Quint's Jacket From Jaws

Discussion in 'Replica Costumes' started by kevin1701, Nov 23, 2011.

1. kevin1701

kevin1701 Member

I'm looking to get my son a replica of Quint's army jacket from Jaws. Anyone know where I could get the name printed over the right pocket?

I can't get the photo to load but it looks like standard military printing--last name over the pocket.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  2. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

3. CTF

CTF Sr Member

This is a cool project, alright!

4. Hedjii72

Hedjii72 Sr Member

Necro-ing this. Does anyone know exactly what kind of jacket Quint wears? I'd like to find something similar.

5. propmainiac

propmainiac Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I belive it to be a m1941 or 1943 army field jacket. Might even be a korean war army jacket because of the drawsting at the waist.

6. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Try looking for an M 65 field jacket in olive drab.

7. Hedjii72

Hedjii72 Sr Member

Thank you!:thumbsup

8. Wailonskydog

Wailonskydog Well-Known Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I did a lot of research on this a few years back and ended up with the exact jacket. It's a Korean War era M-1951 Field jacket with the drawstring at the waist and buttons and zipper on the inside. They're on ebay pretty regularly but run big so size down.

[​IMG]

9. clancampbell

clancampbell Sr Member

I'm on a real Jaws kick at the moment, (wonder why??? Lol!) So this is just awesome....

Rich

10. superjedi

superjedi Sr Member

Well, I stand corrected. :thumbsup

11. joelgoodson

joelgoodson Well-Known Member

does anybody know the jacket's year? There's a lot on ebay but with different years.

thanks.

12. division 6

division 6 Master Member

look at post #8

13. leviathan8609

leviathan8609 Member

Nice piece, I dig it, wouldn't mind having one.

14. tk5378

tk5378 Well-Known Member

Korean war, 1950-1953 would be the years you're looking for. Although the jacket was produced in the same style unaltered beyond that.

15. Funky

Funky Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've got the same jacket and if anyone finds the accurate name tape please let me know!

16. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

JAWS.

I have nothing else to contribute but couldn't sleep unless I'd interjected in this thread.

17. Apollo

Apollo Legendary Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Have to look at the movie again but iirc it is just name tape the military uses when you are issued your gear

18. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Want some other Quint gear?

Buy a yellow JAWS t-shirt.

Yes, I **** you not, this is Robert Shaw wearing a Jaws t-shirt. No photoshop, straight up:

[​IMG]

How awesome is that?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  19. Funky

What we really need is the correct size of the tape and a clear screenshot.

20. Funky

This isn't unusual at all. Spielberg had several of these shirts made for the cast and crew. There are pics floating around of Spielberg, Schrider and Dreyfuss wearing theirs as well.

21. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

Funky - it is highly unusual! Shaw footage as Quint is like Nirvana for Jaws fans, the holy grail. This footage only surfaced in the last few weeks and this is my screen cap from it.

Footage of Spielberg and co. in shirts is commonplace. Seeing 'Quint' in a JAWS t-shirt is bloody amazing - trust me! Never been seen before!

22. Apollo

No not at all.

If it is indeed military issue.

23. Apollo

:lol Umm.....TOTALLY!!!!! :lol

First time I have seen that one!!

24. CrowTeeRobot

CrowTeeRobot Active Member

I've been doing some searching for M-51 field jackets, and stumbled across this company (Alpha Industries) that makes brand new replicas of the M-51, sizes Small through XX-Large, they're a bit pricey, but I shopped around and found a bunch of different sites that sell them. They're in brand new condition and cheaper than I've seen used ones through Army Surplus sites.

Alpha Industries Replica M-51 - Jake's Pilot Shop $97

Alpha Industries M-51 Field Coat, Style # MJM41000C1, americanequipage.com, alpha industries cwu, alpha industries n3b $121

Alpha M-51 Field Coat - Shop Online & Save! $125

Glen's Army Navy Store - Alpha Industries M-51 Field Jacket - MJM41000C1 $129.65

Alpha: Olive Drab - Military Style M-51 Jacket - Army Navy Store $159.99

Military Field Jackets, M-65, M-1943 (M-43), from U.S. Wings $165

Alpha Industries Replica M-51 Field Coat (Alpha Industries MJM41000C1), Military Field Coats, Field Jackets, M-65, M65, M 65, Army field coat, Marine jacket, camo jacket $176

They're all the same jacket, by the same company, I just wanted to show all the different sites that sell them, in case one sells out etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 19, 2012
  25. JANDERS10

JANDERS10 Well-Known Member

Necro post for being incredibly cool !

26. JurassicSound

JurassicSound New Member

I'm with the previous commenters.
    you're looking for a Mid 50s Korean War field jacket
    here is mine
    quint.jpg sincerely,
    Corey

27. Gimpdiggity

Gimpdiggity Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

I've never realized how much I wanted one of these before viewing this post.

"JAWS" is one of my all time favorite movies...looks like it's time to hit the Bay to find one that fits me...then another mannequin to put the outfit on and set in the movie room when I get it done.

28. nightowl12020

nightowl12020 Member

I still have my old issued jacket but it won't work, it's from the 70's. Different collar and cuffs. I always wondered though. Why was he in an Army jacket, it should have been a Navy Deck jacket, unless he went into the Army after WWII.

29. Doh2

Doh2 Sr Member

Raising this from the dead...

I was able to score a vintage M-1951 in a thrift store last week in practically mint condition! It's a medium, and as mentioned above, they run large (I have a gut so was pleasantly surprised this fits me). The place I got it (Iguana in Hollywood) had plenty of smalls, but I think I snagged their last medium.

44413928082_caba795251_z.jpg

Been doing some research on the name tag and made some screengrabs. It appears to be a stencil, but not a traditional military font. I found a very close match online, but now I need to track down the proper stencil (the one on my jacket is just a paper one I made as a size test). If all else fails, I'll print out what I found and make my own stencil, the goal being to then paint it onto a suitable piece of cloth. Onscreen, the tag appears to run the width of the pocket (mine is 5.5"), then about 1.5" tall. The actual letters appear to be about 1". Most all stencils I'm finding online come in 1-inch increments, and 2" is clearly too big.

43745545364_ec8ac0c91b_k.jpg

44463539441_28b472b776_z.jpg

The hunt continues...

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  30. 1badf350

1badf350 New Member

I remember someone making an almost perfect nametag match by using a piece of canvas cut from an old shoe.

31. Doh2

Doh2 Sr Member

Thanks for the canvas tip! I have an old canvas bag that I can use for the same purpose.

I picked up a couple of cheap stencil sets this week. Neither is a perfect match, but I'm going to stick with the thicker letters. I might rework the Q as the shape isn't quite right. The rest are good enough. Paper tests here:

43614319945_57336921d4_n.jpg

Oddly enough, I'm having the hardest time finding a green chalkboard! I want one about 24" x 18" but can only find black ones online so far.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018