Prometheus (Post-release)

Really any movie can be dissected to an amazing degree. I love Aliens but there are some really dumb moments that I have chosen to ignore.

Ferro telling Spunkmeyer to ignore the alien goo he just stuck his hand in after they left the dropship ramp open for god knows how long on a planet that possibly contains very hostile life forms.

The plans of the complex that either doesn’t contain details on the area above the ceiling or that no one bothered to look at too closely.

Burke releasing not one but two very fast facehuggers from the tubes without getting the head squeeze. What did he use, a long pole?

The number of aliens seems to exceed the number of colonists. Were there twins?

The fact that Hudson just won’t shut the hell up.

The APC that’s clearly bigger on the inside than the outside.

I guess it just depends on how closely you want to look at a particular movie.

Really any movie can be dissected to an amazing degree. I love Aliens but there are some really dumb moments that I have chosen to ignore.

Ferro telling Spunkmeyer to ignore the alien goo he just stuck his hand in after they left the dropship ramp open for god knows how long on a planet that possibly contains very hostile life forms.

The plans of the complex that either doesn’t contain details on the area above the ceiling or that no one bothered to look at too closely.

Burke releasing not one but two very fast facehuggers from the tubes without getting the head squeeze. What did he use, a long pole?

The number of aliens seems to exceed the number of colonists. Were there twins?

The fact that Hudson just won’t shut the hell up.

The APC that’s clearly bigger on the inside than the outside.

I guess it just depends on how closely you want to look at a particular movie.

1. Ferro didn't know about the Alien goo, She just needed him to get to his pilot seat so they could go, Spunkmeyer never got the chance to tell her why he was delayed

2. the rafters probably weren't in the plans as there would really be no need for them to be

3.Burke could have placed both containers upright then pushed them over at the same time and ran out of the room...The falling containers would disorient the Facehuggers enough, along with the push of the water, and give him enough time to close the door

4. there were over 150 colonists... I don't think we seen that many

5. no, Hudson never shuts up

6. and yes, the APC is bigger on the inside :lol

Last edited:
And right there you see the justifications created over time for those plot holes, either real or presumed. It happens with just about every good sci-fi film.

Once people see Prom a few times most of what they thought were plot holes will disappear when they finally see details they missed the first time around while they were looking for pulse rifles or face huggers hidden in the background (kidding :) ), and the few real ones will be ignored, just like they have been with Alien, Aliens, and some of the huge stinkers in Blade Runner.

Sounds a lot like this: "empty bag of tricks whose production values and expensive trickery cannot disguise imaginative poverty", and thats from one review of Alien when it was released. Blade Runner got the same when released.

Reviewers are like eunuchs, they know how it should be done, but cant do it themselves.

This reviewer matches my opinion pretty spot on and that is said with the fact that I saw Blade Runner and ALIEN in theaters when they opened as I did see this and I was in love with them right away. Granted I was younger and not a jaded adult. LOL
ALIEN was a hit, Blade Runner was not and I championed Blade Runner for years before it caught on what a masterpiece it really was. It was I think more easily looked over in a Sci Fi explosion at that time and it's themes were not the kind that beat you over the head with them. There were reasons why it didn't get high praise right away.

What kind of professionals behave like this crew did in the face of such remarkable monumental and potentially dangerous things? It's just kills my concern or believabiilty for anyone but the android since he had to suffer all these douches and foolish people around him. I'm glad he survived. He is one reason I will want to see what happens to him next.

Also I think the humanoids are not the engineers proper yet.
I think they were pretty much Borgish weapons systems themselves and we never saw a female either. So I still think were our own grandpa is where this is all going eventually.

1. Ferro didn't know about the Alien goo, She just needed him to get to his pilot seat so they could go, Spunkmeyer never got the chance to tell her why he was delayed

2. the rafters probably weren't in the plans as there would really be no need for them to be

3.Burke could have placed both containers upright then pushed them over at the same time and ran out of the room...The falling containers would disorient the Facehuggers enough, along with the push of the water, and give him enough time to close the door

4. there were over 150 colonists... I don't think we seen that many

5. no, Hudson never shuts up

6. and yes, the APC is bigger on the inside :lol

1. But wouldn't you think Spunkmeyer would have said something? Just seems kind odd with these supposedly highly trained soldiers. But then none of them seemed to take things very seriously until they got their asses kicked. Lack of training? Lazy writing? A need to create drama?

2. But there was clearly an access point. Seems like that would be on the plans.

3. Ripley and Newt wouldn't have overheard all that noise?

4. Sorry I was thinking of the extended version where the smart guns use enough ammo to take out at least that many aliens.

My point is that you can interpret plot points like this to the end of the world. It's all "from a certain point of view". :lol

Just saw Avengers - that movie has the solution to having zero plot holes - have zero plot :lol

If that is what people are finding a perfect movie going experience, I'm on the wrong planet.

The same criticisms of the Prometheus crew can be directed to most of the Nostromo crew. Like Brett and Parker graduated top of the class at Starfleet, show me the money, Lambert, over the moon about exploring an Alien vehicle, Why me?, Dallas showed great courage and level headedness in his final moments, I wanna get the hell outta here. That leaves Ripley and Ash, hmmmm.
That seemed to go over fairly well though.

