Real E11 Sterling mk4 build costs.

_Lee_

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
Im looking at purchasing a real deactivated sterling mk4 to convert to a Trooper E11. I beleive ive found one at a good price of £240 from a guy near me. How much more would i need to spend to make it accurate? And is there a lot of drilling/cutting involved?
Ive heard of people using resin parts but tlid rather go the whole hog.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Lee

I would jump on a deactivated sterling for that money, instead here in the states we get torch cut kits. I think your next biggest expense will be the scope and Henglester Counter.

You really have a leg up getting a deactivated Sterling, which is where most of the drilling and cutting comes in. You will have to cut a magazine, but that takes all of 5 minutes. A little more bending/ cutting for the scope mount, or you can just buy one. You can get everything you need on FISD. If you use a replica (resin) scope and replica Henglester you will save ALOT of money. Depending on the version you want to make, you can get metal replicas.

Most of your work will be finishing (paint, glue, etc). Ballpark to finish it (all real parts) $500 to $1000+ and half of that if you use replica parts

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks bud. I can actually get 3 at £240 each as the guy wants them all gone in one go...

No way you can mail me one right? I would seriously pay for half of yours for your troubles but know you can't ship out of the country.

Its an awesome piece, I have an Ajax kit with a Dday pipe.

Thanks bud. I can actually get 3 at £240 each as the guy wants them all gone in one go...
Thats an awesome price , sucks that its hard to export these ,even within the EU , there is no problem ovning one here , but importing it is a whole other ballgame .
In actually in the process of getting prices for an all steel kit of these,as i havent seen anyone doing this , i belive that would get around the fact that the originals was once a gun before deac.

Hey guys,

im new to the genuine Sterlings so have no idea on specs. Marv, can you let us know what specs differentiate them? Is there huge physical difference?

Cheers

Lee

Old spec can be fully stripped and dry fire. With a new spec some of it could be stripped but not all, and likelihood is that it won't dry fire, could be wrong but think sometimes it's kind of one or the other. Will fire doesn't strip, or other way round. Old spec is much more expensive too. Whatever make sure the certificates are with them and that the serials all match up. If there is no cert I'd stay way clear.

Look at the Sterlings you are buying closely. See which parts are moving and which are not. Read the Certificate of deactivation. You will prefer older specs with moving parts. The new spec seems to miss many moving parts, and they are replacing the bolt with a solid steel piece. But get them if everything is ok, because with the new laws that keep coming I have a hunch we won't see Sterlings for too long anymore. Remember in US they cut them up badly, so in EU is much better even if new spec. But EU Sterlings cannot be sent to US, the US buyer might be in huge trouble with the law there, if having these deactivated differently than what is required in US.

You will need the following parts to make the E-11 conversion:
- T-tracks (preferably plastic like the screen used) - you can get Roy, Gino, Marv and a couple other versions; you need to bend them to fit in place
- M38/M40 Sherman tank scope or M19/M32 scope - you can get originals or resin/metal replicas on FISD, prices vary a lot
- scope rail made of steel or aluminum, you can get a separate bracket for the Hengstler counter or in one piece with the scope rail - again you can find them on FISD if not wanting to make them yourself
- Eagle Hengstler mechanical counter with metal sleeve (just Eagle logo or Eagle with text, your choice) - you can get less accurate counters with plastic sleeve for cheaper, or even cool replicas on FISD
- mag cylinders - the best, hands down, are from PWC on FISD, but he has taken a pause in making them, I think there are still a few other less accurate options out there on FISD or like etsy or Shapeways for example

Good luck

Most of the new spec Sterling's that I have seen have had the back of the bolt removed and replaced by a bit of tube with a hole in it that the cocking handle go's in to. The Government has just put a new De Act spec in place that says all guns must be fully welded up so that nothing moves and the mag is welded in place. It is also now an offence to sell a De Act gun without getting it destroyed to the new spec!! Like this is going to save us all from Terrorists :lol

Bugger that, way too much hassle. Ill stick with my Resin cast and Hasbro conversion :)
Just as jkno said , GET IT , you will never regret getting it , if you dont on the other hand ...... Sooner or later you will !!!!!
even if you get it at that price and decide not to build , you are likely to turn a profit on it , dont think these are going down in price anytime soon

Hi Guys,

Im going go for it, this is the one I can get:

809441_-_photo_16_1463837666_img.jpg809441_-_photo_17_1463837667_img.jpg809441_-_photo_19_1463837668_img.jpg

Its deactivated 9mm,new spec, trigger moves, mag releases,stock folds and cocking handle pulls back . It has the deactivation certs. Im assuming that with its deactivation cert that its legal to own!

Im going to go for it :)

Lee

Don't give up. In the future it might be too late in EU to own a real Sterling, and then you'll be sorry.

The new EU law started on 8th april. That´s why i bought so many guns before that date.

It´s illegal now to buy or sell the deaced guns which were "free over 18" while the old rules were valid.

Btw. - according great t-tracks for a great price: http://wannawanga.com/shop/

- - - Updated - - -

It has the deactivation certs. Im assuming that with its deactivation cert that its legal to own!

No. Earlier this year, yes - but now not.

Is that US law or EU?

Most of the new spec Sterling's that I have seen have had the back of the bolt removed and replaced by a bit of tube with a hole in it that the cocking handle go's in to. The Government has just put a new De Act spec in place that says all guns must be fully welded up so that nothing moves and the mag is welded in place. It is also now an offence to sell a De Act gun without getting it destroyed to the new spec!! Like this is going to save us all from Terrorists :lol

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back