Project K9 (Update 5/26/07)

Kerr Avon

Master Member
Today I received and ripped open something I've been hunting down for years. Some people like R2D2, Robby, the B9, or other robots, but for me, there's only K9, the mechanical canine companion to the Doctor's fourth regeneration and to Sarah Jane Smith.

<div align="center">
05-08-06-ProjectK9-01.jpg

</div>

I'm going to be documenting the building of K9 on my site, here as I go from raw kit to complete and RC controlled K9.

Last edited:
wow where did you get the kit from? I want a k-9 so bad since i was kid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kerr Avon @ May 8 2006, 09:18 PM) [snapback]1240998[/snapback]</div>
Today I received and ripped open something I've been hunting down for years. Some people like R2D2, Robby, the B9, or other robots, but for me, there's only K9, the mechanical canine companion to the Doctor's fourth regeneration and to Sarah Jane Smith.

<div align="center">
05-08-06-ProjectK9-01.jpg

I'm going to be documenting the building of K9 on my site, here as I go from raw kit to complete and RC controlled K9.
[/b][/quote]

From over seas. I'm not sure that the person has any more, but this is supposed to have been pulled directly from a Mk II studio mold.

And I know that this may not be the most popular item on the board, but why is the view counter not indicating any views?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Kerr Avon @ May 9 2006, 01:54 AM) [snapback]1241045[/snapback]</div>
why is the view counter not indicating any views?
[/b]

Is it possible the view counter is busted? I noticed myself that there were threads with zero listed views, even though I KNEW there had to be views.

- k

There's a really good PDF of dimensions of K9 that I'm going to be adding to my site once I've had a chance to contact the developer of the PDF. It's got everything you'd need to scratch build a body.

Yes, there's something wrong with the hit counter.

Neat acquisition. Love robots.

"Mk II"...does that mean the new show version? Meaning it had to be remade from scratch? Would be interesting to hear the history of the original prop, what happened to it, and its recreation.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Treadwell @ May 9 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]1241271[/snapback]</div>
Yes, there's something wrong with the hit counter.

Neat acquisition. Love robots.

"Mk II"...does that mean the new show version? Meaning it had to be remade from scratch? Would be interesting to hear the history of the original prop, what happened to it, and its recreation.
[/b]

The Mk I K-9 was left with the 4th Doctor's companion, Leela. The Mk II was left with the 4th Doctor's companion, Romana. The Doctor also sent Sarah Jane Smith another Mk II K-9 as a present.

Rick

Really? Where does the Doctor keep getting them? If I recall, didn't he pick up the first K9 on some space station in the future from an excentric inventor?
And I thought the episode "School Reunion" was weird in that I didn't remember the Doctor leaving a K9 with Sarah.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kalarcana @ May 9 2006, 05:13 PM) [snapback]1241345[/snapback]</div>
The Mk I K-9 was left with the 4th Doctor's companion, Leela. The Mk II was left with the 4th Doctor's companion, Romana. The Doctor also sent Sarah Jane Smith another Mk II K-9 as a present.

Rick
[/b]

That is just too cool for words. I always had a soft spot for this little guy, loved the "Reunion" episode. Can't believe you were lucky enough to get a pull from one of the originals. :thumbsup More pictures please. :)

Bill

P.S. Thanks for the awesome screengrabs, Phase Pistol.

IIRC, Sarah Jane first got K-9 as a gift in a pilot for a spin-off, "K-9 and Company." And I think he was a mark 3, not a two.

Anyway, Kerr, congrats on finding that body. If the PDF is the one I'm thinking of, it's very good.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dropshipbob @ May 9 2006, 02:37 PM) [snapback]1241400[/snapback]</div>
Really? Where does the Doctor keep getting them? If I recall, didn't he pick up the first K9 on some space station in the future from an excentric inventor?
[/b]

Yeah, K-9 first appears in the Tom Baker serial "The Invisible Enemy"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-9_(Doctor_Who)

But when something happens to K9 or after he gives one away as a gift, the Doctor always seems to have another one.

Not really a mystery when you recall that the Doctor lives in a time machine that can travel to any point in space at any period in history. He probably just nips back to the 50th century and takes another one. Or the same one, over and over. B)

- k

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dropshipbob @ May 9 2006, 06:37 PM) [snapback]1241400[/snapback]</div>
And I thought the episode "School Reunion" was weird in that I didn't remember the Doctor leaving a K9 with Sarah.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kalarcana @ May 9 2006, 05:13 PM) [snapback]1241345[/snapback]

Rick
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Time to find K9 and company.

Been adding some information to the parts pages, I've got many pieces on order and I'm going to try to start a little on it this weekend. There's a little bit of fiberglass damage that it received in shipping from overseas.

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back