.

Screenshot 2016-04-08 14.39.55.png2016-04-08 01.33.48.jpg

some progress is being made on the holster. Sadly, this is the only piece of this costume we have, since I'm spending most of my time on Rey's other costume.

View attachment 612400 View attachment 612401

I will put up the pattern once I get it all together and confirm everything fits and is laid out correctly.

I ended up making my holster out of Worbla. I'll toss some shots up when I get home of progress and final. I also have a rough pattern that I'll upload.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back