Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

EDIT: I also really believe that the whole garment is self lined (I think that's the correct term) using the same fabric on the inside as the out, to make it stiffer. I really think it's a medium weight wool, not coat weight, as I really had a difficult time finding any herringbone wool in coat weight. but I could be wrong. Just my two cents.

Yes I agree that this is likely self-lined. I was planning on just sewing the coat twice and putting them together with a blanket stitch around the raw edges. The padding at the shoulders (yay Sailor Moon influence?) I'll sew separately and attach to the outer vest before putting everything together since it looks to be tacked on top.

Here's a fabric that's mediumweight and it can be reinforced with heavyweight interfacing with horsehair interfacing in the neckline to make it stand up:

https://www.fabric.com/buy/0364487/kaufman-shetland-flannel-herringbone-jet

Okay, also, this photo is SOOO incredibly helpful! So the shoulder pads are cut on the bias, the edge stitching is definitely a blanket stitch done in what looks like a wool fiber. You also are really see the herringbone pattern and the true color of the garment. Much love to carpe mindiem over at Rebel Legion who posted it along with the other photos I shared in the link above!

EDIT: I also really believe that the whole garment is self lined (I think that's the correct term) using the same fabric on the inside as the out, to make it stiffer. I really think it's a medium weight wool, not coat weight, as I really had a difficult time finding any herringbone wool in coat weight. but I could be wrong. Just my two cents.

View attachment 578900

the edges on the vest in that pic look finished with blanket stitch for detail to me. but definitely a good picture for the detail of the fabric and edging

Oh I nearly went with that one! It's very nice!!! I can't wait to see the color when you make it. The one I picked was a wee bit darker, but I think I'll be happy with it. And it fit the budget, but DANG shipping to the US from Canada is expensive!!

So I went and saw it again! Lol. Anywho it seems like the pants are the same fabric but a little darker to me and the forearm covers are more distressed than I originally thought but the edges of the vest are definitely a straight fold with a blanket stitched detail on the front. The arm holes are just finished but no blanket stitch from what I saw(most likely due to the shoulder quilting). The only area that I couldn't visualize was the bottom edge of the vest but I think it is safe to assume that the same detail in the front would go all the way around the bottom if it goes around the neck.

the herringbone jet would work well for the pants but the vest needs lighter color

Last edited:
it seems like the pants are the same fabric but a little darker
in the dropbox link pictures above, the pants don't seem like the same fabric. They are tight and you can see wrinkles in them and to me they look brown. Seems like thinner fabric.

Well, my company is taking me on Friday soooo, yeah? :) I volunteer as tribute!

But in all seriousness, I do believe that the pants are more likely a twill of some sort, because they're fairly tight capri pants. I was going to use the Colette pattern for their capris, and just put a side slit into the pattern.

Hey! Long time lurker, first time poster.... You all are a godsend! I'm a pretty novice sewer, so this is helping me so much :)

Question, did anyone determine if the bag she is carrying in these pictures is the same from the rest of the film?

Question, did anyone determine if the bag she is carrying in these pictures is the same from the rest of the film?

Nope, it's a British WWII Signal Satchel. I'm just using a khaki satchel, as this is a very expensive and hard item to acquire.

On another topic, my fabric arrived and I am VERY happy with it. It's a grey blue herringbone wool I got from Etsy.
20160121_100501.jpg

I also got some shots back from my version 1 Resistance Rey shoot, and now I'm super motivated to remake this in the new fabric!

img1453239603852.jpgimg1453239524043.jpgimg1453239415151.jpg

looking good!

Nope, it's a British WWII Signal Satchel. I'm just using a khaki satchel, as this is a very expensive and hard item to acquire.
are we talking about the big bag with the strap she pulls the lightsaber out of? I don't think that is a signal satchel. It looks much larger. I'm pretty sure it's just the hip bag for the other outfit that the sig satchel is used for.

looking good!

are we talking about the big bag with the strap she pulls the lightsaber out of? I don't think that is a signal satchel. It looks much larger. I'm pretty sure it's just the hip bag for the other outfit that the sig satchel is used for.

The satchel was used to make the smallish pouch attached to her belt.

The shoulder bag that she brings the saber to Luke in is entirely different, and NOt the scavenger outfit backpack or shoulder bag, either. :wacko

So four separate bags for Rey. LOL

well, while we are on the topic, what is the consensus about the size and layout of this bag? 11" x 18" ? Am I seeing an upper closing flap, then another flap underneath that? Is the shoulder strap the enfield style strap that was used on the staff or something else?

rrey3.jpg

Last edited:
That thing is a mess!

it's wider at the top than the bottom, and I think it's got two openings.

The sling is definitely wider than the staff sling, and darker too

My initial thought was that it was a gas mask bag, but when I was told it was a signal bag I scrapped that idea, but now, I'm wondering, could it be what I thought before, a gas mask bag?

Has anyone found any other good sources for the wool Herringbone fabric besides the two that have been posted from etsy? The one I was going to purchase (the $9 a yard one) on recently sold out and the other fabric would costs $120 for just three yards when I messaged the seller.

Keep an eye on the $9 one. I'm the last one who purchased it and it sounds like she might have more, she might not have relisted it yet. I often forget to do that right away when I'm selling on Etsy. I'm hoping so myself, as I have two commissions for this and this fabric is SO perfect!

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back