Predators - This Bugs Me

PredatrHuntr

Master Member
I was watching Predators on my phone this afternoon and realized there is something that I really dislike. The "Classic" P1 is very much the original in the 1st movie - with the exception of one major malfunction. When he closes his mouth the cheek flaps bend INWARD!!! This looks ridonkulous! Open mouth, the Pred looks ok but I really don't like the way the cheeks bend:

CLASSIC.jpg.png

Now that you mentioned it, it does look off when the mouth is closed. Other then that I think they did a great job at trying to recreate the original P1. I imagine going from the movie technology of 1987 and the technology of 2010, that could play a big part in the overall look as far as the color goes, but they did a lot better job then AVP with their Scar Predator. I mean, I liked the movie but I wish they would have kept his mask on. Come to think of it, the sound that the P1 made is a lot more deep to me. Makes me think of how they created the sound. Some bits reminds me of a crocodiles bellow.

yes i noticed that whilst watching it
its the same problem as the AVP preds which is very dissapointing that they cant even get that right

another thing that bugs me is the fact the jaws never move on any of the predators in the movie

beserker or classic i could have swarn predators can move there bottom jaw but in predators they never do the mandibles move but never the jaw

OH but they can move there jaw, and in this movie he can move his to a ridiculous extent.
predatorpic3.png

Looks like you can fit an entire persons head in there. On another note one thing that really bothered me was the sounds the classic made they sounded stupid and didn't even match what was going on.

-Chris

OH but they can move there jaw, and in this movie he can move his to a ridiculous extent.

Looks like you can fit an entire persons head in there. On another note one thing that really bothered me was the sounds the classic made they sounded stupid and didn't even match what was going on.

-Chris

True, the P1S did open his mouth pretty far during that scene and did sound different then the P1 did. But I imagine that not every predator sounds exactly the same. He probably wasn't going after a roar [like a battle cry roar] like the P1 did though, probably acted more insane with rage and wanted to get out to kick some *.

-Chris

But then again, this Pred was stuck on that totem for days, months. Over time all animals, even people's voices can change if they are malnutrition. Well, that's my theory for Classic's voice sounded awkward.

It seems like to me Jason that they casted the silicone when it was stretched out as oppose to the closed mouth. Steve Wang mentioned this before in his Cinema Makeup School video that depending how either foam latex or silicone is casted and then placed on the actor or Under-skull you get what is called very hard buckles or dips in the skin that doesn't reallly look natural at all like real skin. He was having this problem when he was casting the werewolfs in underworld because the actor's head was smaller then the wolf's and the necks were really thick he had to come up with a method of taking care of the problem that way it would not look retarded on camera. I 100% agree with you about the problem though dude.

That always bugged me too. It was at least better than the AVP scar face. I could not stand that row of teeth and how far the mandibles extended.

Agreed with the cheek issue, that really bugs the hell out of me. (and the fact that hes fat)
As for jaw movement yeah the classic does move his jaw a bit in the scene mentioned above but its still rediculous that when you've got a close up of him later in the movie when hes just there, mandibles closed and with his gob wide open... it looks ****
Also the berserker, im certain he does actually move his jaw quite alot, if you watch the scene when he takes his mask off to reveal his mandibles stretching around the back of his head (not literally) he does have quite a bit of expression in that way. i may be wrong as im trying to remember in my head cuz im at work but im pretty sure.

It seems like to me Jason that they casted the silicone when it was stretched out as oppose to the closed mouth. Steve Wang mentioned this before in his Cinema Makeup School video that depending how either foam latex or silicone is casted and then placed on the actor or Under-skull you get what is called very hard buckles or dips in the skin that doesn't reallly look natural at all like real skin. He was having this problem when he was casting the werewolfs in underworld because the actor's head was smaller then the wolf's and the necks were really thick he had to come up with a method of taking care of the problem that way it would not look retarded on camera. I 100% agree with you about the problem though dude.

Agreed. First thought came to mind was a previous thread about how the casts need to be made while the mandibles are partially closed, so you don't end up with the AVP effect, as I'm calling it...

Per the sounds, yeah, he may have been a "classic", but no two animals sound exactly the same...

I’ve noticed this as well. The first time I saw ‘Predators’ I knew there was something that didn’t sit quite right with the PIS design.
The second time I watched the film I figured out what it was. The P1S seemed to be unable to shut his jaw completely, but oddly he seemed to still be able to work his mandibles. I thought along the lines of Berserk_ wolf, in that perhaps this (slack jaw) was due to the stress and hardship the poor guy had suffered…but that seems less likely to be the issue behind it than one of design.
Also, as for why others aren’t able to ‘get down’ the proper jaw/mandible articulation on theses creatures - do you think it could be on purpose? Maybe the particular mechanics we see in the original Predator design are copyrighted or something? And maybe that’s why no one else seems to be able to recreate it.
~Estelle

I’ve noticed this as well. The first time I saw ‘Predators’ I knew there was something that didn’t sit quite right with the PIS design.
The second time I watched the film I figured out what it was. The P1S seemed to be unable to shut his jaw completely, but oddly he seemed to still be able to work his mandibles. I thought along the lines of Berserk_ wolf, in that perhaps this (slack jaw) was due to the stress and hardship the poor guy had suffered…but that seems less likely to be the issue behind it than one of design.
Also, as for why others aren’t able to ‘get down’ the proper jaw/mandible articulation on theses creatures - do you think it could be on purpose? Maybe the particular mechanics we see in the original Predator design are copyrighted or something? And maybe that’s why no one else seems to be able to recreate it.
~Estelle

yes thats what i was yoing he never closed his jaw whatever he was doing

You know what bugs me?
The lack of trophys, such as a necklace and skull bandolier like P1. Tracker has mandibles and Berserkes his jaws on the bio, but Falconer? I dont think he has anything like that at all. Not even a chicken bone on a string... I just feel that its missing. Ok, they do have lots of bones and skulls in their camp, but ON them - no.

You know what bugs me?
The lack of trophys, such as a necklace and skull bandolier like P1. Tracker has mandibles and Berserkes his jaws on the bio, but Falconer? I dont think he has anything like that at all. Not even a chicken bone on a string... I just feel that its missing. Ok, they do have lots of bones and skulls in their camp, but ON them - no.

You have to remember that they had a hunting camp with numerous trophies, whereas the P1 didn't and had to carry them with him. There's a boat load of trophies, just not on them and laying around everywhere. But yea, it did bother me a little too.

One thing that bothered me is the lack of battle damage of the Falconer bio. Mr. Black had scars and dents on his...Tracker had heavy battle damage to his left eye on his bio...and Falconer had little to none.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back