Post pics of your own 3D creations (not purchased)

A few 3D renders of a concept Imperial transport I built in Blender in 2022, which I plan on scratchbuilding from styrene, etc, now that I've got back into analogue modelling after decades of doing CGI. I have no access to a 3D printer so the greebles will be... errmm... fun to make and approximated. Very approximated :cautious:
I really like the design. Much better than some that made it to the SW screen.

TazMan2000

Ooooooo, like that design soon as I saw it! Awesome renders! And agree with Taz that it's better than most of the on-screen ships.

Someone do a 3D print for this newbie RPF participant so I can has this ship.

A few 3D renders of a concept Imperial transport I built in Blender in 2022, which I plan on scratchbuilding from styrene, etc, now that I've got back into analogue modelling after decades of doing CGI. I have no access to a 3D printer so the greebles will be... errmm... fun to make and approximated. Very approximated :cautious:
Nice model and renders!

Lost in Trek 's post selling his 'way underpriced' (it's a steal) helmet got me thinking that few if any have tried creating this helmet in 3D so I figured it would be a neat project to see if I could try and create something reasonably close with my limited expertise. I made vent holes on top and the back so that one could get plenty of ventilation.

Space 1999 Helmet 1.png
Space 1999 Helmet 2.png
Space 1999 Helmet 3.png
Space 1999 Helmet 4.png
Space 1999 Helmet 5.png
Space 1999 Helmet 6.png
Space 1999 Helmet 7.png

TazMan2000

Lost in Trek 's post selling his 'way underpriced' (it's a steal) helmet got me thinking that few if any have tried creating this helmet in 3D so I figured it would be a neat project to see if I could try and create something reasonably close with my limited expertise. I made vent holes on top and the back so that one could get plenty of ventilation.

View attachment 1788205View attachment 1788206View attachment 1788207View attachment 1788208View attachment 1788209View attachment 1788210View attachment 1788211

TazMan2000
You are getting good enough to do it for a living I’d say!

You are getting good enough to do it for a living I’d say!

Maybe, if I lived under a bridge. :lol: But thanks.

I'm trying to learn Plasticity but I'm thinking it will take me a while to learn the interface and remember all the shortcut commands.

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Trying to learn Plasticity. It's an amazing and very powerful program, so the learning curve is high. Thankfully there are a lot of online tutorials...unfortunately since the program is constantly being upgraded, sometimes those tutorials don't make sense since things were improved in subsequent iterations of the product.

It's certainly a different way to model than I'm used to. Not object modelling but surface modelling.

What better way to learn than to try and make a better Space 1999 helmet than my previous attempt.

Trace the images.
Helmet 1.png

Loft onto the curves then mirror the faces ensuring tangency.
Helmet 2.png

Still work to do as there is a visible edge on the back. Most likely this will not be visible when it's printed off, due to the layer lines, but might as well make it as good as I can, which is another way I can improve.

Helmet 3.png

The program has a certain way of doing things and is unforgiving. Programs way or highway. This shouldn't be that hard for me, since I've been married for over 27 years. Do what the program wants and you'll be happier. :lol

TazMan2000

Last edited:
Really the learning curve Taz...getting acquainted with a new tool/program is exciting:cool::cool:(y)(y)

Indeed. For objects with complex curves this software can really improve the output. Unfortunately, for now, the STL output is not of high quality. I will try outputting to a different format and see if other software can make the conversion with higher definition.

TazMan2000

That's good to know. I just started playing with the demo and outputting to STL for printing would be my main use for it.

Plasticity is still in development, so that might change if there is enough push to do so. I think it's at 1.4.xx now and if you buy it you will get all of the upgrades for 12months for $149USD. For $299USD you will get that, plus more import and export formats but access to the beta program for 12 months. (I'm certain, that that changed recently were the cheaper version was just getting the 1.x.xx upgrades and the higher price getting the 2.x.xx upgrades).

I've seen the mesh for STL output and it doesn't seem like it's the quality I need, however, I haven't tested myself yet. The NGONS output looked better, but STL translation may not be up to snuff. I think the developer is trying to compete with Moi3D and a free program like Blender. The videos I've seen, seem more geared to game development where scale and accuracy are not that important but recent developments are trying to incorporate more accuracy and CAD features. It's difficult to predict which direction this software is heading.

TazMan2000

I think the developer is trying to compete with Moi3D and a free program like Blender.
It's doubtful the developer's trying to compete with Blender, given they already provide a bridge between that and Plasticity. Animation, video editing, tracking, compositing and rendering are a whole different ball game compared to modelling alone. They're likelier complementing Blender and tapping into Blender's huge user base with artist-intuitive modelling capabilities Blender doesn't have but which many users would love.

It's doubtful the developer's trying to compete with Blender, given they already provide a bridge between that and Plasticity. Animation, video editing, tracking, compositing and rendering are a whole different ball game compared to modelling alone. They're likelier complementing Blender and tapping into Blender's huge user base with artist-intuitive modelling capabilities Blender doesn't have but which many users would love.
Regardless of it it developing a bridge to Blender, Plasticity still is in competition with the model creation side of Blender. Pretty formidable competition since Blender is free. Many companies develop interoperability software to other competing companies in order to win them over with extra features.

TazMan2000

Working on the helmet rear. As you see, some of the surfaces are smoothed together, except at the middle seam which seem to have lost tangency. I'm not sure if I want to correct that since I almost pulled my hair out in order to get this far. Lofting surfaces is very finicky and many times it didn't work with the geometry. In any case, that unevenness with the seam will hardly be noticeable when 3D printed, especially after sanding.

I'm having an issue with the visor and when I try to apply a variable fillet the program crashes, so I may have to find a way to redesign that part.

Helmet 4.png

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back