Project K9 (Update 5/26/07)

<div align="center">3/25/07 Button Panel Work</div>
Continuing the tradition of a little progress at a time, today work included cutting out the back panel. This will allow the back buttons and lights to be removed in one piece giving some access to the internal workings from the top, as well as matching the most recent design on "School Reunion" which had the buttons mounted on a removable sheet.

<div align="center">
03-25-07-K9C.jpg
</div>

A thin sheet of aluminum has been cut and I spent some time bending it to fit to the top of the panel. I hope to have the time this week to scribe out where the button holes should be drilled and work out the two red light holes for the upper piece of the panel. Some body work will be necessary to close a few gaps, as the body still isn't perfectly square, but pretty close.

<div align="center">
03-25-07-K9D.jpg
</div>

For a little bit of scaling, I set next to the body two toy K9s available on the market. The first is a RC 2" K9 that came with a Doctor Who figure, the second the Character Options 1/4 scale RC toy.

<div align="center">
03-25-07-K9B.jpg
</div>

<div align="center">4/1/07 - Some Pretty Decent Progress</div>
Today, a decent amount of progress, for me at least. I got all the holes drilled and cleared for the 12 button matrix on the back of the body. There's a little play with their positioning, so they can stand to move a hair direction in some spots, so while one or two seem a little cockeyed, they'll adjust and line up. I was in a rush getting this picture done before I had an appointment to run to.

<div align="center">
04-01-07-K9-5.jpg
</div>

Next week, cutting and preparing the two large red lights, and drilling holes for mounting the panel.

4/6/07 - Reworked the Panel
Worked on a new panel, I didn't like the first version, so I redid it and drilled holes for two of the screws to attach the panel to the body. I got some machine screws and drilled the holes for two lower screws and drilled into the body to insert a mounting back so the screws attach to tapped metal brackets. This way it can be removed or reattached as needed without wearing out the resin. I also scribed and started drilling and cutting the holes for the two large red lights.

<div align="center">
04-06-07-K9-A.jpg

04-06-07-K9-B.jpg
</div>

The green paint is an automotive primer, which etches into the aluminum plate and keeps it from flaking off.

K-9 is looking great. Are planning a voice chip also? I love seeing such wonderful props coming together.

Re: Project K9 (Update 4/6/07)

How's K-9 going?

Slow, unfortunately, but here's a minor update.

5/12/07 - Small Progress Every Time
As I like to say, I'm on schedule to have this complete in 2010. Today got the red lights on the panel cut out and cleaned. With the entire panel cut, I finished up with the acid etching primer paint, then followed up with a grey primer on top of that. The red is actually just a white piece of paper taped to the back of the panel, and then shaded red with Photoshop. Last thing to do with the panel will be to finish the mounting of the top edge. Slowly but surely, this tin dog is coming into picture!

05-12-07-K9-A.jpg

05-12-07-K9-B.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Project K9 (Update 5/12/07)

5/26/07 - Monitor Cut
Long weekend, so more time and motivation to work on this Tin Dog. I got the side monitor panel cut and sanded. I may need to do a little bit more cleanup, but here it is with a piece of black cardboard fit against the inside of it!

05-26-07-K9-F.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back