Resin Casting

Junk Pilot

Sr Member
Because there is no "How-to" thread I've posted this here (I'm hoping the Mods will be forgiving) but I've been interested in resin casting for sometime and am always looking for good information. Does anyone have any good links to information or videos at all?

I've seen some basic videos and it appears simple but what considerations need to be taken into account?

And what brands does everyone use?

I just started out in this area myself, using Alumilite, only simple castings, but this stuff really does what it says on the tin, and i would recommend it for starting out with simple open face molds for kit parts!

The joy is it sets up fast, but if you manipulate the molds just after you pour your resin, you can get bubble free castings everytime.

Dont over do the talc in your mold, just a light dusting around with a soft brush, and your new part will pop right out leaving the mold good to go for many, many pulls.

lee

In Oz man I think you will find Barnes is the best. Ultrasil for the silicon. It's the blue silicon and the mold will last for years. If it's just one or two you need to pull then pinksil will do just fine. I also use barnes resin. Works great. Some of the stuff the other guys use is hard to get in Oz.

Yeah, we don't have a Smooth-On or Alumilite distributor here as far as I know. I used to use old BJB (?) resins (horribly hygroscopic and smelly) and General Electric silicones - the GE had a green catalyst, making it easy to mix. However cured moulds turned to rock in a few months/years. Later I used Rhone-Poulenc silicones and every mould I made is still good to go, even ones that are 15 years old. Clear catalyst though, so you mix forever to be on the safe side. At the moment I'm using the blue-catalyst Ultrasil and rediscovering the joy of easy mixing. Time will tell with regard to its durability! The Barnes resins are nice to work with.

You probably also have people who will formulate custom urethanes for industrial purposes. I had a translucent urethane made up for me a few years ago which was slow-kicking enough that I could use it with fibreglass matting. Didn't cost any more than regular casting urethane. If you have any special requirements, check the industry section of your Yellow Pages.

Or maybe he just wants to cast up some small kit parts for a Ss build and thought he would ask the friendly helpful guys around here what they use for just such a thing.

Just thinking out loud.

+1 on the Barnes recommendations. Readily available here in oz and really easy to use compared to some other brands. I use Adelaide Moulding & Casting supplies because they are a little cheaper than the Barnes store, so with shipping it works out about the same, and saves me 2 hours of driving.

I wouldn't worry too much about this being in the wrong spot, the mods will move if it is

Or maybe he just wants to cast up some small kit parts for a Ss build and thought he would ask the friendly helpful guys around here what they use for just such a thing.

An actual build thread would be the way to go then, wouldn't it?

Of course, you're right. I wouldn't know the first thing about what it means to be helpful in build threads around here.

An actual build thread would be the way to go then, wouldn't it?

Of course, you're right. I wouldn't know the first thing about what it means to be helpful in build threads around here.

Don't take it personally man, he just asked for help that's all. No need to patronize him with the old use the search feature BS. Man I actually admire and respect your work and the amazing contributions you have made to this hobby . I have followed your threads and discoveries regarding the x wing and have learned a great deal from them. But when someone asks for help and you basically tell them to go somewhere else , I think that is uncalled for that's all. Just my opinion...

Look, this isn't the bunny slope, and there are no "How-Tos" for any of this stuff. The Studio Scale Modeling forum was created for builders. And I'm not going to apologize for getting grumpy every time someone creates a dedicated thread in order to ask a very general question, especially when there are more suitable forums for such queries and the OP all but admits that he understands that he's posting in the wrong section, but decided to do it just the same.

I use Model-Pro Resin from SpecialityResins on eBay, and I use Illusiveffects A25 Yellow 10:1 Silicone for making molds only takes about 2 hours to cure.

Look, this isn't the bunny slope, and there are no "How-Tos" for any of this stuff. The Studio Scale Modeling forum was created for builders. And I'm not going to apologize for getting grumpy every time someone creates a dedicated thread in order to ask a very general question, especially when there are more suitable forums for such queries and the OP all but admits that he understands that he's posting in the wrong section, but decided to do it just the same.

Wow,Imagine that you were new to all this and asked for some information,only to be rebuked by someone like you...............this is everyone's playground,not just yours.

Wow,Imagine that you were new to all this and asked for some information,only to be rebuked by someone like you...............this is everyone's playground,not just yours.

Well, now that this thread has been moved to the appropriate forum, my replies in it are easy to take out of context.

Still, I stand by every word given the manner and venue in which the original request was made. And if that means that not everyone will like me, then I suppose I'll have to find a way to carry on...

Resin rocks, you'll love it. Serious fun. Like a few others have said the smooth-on vids are great. Take a trip to youtube and just search for resin casting or mould making and heaps of good ones will come up. Don't worry too much if they are using different products or ones that are not available in Aussie. Once you understand the steps you can then start googleing products and comparing the product info or data sheets. Good luck man.

Years ago I used to cast my own sculpts using car resin,......now after all these years I just cast some more pieces and I still am using car resin,

images

The P38 tub is usually half full, so I empty the Resin bottle into the tub and mix the two together, the resin ends up nice and pourable & the P38 part makes it easy to sand when hardened, the pieces I cast turned out very well

J

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back