Project K9 (Update 5/26/07)

Discussion in 'Replica Props' started by Kerr Avon, May 8, 2006.

1. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Today I received and ripped open something I've been hunting down for years. Some people like R2D2, Robby, the B9, or other robots, but for me, there's only K9, the mechanical canine companion to the Doctor's fourth regeneration and to Sarah Jane Smith.

<div align="center">
    [​IMG]
    </div>

I'm going to be documenting the building of K9 on my site, here as I go from raw kit to complete and RC controlled K9.

Last edited: May 26, 2007
  2. jedilos

jedilos Well-Known Member

wow where did you get the kit from? I want a k-9 so bad since i was kid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kerr Avon @ May 8 2006, 09:18 PM) [snapback]1240998[/snapback]</div>
    I'm going to be documenting the building of K9 on my site, here as I go from raw kit to complete and RC controlled K9.
    [/b][/quote]

3. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

From over seas. I'm not sure that the person has any more, but this is supposed to have been pulled directly from a Mk II studio mold.

And I know that this may not be the most popular item on the board, but why is the view counter not indicating any views?

4. phase pistol

phase pistol Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

"Affirmative... Master." :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. jedilos

jedilos Well-Known Member

awesome, pm sent,

phase pistol great screen grabs that episode was awesome

6. phase pistol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kerr Avon @ May 9 2006, 01:54 AM) [snapback]1241045[/snapback]</div>
    Is it possible the view counter is busted? I noticed myself that there were threads with zero listed views, even though I KNEW there had to be views.

- k

7. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

Wow that's great, I just watched the same ep "School Reunion" and it was very good is see a certain old friend again.

8. DarthBish

DarthBish Well-Known Member

Oooooooooh...........dimensions please

9. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

There's a really good PDF of dimensions of K9 that I'm going to be adding to my site once I've had a chance to contact the developer of the PDF. It's got everything you'd need to scratch build a body.

10. sapper36

sapper36 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

That's awesome. Looks like a really nice kit should be a joy to finish. You lucky robot dog-owner.

11. SPDOmegaRanger

SPDOmegaRanger Well-Known Member

best dam robot to hit the tv screen :) awesome kerr avon will be watching this project for sure looks kick *

12. Treadwell

Treadwell Master Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Yes, there's something wrong with the hit counter.

Neat acquisition. Love robots.

"Mk II"...does that mean the new show version? Meaning it had to be remade from scratch? Would be interesting to hear the history of the original prop, what happened to it, and its recreation.

13. kalarcana

kalarcana Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ May 9 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]1241271[/snapback]</div>

The Mk I K-9 was left with the 4th Doctor's companion, Leela. The Mk II was left with the 4th Doctor's companion, Romana. The Doctor also sent Sarah Jane Smith another Mk II K-9 as a present.

Rick

14. dropshipbob

dropshipbob Sr Member

Really? Where does the Doctor keep getting them? If I recall, didn't he pick up the first K9 on some space station in the future from an excentric inventor?
    And I thought the episode "School Reunion" was weird in that I didn't remember the Doctor leaving a K9 with Sarah.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kalarcana @ May 9 2006, 05:13 PM) [snapback]1241345[/snapback]</div>

15. Beagle Bill

Beagle Bill Well-Known Member

That is just too cool for words. I always had a soft spot for this little guy, loved the "Reunion" episode. Can't believe you were lucky enough to get a pull from one of the originals. :thumbsup More pictures please. :)

Bill

P.S. Thanks for the awesome screengrabs, Phase Pistol.

16. EdgeofNowhere

EdgeofNowhere Well-Known Member

IIRC, Sarah Jane first got K-9 as a gift in a pilot for a spin-off, "K-9 and Company." And I think he was a mark 3, not a two.

Anyway, Kerr, congrats on finding that body. If the PDF is the one I'm thinking of, it's very good.

17. phase pistol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dropshipbob @ May 9 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]1241400[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, K-9 first appears in the Tom Baker serial "The Invisible Enemy"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-9_(Doctor_Who)

But when something happens to K9 or after he gives one away as a gift, the Doctor always seems to have another one.

