Project K9 (Update 5/26/07)

Still no progress on this, a lot of my time recently has been taken up finishing my Alien head. It's only taken two and a half years, but it'll be finally done soon. Once done with that, I'm going to be diving into K9 a lot more.

<div class='quotetop'>(Kerr Avon @ May 9 2006, 12:18 AM) [snapback]1240998[/snapback]</div>
Today I received and ripped open something I've been hunting down for years. Some people like R2D2, Robby, the B9, or other robots, but for me, there's only K9, the mechanical canine companion to the Doctor's fourth regeneration and to Sarah Jane Smith.

<div align="center">
05-08-06-ProjectK9-01.jpg

I'm going to be documenting the building of K9 on my site, here as I go from raw kit to complete and RC controlled K9.
[/b][/quote]
Are there any recient pics, or a web address of your build?

<div class='quotetop'>(Kerr Avon @ Jul 27 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]1289184[/snapback]</div>
Still no progress on this, a lot of my time recently has been taken up finishing my Alien head. It's only taken two and a half years, but it'll be finally done soon. Once done with that, I'm going to be diving into K9 a lot more.
[/b]

Found some great switches at all electronics:

All Electronics has 1" square buttons that look like a great match for
the control panel:

http://www.allelectronics.com/matrix/illum...ushbuttons.html

at less than $4 each it looks like a great deal.

Andy

Check out my K9 build here:

http://www.astromechbuilder.com/mechloader...9+Build/Day+12/

<div class='quotetop'>(amigaman @ Aug 21 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]1304565[/snapback]</div>

Nice work on yours. I've located all the buttons and while those you put links for are good, they aren't 100% accurate. I'm going to go with the accurate ones, even with cost issues. Sadly, with everything gearing up for Dragon Con and a heavy work schedule, I've not had time yet. I'm just finishing up some other projects I had on back burner (Alien head, Replicator, other stuff) and will be able to devote more time to K9 after Dragon Con.

<div class='quotetop'>(ob1al @ Aug 21 2006, 08:28 PM) [snapback]1304746[/snapback]</div>
I recently met Matt Irvine and managed to take a few pics of K9 - hopefully these are of some use to you:
[/b]

In the words of the Doctor, "FANTASTIC."

I'm archiving those for my build up, very nice pics. Did you get a chance to take him for a drive?

Looking at them closely, what's the switch on his rear next to the handle? Power switch?

Is there a list of off the shelf parts that are accurate?

Thanks for posting the great pics.
I think I may be adding this little fellow to my list.

1/20/07, Has it Been That Long?

Issues were found with the casting I received. The gelcoat on it was practically non existent at some areas, the other side actually had a small hole, there is one side missing the lower lip (as you can see in the first picture), and there was some bowing and warping of some panels as well as several cracks that kept causing issues. Unfortunately, it would have been too much work to try to get the existing body into shape, and I'm not entirely convinced the fiberglass resin entirely cured as it kept causing some of the primer coat to shed.

So what to do? Take that puppy, sand it down, foam fill it, draw in the sides where it was bowed up, reshape some of the legs, fill in the holes and make a new one from what I could salvage.

Some months later, the cleaned up body was cast and today I ran a perfect copy with all the corrections to the body issues. Slush cast in the mold, the body is resin keeping it lightweight and durable. The leg pillars have also been filled with expanding foam to provide greater strength as well as the lower lips being reinforced as well. The raw body came out beautifully. You can see some of the gray primer embedded in the resin that flaked off from the resculpted fiberglass body. However that fiberglass body was run, it just kept shedding primer on it for some reason.

With the body cast, I can start cleaning it up, cutting panels, and fitting hardware when I have time next.

<div align="center">
01-20-06-RawK9-01.jpg

01-20-06-RawK9-02.jpg
</div>

STUNNING piece of work.. I've been following the project closely and really impressed with your quality and detail.

Cyb.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kerr Avon @ Jan 21 2007, 06:30 AM) [snapback]1401718[/snapback]</div>
1/20/07, Has it Been That Long?

Issues were found with the casting I received. The gelcoat on it was practically non existent at some areas, the other side actually had a small hole, there is one side missing the lower lip (as you can see in the first picture), and there was some bowing and warping of some panels as well as several cracks that kept causing issues. Unfortunately, it would have been too much work to try to get the existing body into shape, and I'm not entirely convinced the fiberglass resin entirely cured as it kept causing some of the primer coat to shed.

