Revell AT-AT upgrades WIP

Pedro

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I've been working on the Revell AT-AT kit for about a year now. I got it for about $20 thinking that it would be quick build in between more intense projects, but you know how that goes. ;) It's so darn big and close to being accurate I couldn't just build it as is, and every upgrade leads me to another I'd like to do. I'm about 95% done now, and thought I'd post a WIP thread to show off my work, not necessarily in chronological order. Definitely inspired by danikin72, Baloo's amazing head blueprints,and Jun Austria's great build, all seen here on RPF. And this in turn inspired me to finish my AT-AT driver costume for Halloween this year! :D

Work planned include re-scribing all the panel lines, replacing as much inaccurate detail as possible, re-greebling the belly, and major head rebuilds. I'm not worrying about keeping articulation, this will be static in a diorama. Some greebles come from random donor kits, a lot of scratchbuilds, and a 1/48 Tamiya Flakvierling which has a lot of the required greeblies (you either need several of these or a good way to reproduce parts, I resin cast some)

So, here the head so far. This is clearly the worst part of the kit, I don't know how they screwed it up so badly. Using Baloo's blueprints and measurements from studio model pics I rebuilt the back section with sheet styrene. The disks on the side are epoxy putty using a simple push mold pulled off of an appropriately sized refrigerator magnet. The fins on the bottom are new as well, and all greeblies have been replaced from scratch. I still need to build a new window/face, having built two unsatisfactory ones so far.

Revell_AT-AT-Head-1.JPG Revell_AT-AT-Head-2.JPG Revell_AT-AT-Head-3.JPG
Revell_AT-AT-Head-4.JPG Revell_AT-AT-Head-5.JPG

The guns were the fun part, and a lot of work! Side guns from bits of plastic sheet and tube, 1/48 aftermarket brass Flak barrels from RB, and the 1/48 Tamiya Flak guns.
Revell_AT-AT-cheek-1.JPG Revell_AT-AT-cheek-2.JPG

The chin guns were a lot of work! I built one and made a mold for the second. Mostly epoxy putty with plastic detailing and the round/wheel part salvaged and modified from the parts that came with the kit. The barrels are 1/48 aftermarket King Tiger barrels from RB with the ends filed to the appropriate shape.
Revell_AT-AT-chin-1.JPG Revell_AT-AT-chin-2.JPG

Like I said, the rest of the kit is mostly complete, though I keep finding little things to fix up. I'll try to post some more pics as time permits. Thanks for looking!

Nice work Pedro. I am also working on a Revell AT-AT with the same purpose of getting it as accurate as possible. Baloo's blueprints are a tremendous help in this project.

Keep up the great work. I can't wait to see more.

anamorphicWayne

Thanks! anamorphicWayne - I'd love to see the work you're doing on it, any pics? I'll be posting up PDFs of some of the drawings I did for various bits like the little cover that goes over the back/butt, various disks and ankle/hip covers, stuff like that, in case they'll be of use to anyone else. In combo with Baloo's stuff they may save folks some time.

Here are lots of greebles on the belly of the kit. The overall shapes that come with are pretty accurate, but a lot of bits were missing. I tried to be as accurate as possible without the original donor parts in most cases, but going often for the general look of a greeble rather than exact to the rivet. If it's white it's styrene scratch bits, tan are from the spares box or the 1/48 Flak, green are from an unknown 1/35 tank I have a sprue of leftover from childhood. ;)

Revell_AT-AT-belly4.JPG Revell_AT-AT-belly1.JPG Revell_AT-AT-belly2.JPG Revell_AT-AT-belly3.JPG

I've pretty much just started the build, so I don't have too many photos. But eventually I'll make a thread on my build, that way I'll post more. Here's what I have so far.

Attachments

• 100_2989.JPG
    100_2989.JPG
    139.9 KB · Views: 208
  • 100_2987.JPG
    100_2987.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 201
  • 100_2993.JPG
    100_2993.JPG
    203.3 KB · Views: 209
  • 100_2999.JPG
    100_2999.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 214
  • 100_3044.JPG
    100_3044.JPG
    285.7 KB · Views: 193
  • 100_3093.JPG
    100_3093.JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 197
  • 100_3095.JPG
    100_3095.JPG
    176.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 100_3102.JPG
    100_3102.JPG
    133.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 100_3063.JPG
    100_3063.JPG
    216.9 KB · Views: 186
  • 100_3096.JPG
    100_3096.JPG
    179.1 KB · Views: 191
Another AT-AT thread ... love it ... so how does this Revell compare with an older almost vintage MPC AT-AT?

Chaim

For one thing, this kit is larger than the MPC kit. About 4 1/2 inches taller. There are some accuracies, but not in the head. But I'm sure the veteran RPF members have more details on the differences. It's not a bad kit for its price.

Cool idea scratching the top plates on yours, probably would have saved me a lot of work! I didn't have the gumption to scratch the whole head, though it ended up about 80% rebuilt anyway.

Hey Chaim, I wondered if you'd see this. :) I don't currently have the AMT kit but I built it when I was a kid. Pretty similar with a much better head and guns from what I can see. But for me size is king with Star Wars models. I did like the neck on the old kit which was articulated with a rubber band (probably break over time though!). The Revell neck is a complete mess.

