RED PLANET belt tool build

funboy1013xx

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
  1. so im a huge "red planet" fan and after watching the movie a billion times I wanted to make the "belt tool/pick axe" used by val kilmer and carrie moss. board member RAVEN sent me a couple pictures and I took some screen grabs and im on my way!! this will be a "hybrid" as ive noticed in my research there were 2-3 different ones. a "solid" non-moving version, an extendable/opening version and a "special fx" version used at the end of the film, used for cutting and sparks etc. 1421996189579.jpg I started with poster board and cut patterns for a mold. then filled them with bondo to make "wafers" that could be built up to various thicknesses 1419372086535.jpg 1419372123435.jpg 2015-01-06 14.28.19.jpg drilled holes for alignment pins and a trench for the shaft. 1420851343065.jpg basis shape for handle done and shaft primered to better see pits and holes to be filled. 2015-01-09 16.56.50.jpg test fitting. more to come later!!

1420851585363.jpg don't know why pictures aren't loading. anyway test fitting the pick arm. 2015-01-18 23.14.22.jpg finishing up the detail on the "trench" tool side. silver painted everything else. I also made a modification to the "side wedges" for the trench tool. "not pictured" yet.

thanks man I appreciate it. your pictures helped a ton and made it much easier for me! :cheers and actually the fabric its sitting on is the same fabric used for the "shower towel" used by carrie moss:p

I need to make a Velcro loop so that I can attach this tool to the utility belt - let me know if you have any spare

I don't have the "blue material" for the belts BUT I do have some of the small elastic "blue" loops used to hold it in place. :p

ok not sure what you mean by loops, could you post a pic - not sure why your photos are blocked but can only assume its your end as have sent a test to another email address and they are not blocked - can you try on another computer as have a lot more pics to send you

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back