Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

Two new hi res views of the outfit in the Digital, Blu-Ray & DVD release announcement video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVzbyDq3QSY

Schermafbeelding 2016-03-03 om 19.13.19.JPGSchermafbeelding 2016-03-03 om 19.13.11.JPG

Owlfeathers, I don't know which book it's from.

I finished my pants finally. The knee pads don't look like they are in the right place in this photo, but when I put them on, it's right. Although I sewed the horizontal quilting on the knee pads on the machine, I didn't want to take the pants apart and had to sew the pads onto the pants by hand and it was really awkward, and I kept stabbing myself. :lol

MithrilDesignsReyPants.jpg

Last edited:
Owlfeathers, I don't know which book it's from.

I finished my pants finally. The knee pads don't look like they are in the right place in this photo, but when I put them on, it's right. Although I sewed the horizontal quilting on the knee pads on the machine, I didn't want to take the pants apart and had to sew the pads onto the pants by hand and it was really awkward, and I kept stabbing myself. :lol

View attachment 600994

Looks great!!! And OUCH!!! I have done that SOOOO many times for the same reasons. lol, in the end sometimes I kick myself and ask, why didn't I just stop being lazy and take the thing apart so I don't kill my hands?!

OMG!!! I JUST took a closer look at that high res shot!!! Thank you detenten for posting those!

The vest IS lined with a different fabric! It looks like a beige/tan moleskin or suade. THAT makes a TON more sense now! and you'd better believe I'll be making a new version of the vest just as soon as the DVD arrives now! I want soft fabric against my neck!

Last edited:
Now, these pics don't have me convinced that the fabric is herringbone!

Looking at those pics as well it looks like the edge of the shirt underneath the vest is raw with a blanket stitch. And I am 100% convinced that the vest edges are finished with a blanket stitch detail.

I'm new to all of this and quite a novice in the cosplay world. However I just saw the movie again - this time in 70mm iMax and I am almost certain that is not a herringbone vest. I'm sure in a couple weeks when the blu-ray is released someone far more knowledgeable in fabrics than I will be able to identify for certain. Thank you all for everything you've already done. I plan on making Rey resistance outfits for both myself and my daughter - slowly since I'm learning and it gets costly :)

Last edited:
if the vest *is* made with the hand woven fabric, it would have to be backed with something else. I used that fabric for my head wrap and it is way too stretchey and shapeless to get the look and drape of the vest.

But couldn't it be a thicker weave? This picture is handwoven broken silk. The texture could be what is giving it the look of herringbone.

What if each piece of the vest was knit/woven separately and then put together? So it was never a flat piece of fabric. The same way the cuffs of the armwarmers have been felted into the shape they are. That would explain the ridges on the back where the seams meet - it's a finished edge.

Handwoven Scarf.jpg

I would assume it's backed. I'd use fusible interfacing, though you could stitch in stiff canvas or buckram if you think that's more legit for the used universe ;) I'm going to go forward on my felt muslins and wait for more high res images....!

The incredible Mirror Universe created my Rey 2.0 costume. They created as accurate a version as possible from the movie, down to the near perfect (if not identical) wool used on screen. Here is the full album and a few of our personal shots from C2E2.

Another amazing friend created this piece for us to use when building our Resistance Rey. She reproduced the costume with striking accuracy from dozens for blurry shots from the crappy cam footage. I hope it helps!

View attachment 0REY_ILLUSTRATION.jpg

Sinrider... it was so good to meet you this last weekend! Not only was your Rey 2.0 amazing, but those resistance pilot outfits are SOOO awesome as well! The RL will come around to approving them soon, I'm sure. they are spectacular! :thumbsup

So has the vest been decided to have darts instead of princess seams?

I think I'll stick with my princess seams... but dang it! ;)

This is exactly what I needed! i'm still figuring out the sewing machine; fixing up my clothes and doing small projects, hopefully I can use this to create my own!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back