Project: Revell AT-AT Walker

This is not merely a simple make-over but a complete overhaul of that Revell AT-AT ... wonderful work in progress :)

Chaim

Will you go as far as to be able to 'animate' the AT-AT's legs ... with proper adjustable joints and so? :wacko

Chaim

That's the plan anyways. If everything works out, I would like to do a simple walk cycle. But there is still more to do. I'm milling out the legs at the moment, which is very time consuming. Then, it's a matter of making all the parts work with each other. :unsure

Pro-job man! Defo love that build. It would be nice, indeed, to have it for a "simple" walk cycle...but it's not that simple. Anyway, the beast is coming along fine as I see it:cool

Thanks joberg. I know it's not going to be easy. Far from it. But as far as I know, no one has yet constructed a fully articulated AT-AT and got it to animate.

Hello Gang. Another update as promised.

THE LEG BASE BLOCK and PANEL

022 revell 01.JPG 022 revell 03.JPG
I made up a template to go by and transferred it to a piece of styrene.

022 revell 04.JPG
I then started to add the greeblies and bits.

022 revell 05.JPG
Opps!! I Goofed when I should of Gaffed. Notice the two parts on opposites sides of the center Round Thing????

022 revell 06.JPG
....they should be switched. That's better.

022 revell 07.JPG
I also did the Leg Base Block, that attaches to the Main Chassis. Those four cylinders sticking out are for the Hips/Legs.

022 revell 08.JPG
I drilled out the holes for the Joint Bases.

022 revell 09.JPG
I did a test fitting. Everything looks okay.

022 revell 10.JPG
All primed.

More to come......

Last edited:
THE LOWER FOOT SHELL

I worked on the Lower Foot Shell, which in the end, have to make a mold of using silicon rubber. From that, I'll cast the four parts using regular polyester resin. I think they'll be thin enough to avoid any shrinkage.

023 revell 01.JPG
I used a 2" tube for the inner core.

023 revell 02.JPG 023 revell 03.JPG
I then used the shell from the Revell kit and applied plumber's paste as a filler.

023 revell 04.JPG 023 revell 05.JPG 023 revell 06.JPG
I popped out the 2" tube and cleaned it up. Because the shell wasn't wide enough, I added layers of styrene to build it up.

023 revell 07.JPG 023 revell 08.JPG
I then drew in the panel lines and scribed them. I still need to cut out the toes slots and add on the greeblies.

023 revell 09.JPG 023 revell 10.JPG
After more carving and cutting, I got to this.

023 revell 11.JPG
Next, I added the greeblies. I'll have to wait until I have the Foot Support Rods figured out to continue.

Until then.

THE FOOT SUPPORT RODS

Speaking of the support rods, it'll require some basic rods and tubes. The biggest trick is to find 'ball heads' or something similar to connect to the Ankles and the Lower Foot Shells.

024 revell 01.JPG
For the top connector, I'll have to bore out a round chamber in small aluminum rods to accommodate the ball that attaches to the Ankles.

024 revell 02.JPG
The base of this mechanisms will eventually be attached to the Lower Foot Shells.

024 revell 03.JPG
For the ball 'n' socket bases, I found these 'ball head' screws used on cupboard doors. Unfortunately, I only have three and I need four. Grrrr.

I might have to come up something else or do more searching in my local area. This will be a work in progress.

In the meantime.............

NEXT, will be the fun stuff. THE LEGS!!! :rolleyes GULP!!!

A very cool build of my favorite movie model. I hope you succeed in making it animatable. (Not sure that's a real word?) Well done so far! Subscribed...

Hey Wayne,

Check out your local RC Hobby store. I think they use similar screws for either RC aircraft or vehicle linkages. I think they're known as ball studs.

TazMan2000

A very cool build of my favorite movie model. I hope you succeed in making it animatable. (Not sure that's a real word?) Well done so far! Subscribed...

Thanks VFX Freak. It should be interesting if it works out. BTW, I use 'animatable' so I would say it's safe to use.

Cheers, :D

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Wayne,

Check out your local RC Hobby store. I think they use similar screws for either RC aircraft or vehicle linkages. I think they're known as ball studs.

TazMan2000

RC Stores, of course. I believe we have one in our town. Thanks Taz.

THE LEGS Part I

Well, it's been a while. I apologize for not updating sooner, but I've been feverishly working on the legs for the last three months.

So. Let's get started shall we?

Prepping.

Before I started on the legs, I needed to figure out how I'm going to pull off these complex shapes with my limited skills and budget.

I got the following tools:

- Drill Press
- Compound Table
- Drill Press Vise
- Rotary Table
- End Mills
- Dremel Bits
- Drill Bits
- Taps
- Metal Files
- Hack Saw
- Cutting Oil
- Marker Pens
- Ruler
- Sand Paper
- Wood/Metal Blocks
- Clamps
- X-Acto Knife
- Tooth Picks

prep 01.JPG
For milling the straight edges and channels, I thought the Proxxon 27100 Micro Compound Table was good choice for the job. It was quite inexpensive and small enough to mount to the drill press table.

prep 02.JPG
Next, the drill press. I found this unit at a local flea market. It wasn't expensive, so if I destroy it, it won't break the bank.

prep 03.JPG
I also needed a vise for the drill press. I bought this one from a hardware store for $30. It's not the best, but it's working out just fine.

prep 04.JPG
For a rotary table, I thought I'd make it myself. I took a square block of 3/8 aluminum and drew up what I needed on the top side.

prep 05.JPG
I then cut off the corners, shaped it and made a base for it, so it can be mounted to the compound table.

prep 06.JPG
This is how the rotary table will used with the parts. As I rotate the table, w/the part, the end mill will shave off metal.

prep 07.JPG
Here it is on the drill press/compound table ready for work.