How could i forget Kane? His actions speak for themselves.

Last edited:
Some interesting snippets from reviews.

“It is depressing to watch an expensive, crafty movie that never soars beyond its cold desire to score the big bucks.”

"empty bag of tricks whose production values and expensive trickery cannot disguise imaginative poverty"

"There is very little involvement with the characters themselves ... A generally good cast in cardboard roles."

"Still, a lot of people are going to resent being put through the mill for a silly movie. And in a way, I agree with them. If only it were as sophisticated as it looks. I'm getting a little tired of movies that honor genre conventions with such humility that they're unwilling to expand upon them. Couldn't the film have stretched a little? Couldn't it have explored the psychology of its characters or maybe nosed into their relationships? The worst of it is that the film keeps falling back on the hoariest monster-movie cliches, for no apparent reason other than to do them homage."

"Has the usual number of inconsistencies, improbabilities and outright absurdities characteristic of the sci-fi and horror genres. What is interesting, though, is its hostile critical reception, despite the excellent visual values, direction that is no more hokey than usual in such films, dialogue that (when it is decipherable) is par for the course."

"The price paid for the excitement, and it's a small one, is that there is very little involvement with the characters themselves"

"Forget Plot and characters, nuance and social signifiicance; these sci-fi movies overwhelm you with production values alone -- sets, props, lighting and photography: the spectacle of the fanciful turned convincing"

“There’s nothing terribly complex or original about the movie, but it is distinguished by its clever and innovative use of B-movie staples in a hi-tech setting.”

"Though it is not the seminal science-fiction film one wants from him, it's executed with a good deal of no-nonsense verve. The members of the cast... the roles might have been written by a computer.

"It does not sound like anything new...voracious alien who is defeated at last moment...Script has more loose ends than the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"In outline, this tale....sounds just plain silly, and the story line here is no more sophisticated than dozens of Star Trek and Outer Limits TV shows."

"Skulking about in space suits that a 19th-century futurist might have dreamed up --chivalric armor topped by a Jules Verne bubble"

"sets and special effects are well done, but these things no longer surprise or tantalize us as they once did"

"What is missing is wit, imagination and the vaguest hint of human feeling. Luckily for the creators, such ingredients are not really essential at the nation's box offices, especially during the sunstroke season."

"An overblown B-movie... technically impressive but awfully portentous and as difficult to sit through as a Black Mass sung in Latin"

"(the film) is an extremely small, rather decent movie of its modest kind, set inside a large, extremely fancy physical production. Don't race to it expecting wit or metaphysical pretentions"

"Since the movie's generally good actors all play equally bland technicians, it is hard to make an emotional investment...Indeed, the film's characters are so lifeless that one begins to wonder whether they might not be parodies of space-age bureaucrats. If so, the satire is far too flat to be its own reward."

"you wonder if the director's lost his mind"

Those are all for the original Alien, by the way :)

Last edited:

“It is depressing to watch an expensive, crafty movie that never soars beyond its cold desire to score the big bucks.”

"empty bag of tricks whose production values and expensive trickery cannot disguise imaginative poverty"

"There is very little involvement with the characters themselves ... A generally good cast in cardboard roles."

"Still, a lot of people are going to resent being put through the mill for a silly movie. And in a way, I agree with them. If only it were as sophisticated as it looks. I'm getting a little tired of movies that honor genre conventions with such humility that they're unwilling to expand upon them. Couldn't the film have stretched a little? Couldn't it have explored the psychology of its characters or maybe nosed into their relationships? The worst of it is that the film keeps falling back on the hoariest monster-movie cliches, for no apparent reason other than to do them homage."

"Has the usual number of inconsistencies, improbabilities and outright absurdities characteristic of the sci-fi and horror genres. What is interesting, though, is its hostile critical reception, despite the excellent visual values, direction that is no more hokey than usual in such films, dialogue that (when it is decipherable) is par for the course."

"The price paid for the excitement, and it's a small one, is that there is very little involvement with the characters themselves"

"Forget Plot and characters, nuance and social signifiicance; these sci-fi movies overwhelm you with production values alone -- sets, props, lighting and photography: the spectacle of the fanciful turned convincing"

“There’s nothing terribly complex or original about the movie, but it is distinguished by its clever and innovative use of B-movie staples in a hi-tech setting.”

"Though it is not the seminal science-fiction film one wants from him, it's executed with a good deal of no-nonsense verve. The members of the cast... the roles might have been written by a computer.

"It does not sound like anything new...voracious alien who is defeated at last moment...Script has more loose ends than the Pittsburgh Steelers.

"In outline, this tale....sounds just plain silly, and the story line here is no more sophisticated than dozens of Star Trek and Outer Limits TV shows."

"Skulking about in space suits that a 19th-century futurist might have dreamed up --chivalric armor topped by a Jules Verne bubble"

"sets and special effects are well done, but these things no longer surprise or tantalize us as they once did"

"What is missing is wit, imagination and the vaguest hint of human feeling. Luckily for the creators, such ingredients are not really essential at the nation's box offices, especially during the sunstroke season."

