Redesigned Nautilus x 2

vismus

Haven't posted in a bit but have been redesigning and building the Nemo's Nautilus from "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea".
(I've a number of conventional builds here on older threads but for better than a year, I've rethinking the design based on the Disney/Harper Goff design.)
The premise of these designs is what if Nemo and crew actually did survive either the maelstrom of the book or here sinking in the movie.
Certainly not hard to imagine either. My guess is Nemo would fortify the sub in ways to make it far more lethal without adding any weapon that involves the use of gun powder.
The Nautilus in the background has a much more streamlined and lower wheelhouse than the original, spotlights placed on the deck and out of harms way and an greatly extended arch raker, the sub's weapon. for sinking enemy ships.
The not quite finished build in the foreground is my newest and most radical design change. I've totally removed the conventional wheelhouse, duplicated the keel raker in its place and placed a dome wheelhouse midships. Forward spots are located on the starboard side for the helmsman.
Am happy to provide more pictures and details if interested.
Thanks,
Tommie

Attachments

• IMG_3128.JPG
    IMG_3128.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 280
  • IMG_3135.JPG
    IMG_3135.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 218
  • IMG_3113.JPG
    IMG_3113.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 250
  • IMG_2991.JPG
    IMG_2991.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 214
Do you have a casting of your new design? This is a thing of beauty. I want to build a large scale Nautilus but I do like your design better than the Disney model. I would appreciate any photos or schematics and information you can give. I have to wait a bit to build this beast yet, because I am in Kabul, Afghanistan for the next 6 months to a year. But you have me really interested in your design.

What is it made out of? It looks like a casting. I am really impressed. I would love to take your basic design and put my own spin on it,

Thanks for showing your work. 20,000 Leagues and Jules Verne will be with us always.

Respectfully,

Scott Buchanan

Scott:
The hull is a Scott Bodeen 1/69 resin casting sold by nautilusdrydocks.com. The hull is cast in upper and lower halves, the upper has the side rakers attached.
For this build, I used a second forward section of the lower hull to replace the bow to midships of the upper. The dome wheelhouse was scratch built and the
'anvil' section behind the dome is another section of the lower hull keel. I had rough sketches of what I wanted to achieve but it will be fairly obvious once you study the kit. This build unfortunately requires two kits.
I'll post more pics once she is complete and weathered.
Thanks for your kind words,
Tommie

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back