NEXT, will be the materials needed to for the legs.

THE LEGS Part II

From my research and plans, I'd determined I needed the following gauges of aluminum to make the main leg parts.

Blocks and Sheets:
1/8 - Leg Tension
3/16 - Hip Plates, Lower Foot Caps and Lower Foot Bases and Toes
1/4 - Upper and Lower Legs
3/8 - Horse Shoes, Ankles
1mm - Fly Wheels, Upper Foot Bases
2mm - Caps, Brackets and Panels

block 01.JPG block 02.JPG
I got the main blocks cut for me by my local supplier. These blocks consist of 3/16, 1/4 and 3/8 gauges.

block 03.JPG block 04.JPG block 05.JPG
Next were the Caps, Brackets, Panels, Leg Tensions and Horse Shoes. Along with the Fly Wheels and Toes.

block 06.JPG block 07.JPG block 08.JPG
Then, the task of cutting them down to a manageable level was required, so it'll be easier for milling.

block 11.JPG
I started with the less difficult parts by simply using a coarse file.

block 12.JPG block 13.JPG
An assortment of aluminum rods were needed for the Joints, Pins, Caps and Foot parts.

block 14.JPG block 15.JPG
On the left, are parts for the Body_Hip Joints and the right, the Lower Foot Chamber.

NEXT, let's start making legs.

THE LEGS Part III

The Hip Plates.

hip 01.JPG
I used a coarse file to round off the corners to make it easier for milling.

hip 03.JPG hip 04.JPG hip 05.JPG hip 07.JPG
Then, I mounted the Hip Plates to the rotary table. Using the center pin as a pivot, I was able to mill the curved ends. For the straight edges, I removed the rotary table and used the compound table and milled them in the same manner.

hip 08.JPG
Next, I milled the slanted slots and cut out the notches for the Joint Tension bolts.

hip 09.JPG
I drilled the joint holes for the Body_Hip Joints and Upper Legs. I used a 1/2 bit for both.

hip 10.JPG
For the Body_Hip Joint, I milled them to a 5/8 diameter. These particular joint holes is larger than the Upper Legs.

hip 11.JPG hip 12.JPG
To finish them off, I cut slits for the Joint Tensions and drilled the correct holes for the Guide Pins.

NEXT, the Upper Legs. Please stay tuned.....:D

THE LEGS Part IV

The Upper Legs.

upper leg 01.JPG
I milled the Upper Legs in the same manner as the Hip Plates.

upper leg 02.JPG
To get any tough spots, I just used hand files.

upper leg 03.JPG upper leg 04.JPG upper leg 05.JPG
To mill the Knee Joints, I thought of cutting grooves along each joint as it might make easy for me to mill them in sections.

upper leg 06.JPG
I believe it worked quite well. For the areas in upper knee, I used the rotary table to mill those portions out.

upper leg 07.JPG
Next, I milled the 'round cavity' in the center of the legs. Again I using the rotary table.

upper leg 08.JPG
The cores were milled off later.

upper leg 09.JPG
The large curved channels were next. I used a 3/8 end mill to mill that portion out.

upper leg 10.JPG
You can see it here. I drilled guide holes and did the Guide Pin slots in the same fashion.

upper leg 12.JPG upper leg 13.JPG
The Piston channels were simply milled in a straight line using a 3/16 end mill.

upper leg 14.JPG
I did some cleaning afterwards by using a dremel tool and hand files.

upper leg 15.JPG
I drilled two small holes at the bottom of the Piston channels, so I can mount the Piston Rails.

upper leg 16.JPG upper leg 17.JPG
During my work, I discovered some issues concerning the Knee Joints which required me to alter my design. I had to enlarge the Knee Joint holes from 1/2 to 5/8 and install 5/8 copper rings. The Knee Joint holes on the Lower Legs had to be enlarged as well.

NEXT, will be the Lower Legs. These were done similar to the Upper Legs.

THE LEGS Part V

The Lower Legs.

lower leg 01.JPG
The Lower Legs were very straight forward when it came to milling.

lower leg 02.JPG lower leg 03.JPG
The outer channels were milled using a 5/16 rotary bit. It milled quite cleanly.

lower leg 04.JPG
Next, I did the narrow channels on the inside of the legs. They'll be hidden by the Leg Brackets, but I included them in my design. Supposedly, they were on the studio model.

lower leg 05.JPG lower leg 06.JPG lower leg 07.JPG
Like the Knee Joints on the Upper Legs, I did those the same way.

lower leg 08.JPG
I drilled 1/2 holes for the knee joints, but I'd enlarged them later on.

lower leg 09.JPG lower leg 10.JPG
Lastly, I milled the curved indents in the lower part of the legs. These indents are to accommodate the Horse Shoes inside the Ankles.

TO BE CONTINUED. The Ankles are next.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back