Project Mercury Launch Complex and Atlas rocket

Built a counterweight for the elevator today--

51417511552_3ef2963a58_b.jpg

Today I--
  • Cleaned up the counterweight and added final details.
  • Did a quick pass with file and sandpaper over the elevator vestibules.
  • Brushed Mr. Surfacer over the hairline seams in the ducts.
  • Added forty rivets to the stairwell.
  • Added hinged flaps to station 91.
  • And cut the styrene for the station 99 sidewalls.

51420314336_326be76db1_b.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you, joberg!

Today was like yesterday: a lot of little things. The service structure build is starting to wind down and pretty soon it'll be at the primer stage.

First I organized and labelled all subassemblies.

51421647732_ef116aac0a_b.jpg

Then I trimmed 1/8" of L-channel off eight sections of lift siding as it wouldn't quite fit.

51423380765_4934556860_b.jpg

And lastly I added the four remaining hinges to station 107.

51422392811_00bd360c5a_b.jpg

Last edited:
Gee...and how much of all those wonderful details will show on screen:unsure:(y)(y):notworthy::notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

Did my wife tell you to ask me that?

In all frankness, I don't know. We have the critical shots storyboarded, and for those I know which portions of the service structure will be in frame and in focus. But after having devoted years to this project, I've decided that once those shots are in the can, my crew and I will be at liberty to shoot whatever else occurs to us. So for that reason I'm adding a base level of detail all over.

Did my wife tell you to ask me that?

In all frankness, I don't know. We have the critical shots storyboarded, and for those I know which portions of the service structure will be in frame and in focus. But after having devoted years to this project, I've decided that once those shots are in the can, my crew and I will be at liberty to shoot whatever else occurs to us. So for that reason I'm adding a base level of detail all over.
I understand the process of ``better be safe than sorry`` kind of thinking. As you said, just in case additional footage might be shot, showing other details in the process. And yes, the wife is always asking that same question, every time I show her your build:lol:

Big news: Our VFX shoot has been pencilled in for November 1st through 15th. Yes, it's finally happening!

I've now moved on to the detail portion of the build. First I pored over all the hi-res shots of the service structure and compiled the details it will be necessary to add. At last count, there are seventy-three unique details, half of them nuts, bolts, pipes, conduits, and wires (and thus relatively easy to do). I then bought all the **** I'd need (including about a nautical mile of brass tubing) and got down to it.

Here's my bench at day's end. I'm starting with the "bunkhouse" and working my way down. Seven details in the bag already.

51469947085_b8c303e7d1_b.jpg

And here's an example of an annotated hi-res shot. This is from an Agena mission that occurred after Project Mercury had ended, so a lot of the mods made to the service structure won't be present on my build.

51469003786_a83e2447ae_b.jpg

Yesterday I revised the VFX shot list and, based on framing, struck any details from the to-do list that won't be seen in frame. Managed to lose over a third. It felt good.

Not shown here, but today I began by tweaking the fit on stations 67 to 91 (a matter of shimming here and there).

Then I added postholes, hinges, and check plating to station 115. Seen here down ...

51480262658_a5cc37c325_b.jpg

... and here up.

51480262668_060ce74a5a_b.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back