Cool idea scratching the top plates on yours, probably would have saved me a lot of work! I didn't have the gumption to scratch the whole head, though it ended up about 80% rebuilt anyway.

Yeah, I'll be sticking my foot into it if it doesn't work out. Head and All. :unsure

I just realized you're rebuilding the whole body too. Ambitious!

Ambitious? More like insane. But I'm so devoted in getting it done. You, on the other hand, got thru all the hard part. I assume. I'm basically using the original body as structure and then add styrene over top, which will be the armour plates. Afterwards, I will scribe in the panel lines and then add the greeblies and such.

Ambitious? More like insane. But I'm so devoted in getting it done. You, on the other hand, got thru all the hard part. I assume. I'm basically using the original body as structure and then add styrene over top, which will be the armour plates. Afterwards, I will scribe in the panel lines and then add the greeblies and such.

So you're re-facing the kit parts with plastic sheet to save all the panel line removal and get a fresh surface? Not a bad idea, the sanding was quite a lot of work. But scribing all those lines was super fun, I love watching the detail come alive. :)

So you're re-facing the kit parts with plastic sheet to save all the panel line removal and get a fresh surface? Not a bad idea, the sanding was quite a lot of work. But scribing all those lines was super fun, I love watching the detail come alive. :)

Correct. To get accurate 'panel lines' placement, I used blueprints of the studio scale model that I was working on to scale down to the Revell scale. I basically copied the measurements to the styrene (body panels) sheets. However, during my 'scaling down' I found that the proportions of the SS model and the Revell kit didn't line up. So I had to fudge some of the lines to make it fit.

I've been working on the Revell AT-AT kit for about a year now. I got it for about $20 thinking that it would be quick build in between more intense projects, but you know how that goes. ;) It's so darn big and close to being accurate I couldn't just build it as is, and every upgrade leads me to another I'd like to do. I'm about 95% done now, and thought I'd post a WIP thread to show off my work, not necessarily in chronological order. Definitely inspired by danikin72, Baloo's amazing head blueprints,and Jun Austria's great build, all seen here on RPF. And this in turn inspired me to finish my AT-AT driver costume for Halloween this year! :D

Work planned include re-scribing all the panel lines, replacing as much inaccurate detail as possible, re-greebling the belly, and major head rebuilds. I'm not worrying about keeping articulation, this will be static in a diorama. Some greebles come from random donor kits, a lot of scratchbuilds, and a 1/48 Tamiya Flakvierling which has a lot of the required greeblies (you either need several of these or a good way to reproduce parts, I resin cast some)

So, here the head so far. This is clearly the worst part of the kit, I don't know how they screwed it up so badly. Using Baloo's blueprints and measurements from studio model pics I rebuilt the back section with sheet styrene. The disks on the side are epoxy putty using a simple push mold pulled off of an appropriately sized refrigerator magnet. The fins on the bottom are new as well, and all greeblies have been replaced from scratch. I still need to build a new window/face, having built two unsatisfactory ones so far.

View attachment 411570 View attachment 411571 View attachment 411572
View attachment 411573 View attachment 411578

The guns were the fun part, and a lot of work! Side guns from bits of plastic sheet and tube, 1/48 aftermarket brass Flak barrels from RB, and the 1/48 Tamiya Flak guns.
View attachment 411583 View attachment 411584

The chin guns were a lot of work! I built one and made a mold for the second. Mostly epoxy putty with plastic detailing and the round/wheel part salvaged and modified from the parts that came with the kit. The barrels are 1/48 aftermarket King Tiger barrels from RB with the ends filed to the appropriate shape.
View attachment 411587 View attachment 411588

Like I said, the rest of the kit is mostly complete, though I keep finding little things to fix up. I'll try to post some more pics as time permits. Thanks for looking!

Wow. Your Side Gun and Chin Gun are the only parts that I need to redo for my Revell. I must get back to mine now. Fantastic work!!

Hey Chaim, I wondered if you'd see this. :) I don't currently have the AMT kit but I built it when I was a kid. Pretty similar with a much better head and guns from what I can see. But for me size is king with Star Wars models. I did like the neck on the old kit which was articulated with a rubber band (probably break over time though!). The Revell neck is a complete mess.

Thanks ... good to know ... yeah I'm looking at my unpainted but finished MPC AT-AT with additional scrappy parts so all the hind legs could also move ... heck I was 15 and not an engineer ... little did I know that I would have to position the AT-AT very carefully now and in balance so it would not fall on it's head all the time ha, ha, ha! Looking forward to your progress Pedro ... and I marvel at the fact that 30 some years after release so many folks are still obsessed over those ESB walkers :wacko

In case you haven't seen them in Christrom's thread ... here's the latest AT-AT version available at 1/350 scale by F-toys :

F-Toys-AT-AT-350-01-fb.jpg

Chaim

Last edited:
Wow. Your Side Gun and Chin Gun are the only parts that I need to redo for my Revell. I must get back to mine now. Fantastic work!!

Hi Jun, glad to see you here! Your build has been a big inspiration and I've stolen liberally from your work. ;) Every time I almost decide to skip some work I remind myself that you did it. ;) Can't wait to see an update on yours. If you're interested I can send you casts of my chin guns, just PM me.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back