Not really a mystery when you recall that the Doctor lives in a time machine that can travel to any point in space at any period in history. He probably just nips back to the 50th century and takes another one. Or the same one, over and over. B)

- k

18. Robot Monster

Robot Monster Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dropshipbob @ May 9 2006, 06:37 PM) [snapback]1241400[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

Time to find K9 and company.

19. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Been adding some information to the parts pages, I've got many pieces on order and I'm going to try to start a little on it this weekend. There's a little bit of fiberglass damage that it received in shipping from overseas.

20. blufive

blufive Sr Member

Very cool.

21. womo68

womo68 Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

wow man. I've always wanted a K9. Thanks for posting your progress.

womo

22. karstva

karstva Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(womo68 @ May 13 2006, 03:42 AM) [snapback]1243489[/snapback]</div>
    Hey Kerr, got your PM, PM'd you back. Twice

23. Starkiller

Starkiller New Member

ThatÂ’s pretty cool. I would love to have a K-9 with actual working "laser". I canÂ’t wait till School Reunion is shown over in the US. Did it already air in the U.K? Because I thought the new Cybermen episode aired this past Saturday. If you did see it, how was the episode?

24. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

"School Reunion" was fantastic. "Rise of the Cyberman" just showed yesterday, I liked it, but SR with K9 and SJS was better. :D

25. Starkiller

Starkiller New Member

26. greatwazoo42

greatwazoo42 Sr Member

"Good dog, K-9." - The Doctor
    "Affirmative." - K-9

"Bad dog." - bad guy
    "Affirmative." - K-9

Loved it.

27. Cyberman

Cyberman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Looks Great..

Show more.... Me likesss :D

Cyb.

28. karstva

karstva Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Cyberman @ May 15 2006, 05:19 PM) [snapback]1244622[/snapback]</div>
    Yup they have been consistently good, new earth was so so, a little to corn ball, but the rest have rocked.

29. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I've got all the parts I've got information for on order and am trying to track down more parts. I didn't get a chance to work on it at all this weekend but will update with photos of the parts when received and I've had a chance to work on it.

30. JRHermle

JRHermle New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Starkiller @ May 15 2006, 09:34 AM) [snapback]1244523[/snapback]</div>
    Although I love the classic, the updated one has sparked my interest.

But do I really want to start a project that's not "real"?

31. Starkiller

Starkiller New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(JRHermle @ May 16 2006, 09:20 AM) [snapback]1245101[/snapback]</div>
    Oh please believe me when I say that I was just kidding.

What surprises me is that the BBC is (seems like) throwing everything into Doctor Who. When originally they try to kill off the show. Not only will we have the new Who, but Torchwood, and the new K-9 Adventures. From a fans point of view its like starving all your life, then to be suddenly given a grand feast. I donÂ’t know if I should be happy or cautiousÂ…

32. xwing_5

xwing_5 New Member

Great kit. Nice work...

33. dkwd

dkwd Well-Known Member

Looking forward to some good measurements of the head.

David

34. jediscout

jediscout Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

Best of luck with your K-9 build.

I grew up watching Dr. Who & loved K-9 too. I can't wait to see how you upgrade him.

35. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

I've got a bunch of parts in this week and I'm going to be cleaning and placing and fitting them this weekend.. should have a little update on Monday.

36. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

Awesome looking kit.

Please post updates and info here: thek9buildersguild · The K.9 Builder's Guild

37. Vaderman

Vaderman Sr Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Zaphod @ Jun 21 2006, 09:02 AM) [snapback]1265171[/snapback]</div>
    Did anyone here ever see the ones offered by ThisPlanetEarth? I guess they don't make them anymore.
    Their Daleks are from original moulds, since they have access, I would think their K-9 would have been also.

That kit looks great, please keep posting information as you progress.

I really liked the new Cybermen. Very cool.

38. Zaphod

Zaphod Well-Known Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Vaderman @ Jun 21 2006, 12:48 PM) [snapback]1265190[/snapback]</div>
    Did anyone here ever see the ones offered by ThisPlanetEarth? I guess they don't make them anymore.
    Their Daleks are from original moulds, since they have access, I would think their K-9 would have been also.

[/b][/quote]
    They used to have them and they were EXPENSIVE. They were discontinued.

39. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Unfortunately not a lot of updates yet. There was some fiberglass damage that I didn't show that's on the other side that needs repair first. I'm also taking the K9 off the side and will have aluminum laser cut pieces made to attach to the side. So for now, no real picture updates.

