Re-inventing Lukes ANH Lightsaber- And Vaders too??!?!

Well, im closing shop....That last pic was the deathblow...
Good show Chris and good show Jfowler, and of course Chip....

So weve estableished from this thread....
FACT-
1.Middle D-ring position, with the rivot directly on the opposite side of control box and possibly onr rivet....unless they put 2 side by side to keep the D-ring mount from spinning if it got too loose. (possibly wouldent fit though)

FACT-
2.7 grips..

Chris I think this info and that pic from Jfowler should be added to your site...(with the permission of Jfowler of course)

Great work people...I think this thread was a definite success.

Through the middle of this thread I almost regret having started it...but it looks like everything turned out fine...

Now Im off to order one grip strip from Blastech.
DS

CASE CLOSED...

I've already e-mailed John (Yodashouse) with that same scan and let him know about the new discovery on the "ANH" Saber having 7 grips.

Haven't heard back from him as of yet.

I think his D-ring brackets are still acceptable!

- Jim
fett_esb_icon.gif

Holy frelling ****, did we get this saber wrong! That'll teach us to trust Icons
icon_lol.gif

Ahhh! One of my grips is SUPER GLUED on! damn
icon_frown.gif

~Paul
icon_smile.gif

here's the real question...

what about the ESB saber? is that still considered 6 grips? or is that maybe 7 as well?

and more importantly...

how can i remove the sticky residue from Yodashouse grips?
icon_smile.gif

tom

I think it looks like 6 in the Wampa cave scene. The grips in other pics look more widely spcaed tahn in ANH too.

~Paul
icon_smile.gif

Actually, I think Marco Ent. started the "6 Grip" thing... I could be wrong, though.

The July, 22nd 1980 issue of "US" magazine has the BEST photo of Luke's "ESB" saber (on the cover) I have yet to find!

- Jim
fett_esb_icon.gif

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>Quote:<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>FACT-
1.Middle D-ring position, with the rivot directly on the opposite side of control box and possibly onr rivet....unless they put 2 side by side to keep the D-ring mount from spinning if it got too loose. (possibly wouldent fit though)
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Not a fact. D-ring is not centered. It is off centered. Evenly spaced between the edge and the middle. As EDC said, .125" or 1/8" from the center. This is what I was saying all along.
icon_smile.gif

Grips are indeed 7. In the side shot from chronicles in the high res version, you can see 5 grips. After studying high res shots of the GK blaster, and the kenobi ANH from this same photo shoot, it's amazing how a little shadow can play tricks on your eyes. I see 5 grips, not 4 like others.

D-ring clamp is like what Lonepigeon stated to me. Just a folded piece of metal.

Nice work on the discoveries. Plus, the d-ring looks to be a 3/4" d-ring, just like the Vader ANH and the Kenobi ANH. Most people put 1" d-rings on the Kenobi ANH which is incorrect.

Back to Icons, trust me when I say the photos they had available (at least for the Kenobi ANH) were not very good quality shots. I didn't work for them and have better res shots of the same pictures then they had.

This thread reminds me quite abit about the entire Kenobi Gear teeth number debate. Hiyatta and myself went back and forth. He saying 16 me saying 15. Glad ot know he proved me wrong on that one.
icon_smile.gif

I STILL SAY 6!!!! Because I like the number 6 better
icon_smile.gif

Just kidding. Yes, 7 seems to be right on that pic. And I guess we'll have to wait for the DVD to see if the film version also has 7, but it most likely does too. Thanks for the pic jfowler and chris.

Those were the days Gav!! Real mind bender that was!!
icon_wink.gif

Well it IS 7!

I resized that pic so the rear of the tube was 1.5" and came up with a grip width of approx 1/2" (a hair under but negligible due to angles etc) and a space between grips of approx 13/64". If the grips are spaced evenly then both of those measurements satisfy the criteria for 7 evenly spaced grips. Reason I did that was to make sure that there were not 8 grips on the saber which I was beginning to suspect. With everyone getting excited about this I didn't want anyone to overlook another possibility.

Of course, someone may want to look into the 8 grips JUST in case I missed something. I can't say I studied this one with near the intensity as I did the Obiwan fins.

Glad to see people getting back to hardcore prop research!!

Haven't looked at the D-ring yet but I think they mean the edge of the D-ring is near the center of the tube rather than the outer edge of the tube.

Cheers all!

7 still kills me! There must have either been an mathematical weirdo who could easily divide a circle into 7 even spaces or they just got lucky. It would have been so much easier to keep the number of grips even.

Oh well.
icon_rolleyes.gif

7 grips...rare 7 bubble calc strip....from a movie released in 1977

It's not a prop, but rather an OMEN FROM THE GOD'S...

(heh)

GAV- FACT THE D-RING IS CENTERED (the hinge)!!! THE D-RING ATTACHMENT IS NOT!!
Trust me , thats why I started the thread.
What did you think Ive been talking about since the beginning??!

I appologize for not making myself clear...If you've been following this thread and didnt understand what I meant by "Center" placement, I've been referring to the actual HINGE of the D-ring.

If you look at all of my diagrams since the beginning they all have the hinge in the center.

Darth,

I'm saying the hinge is not directly centered but between center and the edge. Hinge being about 1/8" from the center axis of the tube.

Sorry about that Gav....Its 1/8 off center, close enough...BTW how the hell did you get such exact measurements of it being 1/8 off center????

Jeez, 1/8 thats like...what?..3mm?

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Hiyata99 wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
7 still kills me! There must have either been an mathematical weirdo who could easily divide a circle into 7 even spaces or they just got lucky. It would have been so much easier to keep the number of grips even.

Oh well.
icon_rolleyes.gif

Or maybe Bapty just wasn't that sophistuicated with their techniques...

I suppose they just started going "'round the clock", soon had six WIPER BLADES placed, had too much space left, so added a seventh (As opposed to placing the blades on in pairs mounted at opposite points on the clock).

Heres something WACKY! Just did some freeze frames from the film.. The scene where Luke spins around and says "Why would imperial troops want to slaughter Jawas", chack out his saber...Theres one BIG ass gap between grips!!!...Maybe one fell off during production.

Thank God I sold my ANH Graflex a while back. And it's 6 grips for the ESB saber(at least in the Wampa scene version). Counted 6 in that scene and that's good enough for me, since that's the version of the saber I built.

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
DARTH SABER wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
GAV- FACT THE D-RING IS CENTERED (the hinge)!!! THE D-RING ATTACHMENT IS NOT!!
Trust me , thats why I started the thread.
What did you think Ive been talking about since the beginning??!

Through Trial and error with the 3D models I found also that D-ring is off center by about .125".

The edge of the D-ring bracket rides the centerline of the base of the flash check out this pic again:

ANHpov.jpg

BTW, allow me also to clear up the D-ring size issue. I think I know why people always argue about this.

What is used on the sabers are .75" D-rings, and D-rings are measured using the space INSIDE of them. In other would a .75" D-ring will accomodate a .75" strap. However the D-ring is .125" thick, so its outer measurement is 1".

I think this is where most people butts heads on the .75" vs. 1" ring, they are just measuring them differently.

wow - seven grips!! will wonders never cease??

now I'm glad I held off on a conversion kit
icon_biggrin.gif
great pic JFowler - I love it when a new discovery comes to light

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back