Questions for Airbrush artists - newbies ask questions!

yes GREAT thread! Please archive
icon_smile.gif

We have the same Passche airbrush mentioned above I think, and while I have never used it myself (I have taken it apart a few times though) I am sure that when I do, I'll be coming right back here for answers!!

I think we also have the same Sears compressor.

Thanks for the education guys
icon_smile.gif

Edit: here's a question:

How do you get an even coat over a large area? Like 2 square ft? When Kim painted hwer haunted mansion plaque, she had a really hard time keeping the paint even since the brush only seems to paint in about 1/4" wide swaths...

thanks again!

-cris

While I'm not all that familiar with the Paasche series, I know Iwata uses replaceable nozzles allowing for greater range of spray patterns.

Presumably though, the further you hold the brush from the "canvas", the wider the spray pattern. While it would take several more coats, the outcome should be flat out flawless.

I am far from being an artist, but the difference between can-sprayed and airbrushed is absolutely phenomenal. Unless I am doing a large, single color backround, I am never going back to can-sprayed paint again.

-Fred

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
kimncris wrote:
<HR></TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
How do you get an even coat over a large area? Like 2 square ft? When Kim painted hwer haunted mansion plaque, she had a really hard time keeping the paint even since the brush only seems to paint in about 1/4" wide swaths...

thanks again!

-cris

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

Mine wouldn't paint very wide either, even if you get different caps or nozzles. I think if you want to paint wide areas you need to get one of those larger airbrushes like you paint cars with. They have a wider spray pattern.

My Paasche VL came with 3 different needles and accompanying nozzles...I think they are 3, 4, and 5. You want to use the 5 for the largest spray area. Switching out the needle and nozzle are very easy to do. Just check your instructions.

Sean

</SPAN><TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
Sluis Van Shipyards wrote:
<TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD CLASS=$row_color>
kimncris wrote:

thanks again!

-cris

</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE>

Mine wouldn't paint very wide either, even if you get different caps or nozzles. I think if you want to paint wide areas you need to get one of those larger airbrushes like you paint cars with. They have a wider spray pattern.
</TD></TR><TR><TD><HR></TD></TR></TABLE><SPAN CLASS=$row_color>

I think those automotive sprayers are bit of overkill.

The cheapest is probably an Iwata RG-3 which would run about $300 for the brush and 1mm cap conversion. It would give you a 2 1/2" spray pattern. It normally comes with a .6mm and a 4 oz gravity feed for $220 (as opposed to the Eclipse which has a .5mm and siphon feed for $85).

Larger ones will run closer to $500 (Iwata W-400 with 1.4mm nozzle and 21oz gravity feed), but will cover a 12" spray pattern.

I'll just stick doing multiple coats until AFTER I win the lotto
icon_lol.gif

-Fred

P.S. How do I go about getting this thread archived so we don't lose all this for later generations
icon_smile.gif

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back