40. amigaman

amigaman New Member

41. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

Still no progress on this, a lot of my time recently has been taken up finishing my Alien head. It's only taken two and a half years, but it'll be finally done soon. Once done with that, I'm going to be diving into K9 a lot more.

42. amigaman

amigaman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kerr Avon @ May 9 2006, 12:18 AM) [snapback]1240998[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]
    Are there any recient pics, or a web address of your build?

43. amigaman

amigaman New Member

<div class='quotetop'>(Kerr Avon @ Jul 27 2006, 08:42 PM) [snapback]1289184[/snapback]</div>

Found some great switches at all electronics:

All Electronics has 1" square buttons that look like a great match for
    the control panel:

http://www.allelectronics.com/matrix/illum...ushbuttons.html

at less than $4 each it looks like a great deal.

Andy

Check out my K9 build here:

http://www.astromechbuilder.com/mechloader...9+Build/Day+12/

44. ob1al

ob1al Sr Member

I recently met Matt Irvine and managed to take a few pics of K9 - hopefully these are of some use to you:

K9 1

k9 2

k9 3

k9 4

k9 5

k9 6

k9 7

k9 8

k9 9

k9 10

k9 11

And just for good measure... ;)

k9 12

Matt told me that he used an electric wheelechair motor inside K9.

Regards

Al

45. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>(amigaman @ Aug 21 2006, 02:53 PM) [snapback]1304565[/snapback]</div>
    Nice work on yours. I've located all the buttons and while those you put links for are good, they aren't 100% accurate. I'm going to go with the accurate ones, even with cost issues. Sadly, with everything gearing up for Dragon Con and a heavy work schedule, I've not had time yet. I'm just finishing up some other projects I had on back burner (Alien head, Replicator, other stuff) and will be able to devote more time to K9 after Dragon Con.

<div class='quotetop'>(ob1al @ Aug 21 2006, 08:28 PM) [snapback]1304746[/snapback]</div>
    In the words of the Doctor, "FANTASTIC."

I'm archiving those for my build up, very nice pics. Did you get a chance to take him for a drive?

Looking at them closely, what's the switch on his rear next to the handle? Power switch?

46. Vaderman

Vaderman Sr Member

Is there a list of off the shelf parts that are accurate?

Thanks for posting the great pics.
    I think I may be adding this little fellow to my list.

47. LastODJedi

LastODJedi New Member

I gots to get me one of these.

48. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

1/20/07, Has it Been That Long?

Issues were found with the casting I received. The gelcoat on it was practically non existent at some areas, the other side actually had a small hole, there is one side missing the lower lip (as you can see in the first picture), and there was some bowing and warping of some panels as well as several cracks that kept causing issues. Unfortunately, it would have been too much work to try to get the existing body into shape, and I'm not entirely convinced the fiberglass resin entirely cured as it kept causing some of the primer coat to shed.

So what to do? Take that puppy, sand it down, foam fill it, draw in the sides where it was bowed up, reshape some of the legs, fill in the holes and make a new one from what I could salvage.

Some months later, the cleaned up body was cast and today I ran a perfect copy with all the corrections to the body issues. Slush cast in the mold, the body is resin keeping it lightweight and durable. The leg pillars have also been filled with expanding foam to provide greater strength as well as the lower lips being reinforced as well. The raw body came out beautifully. You can see some of the gray primer embedded in the resin that flaked off from the resculpted fiberglass body. However that fiberglass body was run, it just kept shedding primer on it for some reason.

With the body cast, I can start cleaning it up, cutting panels, and fitting hardware when I have time next.

<div align="center">[​IMG]

[​IMG]</div>

49. Cyberman

Cyberman Sr Member RPF PREMIUM MEMBER

STUNNING piece of work.. I've been following the project closely and really impressed with your quality and detail.

Cyb.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kerr Avon @ Jan 21 2007, 06:30 AM) [snapback]1401718[/snapback]</div>
    [/b][/quote]

50. Kerr Avon

Kerr Avon Master Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Cyberman @ Jan 21 2007, 02:10 AM) [snapback]1401732[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. I hope to get time to work on it this weekend. I should be able to get the inside cleaned up, get the handles mounted and the tail hole cut as well as some exterior cleanup.