Quint's Jacket From Jaws

Funky - it is highly unusual! Shaw footage as Quint is like Nirvana for Jaws fans, the holy grail. This footage only surfaced in the last few weeks and this is my screen cap from it.

Footage of Spielberg and co. in shirts is commonplace. Seeing 'Quint' in a JAWS t-shirt is bloody amazing - trust me! Never been seen before!

:lol Umm.....TOTALLY!!!!! :lol

First time I have seen that one!!

ScreenShot2012-09-13at213821.png

How awesome is that?

I've been doing some searching for M-51 field jackets, and stumbled across this company (Alpha Industries) that makes brand new replicas of the M-51, sizes Small through XX-Large, they're a bit pricey, but I shopped around and found a bunch of different sites that sell them. They're in brand new condition and cheaper than I've seen used ones through Army Surplus sites.

Alpha Industries Replica M-51 - Jake's Pilot Shop $97

Alpha Industries M-51 Field Coat, Style # MJM41000C1, americanequipage.com, alpha industries cwu, alpha industries n3b $121

Alpha M-51 Field Coat - Shop Online & Save! $125

Glen's Army Navy Store - Alpha Industries M-51 Field Jacket - MJM41000C1 $129.65

Alpha: Olive Drab - Military Style M-51 Jacket - Army Navy Store $159.99

Military Field Jackets, M-65, M-1943 (M-43), from U.S. Wings $165

Alpha Industries Replica M-51 Field Coat (Alpha Industries MJM41000C1), Military Field Coats, Field Jackets, M-65, M65, M 65, Army field coat, Marine jacket, camo jacket $176

They're all the same jacket, by the same company, I just wanted to show all the different sites that sell them, in case one sells out etc.

ALPHAM51_DETAIL.jpg

sargeM51_DETAIL.jpg

Last edited:
I've never realized how much I wanted one of these before viewing this post.

"JAWS" is one of my all time favorite movies...looks like it's time to hit the Bay to find one that fits me...then another mannequin to put the outfit on and set in the movie room when I get it done.

I still have my old issued jacket but it won't work, it's from the 70's. Different collar and cuffs. I always wondered though. Why was he in an Army jacket, it should have been a Navy Deck jacket, unless he went into the Army after WWII.

Raising this from the dead...

I was able to score a vintage M-1951 in a thrift store last week in practically mint condition! It's a medium, and as mentioned above, they run large (I have a gut so was pleasantly surprised this fits me). The place I got it (Iguana in Hollywood) had plenty of smalls, but I think I snagged their last medium.

44413928082_caba795251_z.jpg

Been doing some research on the name tag and made some screengrabs. It appears to be a stencil, but not a traditional military font. I found a very close match online, but now I need to track down the proper stencil (the one on my jacket is just a paper one I made as a size test). If all else fails, I'll print out what I found and make my own stencil, the goal being to then paint it onto a suitable piece of cloth. Onscreen, the tag appears to run the width of the pocket (mine is 5.5"), then about 1.5" tall. The actual letters appear to be about 1". Most all stencils I'm finding online come in 1-inch increments, and 2" is clearly too big.

43745545364_ec8ac0c91b_k.jpg

44463539441_28b472b776_z.jpg

The hunt continues...

Last edited:
Thanks for the canvas tip! I have an old canvas bag that I can use for the same purpose.

I picked up a couple of cheap stencil sets this week. Neither is a perfect match, but I'm going to stick with the thicker letters. I might rework the Q as the shape isn't quite right. The rest are good enough. Paper tests here:

43614319945_57336921d4_n.jpg

Oddly enough, I'm having the hardest time finding a green chalkboard! I want one about 24" x 18" but can only find black ones online so far.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back