"An overblown B-movie... technically impressive but awfully portentous and as difficult to sit through as a Black Mass sung in Latin"

"(the film) is an extremely small, rather decent movie of its modest kind, set inside a large, extremely fancy physical production. Don't race to it expecting wit or metaphysical pretentions"

"Since the movie's generally good actors all play equally bland technicians, it is hard to make an emotional investment...Indeed, the film's characters are so lifeless that one begins to wonder whether they might not be parodies of space-age bureaucrats. If so, the satire is far too flat to be its own reward."

Hilarious.:lol
For me thats where the portly lass enters from stage right and approaches the spotlight.

from boxofficemojo.com...

Prometheus
held on to second place, though it plummeted 73 percent to $5.83 million. That's a much steeper Friday-to-Friday decline than Super 8 (51 percent) or Inception (40 percent), and it was also remarkably a tad below last June's front-loaded intergalactic adventure Green Lantern (72 percent). Prometheus has now earned $74.5 million overall, and it should grab close to $20 million for the weekend.

yeouch, i was hoping it did well enough for a sequel, but with a 75% drop in the 2nd week...

All I know is I felt bad when Brett, Parker and others were lost, you we're rooting for them to beat that mother. They felt real to me, time was spent showing a realistic human side. Around the table while eating, griping about day to day job issues, expressing a sense of humor. Your freaked out while Dallas is crawling around in darkness. Dallas had a real presence as the ships Captain. Real horror when you see that damn thing for two seconds with arms outstreched, Lambert near total breakdown really sold several scenes on a very human base level. And it all still works today.

Prometheus didn't connect at all like that with me.

Prometheus
held on to second place, though it plummeted 73 percent to $5.83 million. That's a much steeper Friday-to-Friday decline than Super 8 (51 percent) or Inception (40 percent), and it was also remarkably a tad below last June's front-loaded intergalactic adventure Green Lantern (72 percent). Prometheus has now earned $74.5 million overall, and it should grab close to $20 million for the weekend.

yeouch, i was hoping it did well enough for a sequel, but with a 75% drop in the 2nd week...

Average figures, I told him to put a Vampire or Wizard in it.:facepalm
I think/hope the Blu Ray/DVD sales might just get that sequel over the line. Hear theres a special edition with no cover for those who want to sneak one home.:love

Thanks for a great post, and that was exactly what I ment earlier.:thumbsup

I bet Prometheus will be discussed years from now. Maybe not regarded a huge classic like Alien, but it will be discussed and analysed.

Well, I don't want to nitpick and write out all the elapsed time in detail, but we are only taking about a span of a few minutes here, and people have made a huge debate over it. Based on the hologram layout and scale, it was only about a ten minute walk to the outside, 5 minutes at a run, and another 2 in the vehicles. Fifield and Milburn had a four minute lead, walking.

I'm not quite sure what your argument is. It seems you're more addressing the point about them wandering around for hours after missing the exit - is that the issue most commenters have a beef with? It's not mine by any means; if I was stuck there I'd want to see as much as possible, whether or not that jarred with my character's establishing scenes. :lol

For me the issue is that they get lost in the first place. They announce they're headed back to the ship and they head off - the ampule room is indeed only a few hundred feet into the structure and they should have been out quite rapidly, but they do get lost. Yes, they're written as idiots, but we don't know it at this point in the film and this plays as the film itself being dumb more than it does the characters.

Heck, just their choice to flee in the first place is quite jarring. The first time I saw the film I just gaped when Milburn expressed agreement with Fifield; I expected him to ridicule the idea. But of all the available characters, they put that sentiment in the mouth of the expedition's *biologist*!?! The single guy who should have been the most excited of all of them, even counting Holloway and Shaw? That's simply a mistake. Okay - he's a regular Joe not an Inner Circle member but then again if he's a biologist on a starship, he's ipso facto an exobiologist. Milburn should have been thinking "Oh. My. God. I have the Nobel Prize completely sewn up, don't I?!". Instead we get him and Fifield being portrayed as so dumb it's hard to see how they could have attained their qualifications. Are they rocking fake diplomas? :lol

And then to have them get lost on a five-minute walk - well, okay, I guess at that point the fact they're written as expendable dumbarses starts to become unavoidable. I just wish that 'expendable' didn't have to equal 'complete and utter idiot' in Scott and Lindelof's thinking. The secondary characters could still have served the plot without being this distractingly, aggravatingly, suspension-of-disbelief-destroyingly stupid.

There's a lot in the film that is worth debating and defending, but this one I'm letting through to the keeper!

Prometheus held on to second place, though it plummeted 73 percent to $5.83 million. That's a much steeper Friday-to-Friday decline than Super 8 (51 percent) or Inception (40 percent), and it was also remarkably a tad below last June's front-loaded intergalactic adventure Green Lantern (72 percent). Prometheus has now earned $74.5 million overall, and it should grab close to $20 million for the weekend.

Don't forget the foreign take which is $97,736,717 more than the U.S. for a total $167,219,717.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back