Revell / Zvezda Star Destroyer (1/2700) Cross-Section Attempt

OTnROTSfan

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Been a while since I had something to post, but here's a "little" proof-of-concept project I started scratching and bashing on a few months back... no specific version other than what is in the cross-section pic, crammed into a Revell/Zvezda (1-2700) ISD. The backend of the host is narrower than the pic, but getting most of the main stuff represented. Got the strip of cut-away turrets bashed out this weekend. Next step either to orthogonally move the notch and turrets back on the other side and/or start on engine lighting and planning hidden fiber runs. I'm slow, but I'll get there, eventually...

Attachments

• ZVZ_KKH-Build 144.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 144.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 504
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 145.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 145.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 465
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 146.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 146.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 452
That was fun... surgically moved the port-side notch and main turrets back so it all lines up now per (and adjusting for) the pic. Used my Cameo3 to scribe and cut out the new lower and upper rear deck plates. Better phone/camera, too. Still no innards actually glued in, as of yet, since starting on lighting next...

Attachments

• ZVZ_KKH-Build 194.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 194.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 371
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 195.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 195.jpg
    726 KB · Views: 339
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 153.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 153.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 290
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 175.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 175.jpg
    693.5 KB · Views: 283
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 180.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 180.jpg
    764.1 KB · Views: 273
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 182.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 182.jpg
    813.8 KB · Views: 318
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 189.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 189.jpg
    972.5 KB · Views: 395
Was derailed for a month by four feet of snow and weeks of below zero, but back to scratching and bashing. Added a few more modules in the front of the main opening. Months of greeblies still ahead. Dug through my lighting and mod sets and ran channels for fiber optics under the open section. Also picked a stand... I think... still going back and forth on a pipe or a stand. Nothing is glued in, yet, as I have kept every chunk modular. The simple squeeze pliers down through the bridge shaft is holding a whole lot of modules in alignment right now.

Attachments

• ZVZ_KKH-Build 210a.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 210a.jpg
    695.7 KB · Views: 273
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 210b.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 210b.jpg
    774.6 KB · Views: 246
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 210c.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 210c.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 239
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 211.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 211.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 244
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 212.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 212.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 260
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 213.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 213.jpg
    723 KB · Views: 243
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 214.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 214.jpg
    662.8 KB · Views: 250
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 215.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 215.jpg
    704.2 KB · Views: 279
This is so awesome. The bashing looks incredible, great work.
I have one of these kits in my stash. Are the 1/2700 ties the ones from shapeways?

Thanks all! HMR - yeah those are the shapeways ones... future update I'll unwrap and show next to others I have grabbed along the way. Forgot to unwrap for this update. Trying to show others mods for comparatives, too. Like to compare them all in-hand myself...

Back on the ISD-XS after several months of other projects and travel. Had a cool meeting at Wonderfest '21... Dr. Reynolds, author of the Cross-Section book, was gracious enough to discuss the engineering behind the illustrations and my attempt at the Star Destroyer. In-between, I did decide to go back to wired lighting, and a post-stand... so, after a bit more surgery and realignments... ready for lighting now. Will be using a modified Green-Strawberry set (mostly because of the easier fitment). Next steps, as I get back into this build, is to wire up the lighting through the "secret" channels and drill a lot of tiny little holes. Didn't need to light it to match the illustration, but it will give me two hero side views - a cut-away, and a "normal".

Attachments

• ZVZ_KKH-Build 000a.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 000a.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 190
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 224.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 224.jpg
    662 KB · Views: 178
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 236.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 236.jpg
    775.9 KB · Views: 156
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 239.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 239.jpg
    789.5 KB · Views: 159
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 240.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 240.jpg
    501.1 KB · Views: 172
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 242.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 242.jpg
    945.7 KB · Views: 145
  • ZVZ_KKH-Build 243.jpg
    ZVZ_KKH-Build 243.jpg
    827.9 KB · Views: 190
Elite dangerous decalsElite dangerous decal
Back on the ISD-XS after several months of other projects and travel. Had a cool meeting at Wonderfest '21... Dr. Reynolds, author of the Cross-Section book, was gracious enough to discuss the engineering behind the illustrations and my attempt at the Star Destroyer. In-between, I did decide to go back to wired lighting, and a post-stand... so, after a bit more surgery and realignments... ready for lighting now. Will be using a modified Green-Strawberry set (mostly because of the easier fitment). Next steps, as I get back into this build, is to wire up the lighting through the "secret" channels and drill a lot of tiny little holes. Didn't need to light it to match the illustration, but it will give me two hero side views - a cut-away, and a "normal".
How awesome. I know its been like 2 years now, but thats why I do love the featured pics on the main page, as you see stuff like this you missed.
Just doing the outside only is a lot of work for a star destroyer, so doing parts of the inside is just nuts.

Elite dangerous decalsElite dangerous decal

How awesome. I know its been like 2 years now, but thats why I do love the featured pics on the main page, as you see stuff like this you missed.
Just doing the outside only is a lot of work for a star destroyer, so doing parts of the inside is just nuts.

Thanks. Been on hold with the delayed ESB 40th mega-project for WF last year and my ROJ 40th mega-project for WF this year... Hopefully this coming Winter will be back on this ISD... it truly is one of the more fun scratch-n-bashes I have worked on...

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back