So what to do? Take that puppy, sand it down, foam fill it, draw in the sides where it was bowed up, reshape some of the legs, fill in the holes and make a new one from what I could salvage.

Some months later, the cleaned up body was cast and today I ran a perfect copy with all the corrections to the body issues. Slush cast in the mold, the body is resin keeping it lightweight and durable. The leg pillars have also been filled with expanding foam to provide greater strength as well as the lower lips being reinforced as well. The raw body came out beautifully. You can see some of the gray primer embedded in the resin that flaked off from the resculpted fiberglass body. However that fiberglass body was run, it just kept shedding primer on it for some reason.

With the body cast, I can start cleaning it up, cutting panels, and fitting hardware when I have time next.

<div align="center">
01-20-06-RawK9-01.jpg

01-20-06-RawK9-02.jpg
[/b][/quote]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cyberman @ Jan 21 2007, 02:10 AM) [snapback]1401732[/snapback]</div>
STUNNING piece of work.. I've been following the project closely and really impressed with your quality and detail.
[/b]

Thanks. I hope to get time to work on it this weekend. I should be able to get the inside cleaned up, get the handles mounted and the tail hole cut as well as some exterior cleanup.

1/27/07, So Happy I Could Waggle His Tail.
A little bit more progress. Some cleanup inside the body to remove the extra foam that bulged out from the leg pillars. Also, I've drilled and placed the hole for the tail boot and the two of the three handles. The Dr Pepper can next to him shows his actual size. More next week if I have the time.

<div align="center">
01-27-07-K9-03.jpg

01-27-07-K9-04.jpg
</div>

Very very cool. Really nice work. Can't wait to see him finished.

Y'know, I've always thought that a fullsize K9 would make a great custom PC case.

I always wanted a full size K-9. Closest I ever got was a 12" version I made out of cardboard when I was like 10 or so. I still have the darn thing. One of these days I'll snap a pic of it.

I would have died to have those photos of K-9 back in the day. I got to see K-9 back in the 80's when the BBC was doing the Doctor's tour of the USA. But he was behind glass and cameras back then took horrible photos. At least I got to meet Jon Pertwee. :)

Right now I've got a little 2" RC K9, I intend to get the 12" RC K9 when I can find him for a decent price in the US, and eventually I'll have this 29" K9 all RC'd up too. :D

You could easily fit a computer in him, but honestly I hardly have enough desk space as is, so I don't want to use up more with his body. Also, you'd need to cut a bunch of holes for ventilation.

Unfortunately next weekend I have some major work tasks that actually spill over during the weekend so I doubt I'll have time to work on him much if at all. If I can, I'm going to cleaning up the inside and the lower lips, and maybe cut the TV display or removable panel.

Interesting project.

The end of the Reunion episode was particularly touching. It's nice to see that there are some K9's running around out there.

Lingarn

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kerr Avon @ Jan 29 2007, 12:31 AM) [snapback]1406907[/snapback]</div>
Right now I've got a little 2" RC K9, I intend to get the 12" RC K9 when I can find him for a decent price in the US, and eventually I'll have this 29" K9 all RC'd up too. :D

You could easily fit a computer in him, but honestly I hardly have enough desk space as is, so I don't want to use up more with his body. Also, you'd need to cut a bunch of holes for ventilation.

Unfortunately next weekend I have some major work tasks that actually spill over during the weekend so I doubt I'll have time to work on him much if at all. If I can, I'm going to cleaning up the inside and the lower lips, and maybe cut the TV display or removable panel.
[/b]

whona has the 16" long RC K9 in stock now :D

3/10/07 A Bit More Progress
Completed adding the third handle today, did some more sanding and cleaning of the body, especially the footprint, and am just about ready to seal the inside of the body where it was foamed on the leg pillars. Also, worked up a possibly temporary collar using a Scottish tartan wrapped around a leather belt 'blank' that I got at a leather shop.

<div align="center">
03-10-07-K9-1.jpg
</div>

A little profile of him. The footprint is still a bit wobbly, but the bumpers will help hide any sign of that.

<div align="center">
03-10-07-K9-2.jpg
</div>

Next I want to start working on the back panel, taking a piece of metal and bending it to the right angle and attaching buttons to it after cutting out the top surface.

Did anyone see the fliptop head that K-9 had in "The Leisure Hive"? It's right at the beginning of the show. Right after he takes a dip into salt water on the beach (thanks to Romana). His ears flip up in the process. It would give good access to the inside of his head.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back