Ralph McQuarrie Snowtrooper commander helmet[3D-modelling and print]

So, I just learned something. I should not take photos with my phone since the small lens distorts things. Therefore I've taken a few new photos which does not make the side tubes to look oversized as compared to the concept reference material.

1_V2.jpg

2_V2.jpg
3_V2.jpg

I've made several modifications to the model and also started sanding away the layer lines. Tedious work that really does not deserve any photos so I'll instead show the mold and (future) buck for vacuum forming the lenses.
View attachment 1497117
Prepared and sanded 3D-print as basis for the buck

View attachment 1497118
First step for making a mold , adding some draft angles to the sides and sealing the walls. (I of course should have incorporated the draft in the print directly but as my method is trial and error this is just a prime example for the latter.

View attachment 1497119
Clay added, in this case sulfur-free chavant as to not intervene with the curing of the silicone I'm using.

View attachment 1497120
Outer walls in place and corners sealed. After this I poured water in the to measure the exact amount of silicone needed and to secure it was sealed properly. After that I left it overnight to dry out.

View attachment 1497121
The silicone is poured into the mold.

View attachment 1497122
The mold separated and came out perfect(which is lucky since I don't have any more silicone at home and furthermore, it's expensive as crap so...Good for me :)

View attachment 1497123
First pull from the mold, this one is just a test with basic cheap plaster. It cracked a little so I'm going to do another one with better grade synthetic plaster(Jesmonite).

After that it's of to be vacuum formed and tested in the main build.
couldn't you use latex instead? I mean I haven't tryed its I don't know the pros and cons but its just a thought.

couldn't you use latex instead? I mean I haven't tryed its I don't know the pros and cons but its just a thought.
Probably could, yes, but it would need a hard coat to keep the shape and it's tricky not to get airbubbles in the mold. I'm more used to silicone so I used that in short.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back